Trunk Light Melting

bushidoboy

:
CX-5 GT
Ok has anyone encountered a light housing meltdown from the cargo/trunk light? If so, is there a way to prevent it (besides the obvious of not having it on). I tried an LED light in the past and it may be a coincidence, but some "power module" shorted out and had to be replaced by Mazdausa. I keep my trunk open with the light on for about 4 -5 minutes tops at times due to loading/unloading various items at night. I noticed today I couldn't toggle the on/off switch. I removed the housing to notice the black plastic tab that comes between the metal contacts melted away. YIKES, didn't realize keeping the trunk light on for even that short time would be harmful to the housing.

Well I was able to bend the metal tab a bit to allow the remaining part of the black tab to work....so in short my light has a functional on/off button. But not sure how long this will last. Gonna call my Mazda later so see if they can just replace the part without having to go through a full service and down the car for a day.

No issues so far, but I only have my hatch open for less than a minute at a time. Just long enough to toss my lunch kit in and retrieve it when at work. I was a bit confused by your post, did you put a LED in or was it the factory bulb that melted?

No issues so far, but I only have my hatch open for less than a minute at a time. Just long enough to toss my lunch kit in and retrieve it when at work. I was a bit confused by your post, did you put a LED in or was it the factory bulb that melted?

Sorry, the FACTORY BULB is melting my stock housing it seems. The LED BULB didn't quite work out well, something malfunctioned with it in and MAZDA had to down the car for a while to figure out what happened. So since that, I am weary about LED light upgrades.

Sorry, the FACTORY BULB is melting my stock housing it seems. The LED BULB didn't quite work out well, something malfunctioned with it in and MAZDA had to down the car for a while to figure out what happened. So since that, I am weary about LED light upgrades.

thats weird, i had no problems at all with my led cargo light
where did you get yours from?

Back