Winter tires question from a neophyte

elmarto

:
Tribute 2006 -> Soon CX-5!
Hi,

I own a CX-5 GS with 17" tires and am shopping for winter tires. Tire Rack recommends (among others) the minus size 225/70R16. The thing is, I just checked the Michelin X-Ice I had on the Tribute I traded in and they're 235/70R16. Would those be ok as well? That would save me LOTS as I would only need to buy the rims.

Thanks!

My dealer is advertising a "package deal" for both the Tribute and CX-5. In both cases the package includes 235/70/16 tires so I have to think they would be OK.......but, the CX-5 is a lighter vehicle and you'd be spreading the load out on a wider set of tires, therefore not as much pressure on the road. I have to think that this could lead to a bit more slippage on icy or slushy roads and a little less bite in the heavier snow. Whether it's enough to notice, I can't really say, but maybe someone could chime in with some other advice or recommendations. Because I have to start from scratch, I'm looking at 225/70/16's based on TireRack and other recommendations I've seen when downsizing the wheels.

Back