Positive Feedback

blackfin1

:
Mazda CX5
I just purchased my CX5 a couple of days ago, before I joined the forum and I have to say, I think I made a big mistake. All the feedback on this forum especially the CX5 engine tranny threads are totally negative. It seems that the car has many problems. I have 300 miles and not a problem yet, can you chime in with your milage and some positive feedback about the car? I hope its going to be reliable and not give me any problems.

THanks,
Sal

I just purchased my CX5 a couple of days ago, before I joined the forum and I have to say, I think I made a big mistake. All the feedback on this forum especially the CX5 engine tranny threads are totally negative. It seems that the car has many problems. I have 300 miles and not a problem yet, can you chime in with your milage and some positive feedback about the car? I hope its going to be reliable and not give me any problems.l

I haven't noticed that much negativity, though as always keep in mind that forums will generally get more posts about the 1% of problems rather than the 99% of "my car ran fine today" experiences.

I'm only at 650 miles with mine, but I've had no problems. In fact, I lurked on this forum for many months prior to buying mine, and it was the rarity of reported problems that convinced me to finally buy one.

Nearing 10k miles, and ours hasn't skipped a beat.

Relax! Katmar hit the nail on the head - If people are happy, they are out enjoying it. If there are troubled or frustrated, they are venting online.

Shame on our negative society. :)

I have had my Sky Blue Mica FWD Touring for 5 days and am quite happy. Again, it is not as slow as people say, no where near 80's 4 cylinder car bad. When I test drove, we had my 4 family and about a 300lb saleman in the car and it accelerated just fine. Maybe not as quick as my Mazda 3, but good enough. It does just fine driving back and forth to work, maybe if you constantly drive with your foot on the gas/brake you won't like it. It does shift a bit different than the other AT's and there are places where I would let off the gas to make it shift that aren't there. It's more just put your foot on the gas and let the AT shift on it's own.

"Totally negative" and "car has many problems", where does this stuff come from?..... Need to check with people that actually have thousands of miles of experience with vehicle.

Short answer (at 8000 miles/6 months): zero warranty defects, 26.1 MPG driving in heavy traffic 5 days a week, roomy, comfy, safe, luxurious, fun to drive.

Note: I have 2 premium sport sedans that I compare CX-5 to every week, and CX-5 compares quite nicely.

OP, I hope you did not take my negativity on the Nav system in the other thread to mean that I would transfer that to the entire vehicle. I have been thoroughly enjoying my almost 3000 miles of driving in my CX5. I have to admit that about a week after I had it, I got the buyers remorse feeling for about ten minutes, but that was because this was the first new off the lot vehicle I had ever purchased, and it all seemed to be going too well....that shook off the next time I looked at it and was buried in the next drive. This vehicle is everything I could want in this class of automobiles. I have a pickup (Ford Ranger), happy with that too, but will not be fitting four into it, or parking it as easily, and definitely not getting the mileage of my CX5. Conversely, the day I complain about the hauling ability for plywood sheets in my CX5 will be the day I realize my expectations are out of line for what I am driving. Even with my worst thoughts on the nav system, this is still a premium vehicle for me. I have economy in all aspects I want, fuel usage, size (externally small for parking etc. yet large enough to haul four adults with storage), performance (not a straight line burner, but can carve curves). My definition of economy is "Time Well Spent", so the person who wants the opposite of what I want in a vehicle is not wrong, just spending their time well according to their definition.

As for making everyone happy, or having no defects, new vehicles have a slew of statistical control methods that ensure a great product 99.999999% of the time, it is the .000001% (percentages exaggerated for effect) of the issues that you will hear about of course, and then it is up to the manufacturer to resolve that issue. I do have confidence that if anything crops up, I can reference it here first, to make sure I am verifying it with others, and if no one else has the problem, then I will still present it to my dealer. Of course what is an issue for me, may not be for others. I try not to have low standards, but compared to some people I may be elevated or in the gutter on their scale, while I try to stay in the middle of the global scale....

Thanks for the response, I am happy to hear good things about the CX5. I personally am happy with mine. It rides great, looks good and is comfortable. Oh and by the way, the milage is awesome, I am doing 31mpg. I am happy to hear that the problems could only be a small fraction compared to all the vehicles out there. I have no issues except for the driverside mirror shaking abit. No big deal, but I probably would not have noticed it until I read it here on a post. I quess I am just uncomforatble knowing that I/we are the first ones to have a cx5. I am hoping its reliable and knowing mazda (having 2 Mazda MPV's many years ago) it should be OK.

Thanks again and no REMANG I did not take your comments as negative. I am happy that you helped me out with the Nav system decision. Thanks Again!
Sal

Last edited:
Sal,

I know the old paradigm used to be to avoid first model year cars....that is the one I was brought up on. I believe now, with all the computer modeling, aerodynamics modeling, software testing, etc. that a new model year car may have an edge over a well established model with a simple update....reason being, instead of a systems engineering approach to the entire concept (such as the CX-5), an established model gets little attention EXCEPT for the update, and sometimes that integration does not go well because those updating it were not on the concept team. If you have a subscription to Consumer Reports, look at an established model like a Crown Vic (not bashing, just an example) over the history of the model years. There will be electrical issues when a system is upgraded that was not originally on the vehicle, emissions are changed, etc.

One thing I noticed in looking at CR reliability reports (at least I think it was CR, I had looked at so many in my research) is that the Mazda, while not the most reliable (although up toward the top), had a much narrower range of reliability. In other words, Honda and Toyota had a higher reliability rank, but their bands were very long, meaning that while some cars were very reliable, others fared much worse. With the Mazda, while the top cars were not quite as reliable, the bottom cars were still much more reliable than the lower ranking Toyotas and Hondas (hope that makes sense). That's one of the many things that sold me on my first Mazda. BTW, nearing 1K and absolutely love it!

My CX-5 has been stellar.

HA! You should have seen the MS6 sections on 6club in December 2006. I joined right after I bought my Speed6, read thread after thread of horror stories. It kept me up at night.
The CX-5 sections here haven't got crap on that. Actually, I was thinking quite the opposite, and wondering when (or if) we would begin to see real problem trends crop up here on the forum.

I was sick after buying by Speed6 and reading the forum. But, in the end, nearly 6 years later and the car has been pretty damn good to me. So cheer up!

On my CX 5 I now have 5000 miles with NO problems or any reason to go back to the dealer. 0-60 is a non issue unless you plan on racing it and forgetting the reason you purchased it in the 1st place....25-26 MPG in the city and 31 on the road.
The CX5 GT is everything I could have hoped for and have NO regrets.

Bob

3500km on a diesel CX5.
Watching for the "oil" level to rise on the dipstick and waiting for the DPF to require regeneration burn. BUT, the CX5 has been nothing but pure joy.
Dealer said if you heeded everything you read on internet forums, you'd never do/buy anything!
My biggest challenge thus far is to wrest some wheel time from my wife! (Well, it is her car after all).

I have greater faith in Mazda (than the Euro brands in Australia) to rectify any issue as it arises.
Just drive the wheels off the thing, thus reaching the service interval via distance travelled rather than time elapsed.

6000 miles on mine and quite happy.
No transmission problems here, in fact, with the manual I find it fast enough for a daily-driver, but not fast enough to get me in trouble, plus the mileage is awesome for a car this size.

I love mine, it does everything any other CUV can do + its fun to drive and gets amazing gas mileage.

Back