Video Playback From Stock Radio

it's nice to know that it can be done. unfortunately, their forums are in russian cyrillic and the video description doesn't point to a specific how-to thread.

Google Chrome will translate for you....I am looking for a thread.
i don't think there was a specific thread but you might be able to contact newex in the russian forums for more info.

i think the video basically showed an addition of a dvb-t tuner, which is a form of terrestrial digital broadcasting found in russia and other regions in europe. it's not for north america. i didn't get into the details of how they did it but the mpeg encoding meant it was regionally dependent.

summary:
after that video was published, the forums were still discussing various alternatives, issues and potential costly options - replacing the head unit with chinese ones, finding if it was possible to re-flash the radio firmware with untested hacks, adding windows ce via a mini car-puter/car pc, or any ipad or android options. replacing the touchscreen had its own issues and quirks. the car is still relatively new to expect acceptable aftermarket support from the likes of pioneer or alpine or even apple integration.

nothing definitive showed up for me especially since, as far as i understood it, there's no video input on the stock unit that can be seamlessly integrated and would work with the existing firmware.
- it was suggested that the rear view camera wasn't the way to go since it's integrated into the "parktronic" unit that a more benign approach was recommended/preferred.
- a big concern was keeping all the functionality of the stock cx-5 controls in the steering wheel while adding potential candidates of aftermarket hardware -issues with preserving the steering wheel controls.
they've broken a lot of ground in discussing aftermarket alternatives but nothing ideal. that's as far as i've gotten with the discussion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back