Install Bug Screen with Gutter Guard and Pet Screen

:
GA prior 16 CX5 GT
:
20 CX5 GT + Prem
After looking at the 7000 mile bug buildup on the AC and radiator and the bent fins (use a flashlight to see how much yours is clogging), I installed a bug screen using gutter guard another poster used and added window screen. I found the plastic gutter guard at Lowes and a pet screen advertised as 7 times stronger than regular screen at Home Depot. Using the outside of the upper grill as a guide I cut the gutter guard to fit and then the screen to fit the gutter guard.

2012_0910yellowBackyard0001.JPG

Using small ties that just fit through the holes in the screen I put them in position using the upper grill slots as a guide. They held the screen to the gutter guard for easier installation.

2012_0910yellowBackyard0001.JPG
2012_0910yellowBackyard0004.JPG

I removed four metal screws and multiple pop fasteners to get a opening above the grill. The larger pop fasteners are removed by prying up on the center. The smaller fasteners are removed by pushing down on the center, once out push the center back above the seat for reuse. I was not able to figure out how to remove the aluminum fasteners but on a warm day, the plastic was flexible enough for me to insert the screen and get my hand in behind to position the screen and replace one of the ties I pulled to hard and broke. Most of the ties were easy to reach through the grill.

2012_0910yellowBackyard0005.JPG

Barely fastened them until you have them all started and then go back and tightened. Pull the ties together and positioned the connector below the grill piece trimming off the excess tie for a better look. Don't get them to tight as one broke on me.

2012_0910yellowBackyard0006.JPG

The lower part is easier as just cut to length and position the ties to attach to the cross bars. Roll the screen together to fit in a center slot. The slots are large enough to easily position and attach the ties.

2012_0910yellowBackyard0009.JPG

Limited to five pictures so this is finished upper grill with bug screen.

2012_0910yellowBackyard0010.JPG

Here is what I did for the lower grille.....
I used the metal gutter guard, and with a little hammering and stretching after cutting it oversize, I worked the compound curvature into it to get it to fit. I sprayed the black platidip over the the grate as it seems to be pretty durable. The black edging you see on it is the door edge trim stuff you can find at wallyworld or auto stores, and was about $10 for a package, the gutter guard was $2. I will eventually get some thinner zip ties to make it less noticeable, but the securing of it was the simplest way to do this, if not the most aesthetic. I did not like the large openings that rocks and such could get in, eventually I will do this for the top grille as well, if not replace it with the mesh (if I can figure out how to get it off without a total front end dis-assembly...)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I like the above idea for the upper grille though...

Last edited:
Here is what I did for the lower grille.....
I used the metal gutter guard, and with a little hammering and stretching after cutting it oversize, I worked the compound curvature into it to get it to fit. I sprayed the black platidip over the the grate as it seems to be pretty durable. The black edging you see on it is the door edge trim stuff you can find at wallyworld or auto stores, and was about $10 for a package, the gutter guard was $2. I will eventually get some thinner zip ties to make it less noticeable, but the securing of it was the simplest way to do this, if not the most aesthetic. I did not like the large openings that rocks and such could get in, eventually I will do this for the top grille as well, if not replace it with the mesh (if I can figure out how to get it off without a total front end dis-assembly...)

I like the above idea for the upper grille though...

For better aesthetics, use thin black wire instead of zip ties. Did that on a few mesh grills I've done. You can't see them.

Maxx Mazda,

Thanks for the suggestion, I had considered that as well, but the safety wire I have is not thick enough, I think that some .062 would be thick enough to not cut into the plastic that the zip ties are holding the screen up with. They make some zip ties that have a much thinner profile and they do not chafe the plastic as much either, I may dig through the body fasteners section at an auto store or hit up the hardware store for some picture hanger hardware or something that allows edge of the plastic to be hooked by the hardware and a screw or bolt to hold the mesh on, that would definitely look more professional....

Does anyone out there have the dis-assembly of the front end in an exploded diagram or a pdf?

Black safety wire is perfect. It'll be plenty strong. It's just a mesh grill. Use several all around the border if you're worried.

Will the wire rust with rain and heat up there? I have some thread that has a fishing line core with a black cover that is strong but thin. If you wrapped (sew) lines of it arround and accross the grill it should hold. You would have to tie a fisn knot to get it to stay but it would be difficult to see. You need a half moon needle to work from the front.

GAXIBM,

Thanks, but on mine there appears to be something I am missing (and a couple of pop rivets not shown) that is holding it together. I hope they get the tech manuals out soon, those things are priceless (and pricey...), in the mean time, with your diagrams, I will look at mine again.

attachment.php

I have no idea what these two parts are for, but am thinking tool access. It could look interesting with a couple of horns or whatever mounted to the grille....

Found out they are where the parking sensors go on the non North American spec models!!!

Last edited:
So I went out and looked again, decided to drill out the pop rivets that were holding the parts together (4ea, not on the diagram, part number 50-519 shows it as a pop out plastic fastener) and got the thing apart to see how easy it was. Well....it is a bit of an exercise in manipulation as the part # 50-0J1 and 50-716B still have clips holding them together. To get them apart is a bit of prying and pulling while the top of the grille assembly still overlaps them. Once the clips are out, then you can maneuver 50-716B back to clear the other cross bar (50-0J1) and then up over the grille top flange and out from under the hood latch (not shown in the exploded diagram). Once the parts are out, there is plenty of room to get behind the grille to attach the bug screen. The problem is the pop rivets, I may have to go get them from Mazda if I cannot find a suitable replacement...... in the mean time it looks secure enough with just the other fasteners to drive around, the crossbar (50-0J1) is metal and held by two screws and three of the other plastic pop fasteners. Happy wrenching....

ReManG I think the diagram only shows one of each type of the fasteners -other holes the same size have the same fasteners. The metal ones that you drilled, I did not take loose, just lifted the plastic as it was flexable enough to get under. I suggest you stop by a local body shop and show them the rivits that you need, I bet they have something that will work, the local Mazda dealer did not have any in stock but could order for a big price. From your description I was not sure you took 56-371 off first with the two plastic fasteners and slipped it out from under the air intake. That cleared the hood latch for me. Did you use window screen as in my opinion the holes in the gutter guard are much to large but it makes a good backbone for the screen. I drove mine to the dealer with everything loose as I wanted help with the metal fasteners, they gave me the diagrams but suggested a local body shop...

GAXIBM,

I did take off 56-371, that was the easy part, sorry I did not include it in the description above. The plastic is indeed flexible, but my arms are a bit too big to get in there, and when you do take the rivets off, there is no cross bar in the way either (50-0J1), so you have plenty of room, it takes a bit more, but lots of working area. The other motive I had to get into this is that I want to replace the front horn (there are two horns...) with something louder eventually. I did not put a screen in yet, but the window (or pet) screen is something I will do as well, the bugs are large here in the southeast, as you are aware.... and plentiful.

Thanks for the suggestion on the local body shops, I figured the dealership would be pricey, but maybe they would have the specs for the rivets and I could find something close at fastenal, grainger, etc.

IHeartGroceries,

The mesh grill is passable for me, the idea of a rock killing my radiator or transmission cooler in stock form was the motivation (not covered by the warranty), plus I liked forming the mesh from 2D to 3D, but it is function over form. I will eventually get behind it and put better version in, and the original reason for this was a trip to the west that subsequently was cancelled for other reasons, and the occasional gravel road around here. I have picked a couple of fin bending size bugs off of it so far, so it will stay for now. When it is ready to go, eight snips with a pair of diagonal cutters, and gone.... The flying M was done with the plastidip spray can after it was pulled out, surprisingly easy and looks good, we will see about the durability.

thanks to everyone for sharing their experience & info on the bug screen. hopefully an elegant approach could be found in opening up that grille area for general overall accessibility.

when i have sufficient time, i'm thinking of re-doing my gutter guard install with an additional layer of black window screen(just like gaxibm) -which i originally bought but didn't use because i later found the gutter guard material and was short on time for an interstate desert drive.

changing out those rivets

Thanks for the ideas - I want to replace the horn, and have been concerned about those four rivets. The local Mazda parts guy suggested drilling the holes out to the right size and then replacing the rivets with smaller pop pins of the same size as the others. Now I think I'll add bug screen too.

Last edited:
I am really surprised at this design that exposes the radiator(s) to so much potential damage. The fins can bend if you barely touch them and cleaning bugs out with the grill in place looks difficult. I noticed that the CRV has a very large opening exposing the radiator as well. Isn't there a decent after market product, at least for the bottom opening?

I am really surprised at this design that exposes the radiator(s) to so much potential damage. The fins can bend if you barely touch them and cleaning bugs out with the grill in place looks difficult. I noticed that the CRV has a very large opening exposing the radiator as well. Isn't there a decent after market product, at least for the bottom opening?

I looked quite a bit and read several reviews and could find nothing that I thought would work for me. Everything was over the paint, accross the front including fenders...

Something like that makes sense with the clips. Just need to find some channel that can be heated to bent to shape and make a prototype.

Back