rear clunking noise

under200

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Anyone else notice a clunking / rattle from the rear kinda like suspension bouncing around from the rear when going over bumps at lower speeds? Does not happen all the time but intermittent. Cleared out my trunk off all extras that could be making the noise and it still pops it head up once in a while. Reminds me of a noise a detached stabilizer bar makes but it is not. Sometime this week I am going to get under it with a flashlight and take a look around, just wondering if anyone else had the issue/solution.

I haven't experienced any noise but I've heard that it could be coming from the latches in the rear seats. Try putting them down and see if you still hear the noise. If not, it's most likely the latch.

It may be the rear outboard seatbelts flopping around when not in use. A big oversight by Mazda not to provide a means to secure these when not needed. If my rear seats are up and unoccupied I insert the belts into to seat-end receptacles...if my rear seat is down in cargo mode, then I stuff the belts well under the folded seat to keep them in-place.

I am hearing this clunk that you speak of. Every time I go over a bump once in a while i hear a clunk come from under the car. I still cannot pinpoint it but it does sound like something is loose under there. I am having them check it during my first oil change

If you have a hitch and the receiver and pin are installed than that could be rattling. Also if your rear hatch isn't latched all the way it'll make a similar noise. The owners manual says you have to close it, not slam it, and push it closed with your hand.

Problem solved. It was the early production curt hitch hitting the exhaust intermittently. New revised version of the hitch cleared everything up. Thanks for the help everyone.

have found the same issue with the curtis hitch. are they willing to reimburse or replace?? or do I cut a piece out with a grinder??

Call customer support and explain the problem and ask if they have a revised version. They will offer a replacement at no cost. World of difference, good luck. Very stand up company.

I just checked my Curt hitch and I see little marks on it from the exhaust - great find! I've heard it too! I'll get in contact with them - thanks Bro

I am having the same thing and have had in to the dealer twice and they keeping fixing something else but the noise is still there and I hear it from the passenger rear end. Was wondering if you ever found out what your noise was? Thank you.

I am having the same thing and have had in to the dealer twice and they keeping fixing something else but the noise is still there and I hear it from the passenger rear end. Was wondering if you ever found out what your noise was? Thank you.

Mine was from a loose bolt in the front suspension

After replacing all the wear items on the sway bar I found this TSB.

TSB 02-007/06 Noise from front or rear suspension when passing over a bump or driving on uneven road.

The rear coil springs may have shifted in the spring seat rubber and/or upper spring pocket in the rear crossmember, and causing the spring to rub against the cross member. This noise will most likely occur with the rear seat occupied and can sound like a squeak or knock when going over a bump or a rattle when driving at a steady speed over uneven road surface. The problem on early models is the arc-welding bead in the spring pocket on the crossmember where it makes contact with the spring seat rubber is protruding too much, causing the spring seat rubber to be pushed out of position. The arc-welding bead also prevents the rubber from going back to its initial position. On later models, the spring seat rubber is the problem.

Back