Factory Remote Start with Tech/Bose Package

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a '13 CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose and Tech Package. The guy at the dealership said they were having issues with the factory remote start and to not install it. He said it worked fine for a month on a few cars and then all of a sudden you couldn't start the cars. Did anyone else hear this. I am looking to get remote start for the car because it is for my wife.

Haven't heard of anyone having issues - Maybe the dealer didn't feel comfortable installing it, as they didn't have the parts or expertise?

My dealership didn't mention any problems when I inquired about having it installed in a few months.

On your Touring do you have both the Tech and Bose Package?? That's where he said the issue was...... It's bad because my wife had a remote start on her previous car and it's become 2nd nature just to start the car before leaving..... The install looks really simple from the instructions. I just don't want to do with the car not being able to turn on.

In the Accessories and Appearance Section I found a post that said that the remote start shuts off as soon as you open the door. It also says that it doesn't turn on the heat or defroster????? That is insane that it shuts off when you open the car door. That must be great for the engine to stop and then start up again...... If I didn't have a 100k warranty I would DEFINITELY go with an aftermarket remote start.

I wonder if this is something that Mazda will fix?

In the Accessories and Appearance Section I found a post that said that the remote start shuts off as soon as you open the door. It also says that it doesn't turn on the heat or defroster????? That is insane that it shuts off when you open the car door. That must be great for the engine to stop and then start up again...... If I didn't have a 100k warranty I would DEFINITELY go with an aftermarket remote start.

I wonder if this is something that Mazda will fix?

I think someone mentioned that if the engine didn't shut off, a thief could just break into your running car and drive off with it. It's a security feature, not a design flaw.

Do aftermarket starters actually manipulate the HVAC controls? As far as I know, the idea is to leave the heater (or A/C) on when you shut off the car so it turns on with the car when it's remotely started.

I think someone mentioned that if the engine didn't shut off, a thief could just break into your running car and drive off with it. It's a security feature, not a design flaw.

Do aftermarket starters actually manipulate the HVAC controls? As far as I know, the idea is to leave the heater (or A/C) on when you shut off the car so it turns on with the car when it's remotely started.

Every remote starter I have seen (assuming it was installed properly) will shut off the engine if the brake is pressed and the key is not turned to the "on" position. Not sure how a vehicle with a push button start responds in similar situations when remote started but in the 2013 altima I test drove you can start it with the push button, get out of the vehicle with the fob and someone can drive away and as long as they dont shut off the car it will continue to run...

And as for the starter being able to manipulate the HVAC controls you basically just leave it set on what you think you will want it on when you start the car, however with the fancy electronic ones i could see maybe programing one of the "acc" buttons to send a pulse to either the temp up or temp down circuits to adjust that depending how its wired, but dont expect your local best buy to know how to do that, I mean heck they couldnt even figure out how to wire a window up relay to mine so i could close my windows remotely if it started raining or something (which i figured out how to do and installed it myself)

Last edited:
I just ordered the remote start from the US for my Australian CX-5. Its not available here. I hope its worth it!!

Back