Finally a lowered spring setup for 2wd CX-5!

"The concern to ride comfort is unnecessary, too. The ride comfort to say in generalization decreases, but the hard riding taste that controlled the posture change of the car surely tends to be desirable for sports-oriented driver." if anyone could just compare this with H&R to see the difference...

I think what it's saying there is that ride comfort decreases with the lowering of a car for sporting intentions. This is a fact. I've lowered the last 3 cars i've owned and ride quality took a hit each time. But stance and handling increased. Its a trade off thats for sure.

I'm glad to see they're out there. I'm not paying 500 bucks for lowering springs but this could lead to some development on our shores.

one question, what happen if we did not use bulldog adjuster? will it destroy our lower arms?

Actually the H&K Springs P/N 28875-1 work for FWD models as well. I emailed H&K HRO and they said the springs were for Petrol FWD and AWD Models. and H&K P/N 28875-2 is for Diesel Models FWD/AWD. And they H&K springs are only 250ish dollars shipped. A lot less than the 500 dollar Autoexe springs.

Actually the H&K Springs P/N 28875-1 work for FWD models as well. I emailed H&K HRO and they said the springs were for Petrol FWD and AWD Models. and H&K P/N 28875-2 is for Diesel Models FWD/AWD. And they H&K springs are only 250ish dollars shipped. A lot less than the 500 dollar Autoexe springs.
so how important is the bulldog adjuster? or the correct question : what if we don't use bulldog adjuster? would it wear out our factory component?

The Email I got is below. I would assume the adjusters are not that important. All these companies like H&R do research and im sure if there would have be a risk of damage to other components it would have been stated or the information would have been made available.

Dear Mr. Fuchs,

Thanks for your e-mail.

We have the following springs available for the CX-5 Type KE:

p/n 28875-1, only for the petrol engines, 2WD + 4WD, lowering approx. 30mm front and 45mm rear (as the car sits a lot higher on the rear compared to the front)

p/n 28875-2, only for the diesel engines, 2WD + 4WD, lowering approx. 30mm front and 45mm rear (as the car sits a lot higher on the rear compared to the front)

Available at your local H&R dealer.

Best regards
H&R Spezialfedern
Yvonne Menzebach

can you guys verify that the H&R spring that corksport is selling is this type?

p/n 28875-1, only for the petrol engines, 2WD + 4WD, lowering approx. 30mm front and 45mm rear

I'm not personally subscribing to any of the above about Those H&R springs working for both models. There's about a 300lb difference between models and in no way would those two models come from the factory with the same spring rates. One would have to design spring rates for each model from the ground up.

As far as that email goes, Its probably accurate in that they would "work". Will they fit? Sure, its the same suspension. Would it be the proper spring rate for the 2wd? I highly doubt it. Why? for all the obvious reasons i wouldn't put Mazda 6 springs on my Mazdaspeed 6. Same chassis and suspension, but completely different weight. Which in turn requires different spring rates.

A company will come along and make a proper lowering spring for the 2wd. Until then, i would suggest one just waits.

Those linkages will help correct what your essentially ruining by lowering the vehicle. that would be camber and in some cases, toe, particularly when cornering.

When you lower your car you will need an alignment. Thing is most common commuter type vehicles (i.e. CX5) do not come with adjustable bits. Such as caster and camber. Thats where the aftermarket comes in. This gives the alignment shop the ability to best re-align the car to factory spec. Otherwise the best they can do is toe, which in most cases is adjusted with the tie rods. To much negative camber will wear the inside of the tires.

What i've written here is a simple generalization. I would suggest to read up on the basics of suspension and how lowering a car effects its geometry. Or find a reputable shop to get you set up. If your ok with lowering your car with improper springs and skipping out on the alignment then be ready for a lousy ride, terrible handling and quickly worn tires.

A 300lb difference isnt much. Thats 75lbs dispersed to each of the 4 springs.. how much do you think 75lbs will move a spring thats holding 3500lbs..

Anyway.. Ill have my set in this week hopefully.

Yes while the car is sitting still there's a mere 75lbs. (which, btw, in the world of suspension geometry is a lot) What about while cornering? Or absorbing bumps and dips in the road? Or most importantly, while braking? The forces acting on the suspension are far greater in these instance's. Its in these instance's, that the marriage of spring rate and dampening rate have their greatest effect on the outcome of ride, handling, and harshness.

What's really gonna matter for you is rather or not you love or hate the ride. Certainly the springs will fit. However it may or may not wreck the ride with excessive stiffness.

Hey, for what its worth, you could put these on and love em and they work out great for you. And hopefully thats the case.

Btw. Its going to be another month and half til I get em. I thought they'd ship but my shop contacted his distributor and they dont have them in stock and it will be a while

A 300lb difference isnt much. Thats 75lbs dispersed to each of the 4 springs.. how much do you think 75lbs will move a spring thats holding 3500lbs...
Except it's not 3500 lbs. - each spring is only holding 1/4 the vehicle. So, it's 75 lbs./850 lbs. (or about 10% difference).

Back