headlamp vibration

soupafly

:
Mazda CX-5 2.2D SPORT
I drove in the dark for the first time yesterday and so has the opportunity to trial the xenons. Wow, my first experience and such near daylight white light they emit. Really love the super illumination.

I was rather distracted however by the headlamp vibrating when I drove over road drain covers, Russ, pothole and the like. The headlamp beam shook moderately and it is off putting.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it is a feature of the xenons, the cornering mechanism or isolated to a minor fault on my car.

Cheers

I think every car has this issue, Xenons or not

Other cars I've had are different in that the headlamp 'bounce with the car as the suspension reacts to a bump in the roof. My cx5 headlamps seem to react to a bump in the road completely independently of the chassis / suspension and seem to become unsettled easily.

I was wondering about that too. I've noticed a vibration as well when I go over rough pavement.

Might be the self-leveling feature trying to keep them pointed level?

soupafly, is this your first xenons car? The self levelling certainly causes a bit more headlamp jiggle than on a fixed unit. I have had a couple of xenon equipped cars, different marques, and they all do it. Takes a little getting used to but you will :)

I believe that this is the result of the arc type light. (My Audi, Volvo, and Mustang all have done the same)

Since there is no physical filament, but rather a very small, short, controlled lightning bolt, that the arc can be disrupted and look like it is shaking when really it is flickering. This flickering exaggerates the perception of the movement since it is creating a stop motion/strobe effect. Just my 2 cents.

Best,

David

Back