hidden personalization features

h2oflight

:
2013 cx5 touring
anyone know how to get into the page for changing the daytime drive lights to off position? I got into it once by pushing various buttons but I don't know what the sequence was. The up/down arrows to the right lit and I went to the next page which had the selections.

I dont think you can turn the DRL off.

I would be interested in knowing what can be personalized and how to access the settings.

I think you're talking about the diagnostics screen, someone had posted how to get in there too lazy to search now. I wouldn't mess with anything in there though if there actually is any type of setting you can change.

I dont think you can turn the DRL off..

The dealer can apparently change a number of things. See attached (from the manual 9-10):

Attachments

• personalization.jpg
    personalization.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 3,093
Anyone figure this out? Let us know, this would be very interesting to be able to do this ourselves, or see what else there is......

I searched and it access to the stereo diagnostics menu is gained by pressing the Power/Volume button and the Seek Up button together. (Press the Power/Volume button slightly earlier)

Hope this helps

Hit Setup top right button. On the screen there is display, sound, vehicle. Hit the Vehicle and there should be three options for locks, lights and something else. Each of these have options with in them just select lights and Daytime Running lights On/Off. Confirm.

I had the DRLs deactivated by the dealer. They gave me trouble about doing it but ended up deactivating them in the end. Initially they didn't know how to do it, but got help by calling Mazda North America.

Hit Setup top right button. On the screen there is display, sound, vehicle. Hit the Vehicle and there should be three options for locks, lights and something else. Each of these have options with in them just select lights and Daytime Running lights On/Off. Confirm.
I think this is absolutely correct. I have changed many settings through this setup screen... Including sound options, lock/not lock doors when start driving, etc. No need to go to the dealer :)

Why would you want to turn off your Daytime Runing Lights? Isn't that a safety feature. When the Switch is off, only the headlights come on non of the coloured lights.

I too have no idea why one would turn off DRL.

It's usually an appearance thing, some people just don't like the look of driving a car during the day with the lights on. I have also seen some people who are accidentally (I assume) driving at night with just the DRL on. This doesn't seem as likely since the dash wouldn't light up, but I guess not having any light thrown onto the dark street in front of you would be more of an indication that your lights aren't on...

Apparently this refers to an upscale radio I don't have. How do do you do it on a Sport? I can't find any button with such behavior, but the manual says I can change settings. Door locking can be changed from the lock buttons, but not other settings?DRL uses power, may eventually burn out bulbs, I don't like the possibility of driving without full lights, and I don't like driving into oncoming DRLs that can be quite bright. The safety value varies with the study, but (from Wikipedia) "A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%"

Why do so many (mainly) American owners wish to disable their DRL's. It was proven in Sweden and Norway, who pioneered this idea in the 1970's, that it reduced certain kinds of accidents because unfortunatly not many drivers are blessed with the eyesight of Superman.

You can certainly see when a Audi is approaching.

Its a shame that Mazda were short sighted by not fitting energy saving LEDs for DLR's

Even the CRV has a row of LEDs.

You can certainly see when a Audi is approaching.

All modern cars have DRL's. They are required. Some are LED, some are ffilament. In the US I've never noticed that Audi DRL's are any more visible than most others.

Its a shame that Mazda were short sighted by not fitting energy saving LEDs for DLR's

My CX-5 came with LED DRL's. I believe it's part of the Tech package. I do not think they are anymore visible than the non-Tech DRL's but they do consume less wattage (and thus less drag on the generator).

Xtrailman, have you made the leap into a new CX-5 yet?

DRLs are NOT required in the US.
From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: "No U.S. state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

Interestingly, General Motors petitioned the NHTSA to require DRLs, but they refused saying in 2009 "Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rulemaking. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps."

DRLs are NOT required in the US.
From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: "No U.S. state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

Interestingly, General Motors petitioned the NHTSA to require DRLs, but they refused saying in 2009 "Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rulemaking. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps."

100% Correct. Any LED lights you see on cars now are solely styling elements. Audi copied BMW's "angel eyes" and used LED lights which BMW then started using as well. Fast forward 2 or 3 years and now every car company is using LED lights to accent their vehicles.

As far as the studies in europe, you can manipulate data to make just about anything true so I wouldn't put much stock in them. I suppose it is possible that since those countries are so much farther north that the days are shorter and winters longer then perhaps DRL could provide a benefit in situations where people forget to turn on their lights at dusk when they should.

Back