CX5 Navigation Option

blackfin1

:
Mazda CX5
I just picked up my new cx5 today and I noticed that there is a NAV button on the console. Can I purchase a navigation package from mazda? And would you happen to know how much they go for?

Thanks,
Sal

If you have a CX5 with a touch screen, yes you can buy the addon from Mazda, it's $450 or $550 I forgot. Takes minutes to install.

Blackfin1, You may want to lurk around, I have a touring with the nav and would not get the nav for that price.... The nav has been the biggest shortcoming for me in my CX-5, along with the voice recognition, do not get me wrong, I am more than happy with the rest of the vehicle and specs....but that nav unit is something else, see my poll thread below. I initially liked it as it was something I had never had, but now it is just another dead button to me.....Good luck.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...actory-installed-TomTom-Navigation-Unit/page2

Thanks for your replys. Does anyone else have anything both positive or negative about the mazda Nav system. I am not sure if it is worth paying 500.00 for something that is not that good.

Thanks,
Sal

Blackfin1,

As it is an electronic product from the dealer, generally they do not let you return it once it has been hooked up, I think if you go by the dealer and try to test drive the nav system on the lot, you will get a better feel (try the voice, find a POI if any are loaded, etc). I am fine with my nav system since it was part of the Tech package, but I would have been royally pissed if I had paid MSRP from the parts dept for it post sale. If you give it a look on the install instructions
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-24809172479195/cx5navigation.pdf
You can see if you have the antenna (more than likely) hookup and route that to where your handheld or other self installed unit would go.
As far as the nav, I only need reference once in a while anyway, and TomTomHome lets me load voices or other stuff, but for my needs, it is mostly a dead button anyway, my phone has nokia maps with voice direction if I need it....
I may be equally frustrated with the TomTomHome due to the lack of ability to find established addresses when I use it to plot a route, and the lack of a big multi point route feature (sometimes the trip is the vacation...), so that is as much of a turn off to me as anything else. Go to the TomTomHome site and download it to play around with the maps and route planning as well.

As this is a first year platform, the wait and see approach to aftermarket add ons is also advised...

Positives..... You can set up the exceed speed warnings if you have a lead foot, or just scan your instruments
some of the voices are funny (herbert from family guy, etc)
the map does display upcoming roads in 2D, and 3D pretty well, but set your zoom level, the automatic zoom will sometimes close in too much in urban areas.

Last edited:
I have a portable tom tom and now the unit that comes with the car. So far after a month of ownership, no problems to report. It's gotten me to all my destinations with no hiccups (so far).

i would never ever recommend any pay the 500 for that unit, mine came with the tech package and i'm fairly displeased with it (especially the shoddy voice recognition) my android phone and google maps does a much better job with usability and voice control...

someone above advised waiting to see if anyone else comes out with unit to plug in.

a top of the line free standing tomtom with lifetime updates and traffic, as well as more features is about half of what that junky plugin costs....

my advice is wait and see if garmin or another company comes up with a plugin

Unless you want to pay $200 for a decent portable unit I say go with the option to have it right on your 5.8" screen for a couple of hundred more. You're going to have the car for a while right? instead of wires trying to recharge the portable unit I would just hook it up. May not have good voice recognition, may lag when you press the buttons (not a major concern) once you put the address in it gets you there via the best possible route, has speed warning system, red light camera warning system live traffic updates to avoid traffic jams etc.. very good investment.

my android phone and google maps does a much better job with usability and voice control...

YES! I went from android to the iphone and MY GOD THE IPHONE SUCKS AT NAVIGATION (or complete lack of navigation). People say "oh yeah, you just have to refresh it [the iphone]." I say "are you f'ing kidding me?? I'm trying to drive. I'm not going to refresh my phone every 300 feet until I get to my destination." So, it's a new phone or a new nav :) .

There was someone on another thread that suggested for $500, you could upgrade your phone as well, then you have a better phone too.... but if you just have to have the integrated look, I would still wait and see if there may be another plug in unit for it, who knows if Garmin or some other manufacturer is trolling the forums looking for market niches.

As Huntsville, where I live is the second largest city in Alabama, the lack of updates in the area when I did my "free" update was what clued me in to the fact that the "update" may not have been. I cross referenced several areas here with the online TTH, did the update and saw no changes. Of course I have no idea what timeline the online to map refresh rate is.....

Last edited:
There was someone on another thread that suggested for $500, you could upgrade your phone as well, then you have a better phone too.... but if you just have to have the integrated look, I would still wait and see if there may be another plug in unit for it, who knows if Garmin or some other manufacturer is trolling the forums looking for market nniches

No one is going to make an add on. TomTom made a deal with Mazda, it's all integrated. Garmin ain't going to make an OEM plug in for the cx5.

No one is going to make an add on. TomTom made a deal with Mazda, it's all integrated. Garmin ain't going to make an OEM plug in for the cx5.

Yep, universal portables only.

Jeep Wrangler does have built-in Garmin as option.

i wouldn't say its impossible, mazda used to be partnered with garmin till this tomtom garbage in the cx5, and its 'integrated' but its easily replaceable, just pop out the module in dash to left of steering and pop in a new unit (assuming anyone makes one, say if garmin tries to get back in with mazda)

Failing Garmin doing it, there are a ton of hackers out there and there is not too much to hook up when installing the unit.

attachment.php

I know it is beyond me, but not others on working this out. Nothing is impossible, but I agree the probability is low for now....

Back