Winter Tire Sizes and TPMS issue

Happydaze48

:
2013 CX-5 White Pearl; 2007 MX-5 GX True Red; '03 Volusia Black;
My dealer advertised a winter tire special so I inquired about it yesterday. For my GS, they offer a set of 4 winter tires, mounted and balanced on steel rims complete with Mazda wheel covers for a total of $900.00 (there is also a $3.00 per tire environmental fee plus taxes). Seemed like a pretty reasonable deal to me, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about the tires (Kelly Snow Trakkers). Their price is based on 235/70/16 tires by the way (-1 sizing)

I also found out that there is an extra $200 charge (plus tax) to have the TPMS installed for the winter tires. Apparently, if you elect not to have the TPMS installed you will have flashing warning lights all winter long. I guess the easy cure for that would be a piece of duct tape over the warning light so you don't have to put up with the flashing light but maybe the light would fry itself and cost more to have it fixed that the cost of the TPMS.(uhm)

I'm going to go back and ask for a price with a higher quality tire, but what would you recommend as far as the TPMS is concerned?

I would not go for the TPMS on the winters. I have been swapping tires for years with my Nissan Quest. The TPMS is not on all the time. It only only comes on after I have been driving on the highway for a hr.

I have read that the TPMS is counting wheel speed with the antilock brake wheel speed counters and does not have anything in the wheel itself, as a low tire turns at a different rate than the other 3. If all tires are new and propery inflated my guess is you do not even have to reset it so you can send me the $200...

+1^^ on what he said. The TPMS system doesn't work with a sensor but like he said ^^ or something like that.

When you switch tire size or when you swap for winter tire you just push and hold the TPMS button to reset everything.

There are 2 types of tpms sensors. One mounted on thr rim of the tire and part of the valve stem and one mounted to the car itself not in the wheel. If you have the ones in the wheels obviously you need new tpms sensors for each rim set but luckly the cx5 has the external tmps sensors and you do not need to buy new ones for your new rims. If your dealer tells you otherwise tell them they are miss informed and to look it up.

My dealer advertised a winter tire special so I inquired about it yesterday. For my GS, they offer a set of 4 winter tires, mounted and balanced on steel rims complete with Mazda wheel covers for a total of $900.00 (there is also a $3.00 per tire environmental fee plus taxes). Seemed like a pretty reasonable deal to me, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about the tires (Kelly Snow Trakkers). Their price is based on 235/70/16 tires by the way (-1 sizing)

I also found out that there is an extra $200 charge (plus tax) to have the TPMS installed for the winter tires. Apparently, if you elect not to have the TPMS installed you will have flashing warning lights all winter long. I guess the easy cure for that would be a piece of duct tape over the warning light so you don't have to put up with the flashing light but maybe the light would fry itself and cost more to have it fixed that the cost of the TPMS.(uhm)

I'm going to go back and ask for a price with a higher quality tire, but what would you recommend as far as the TPMS is concerned?

Would this be Steele Mazda?

Well I continue to be a bit confused, the question re tire monitoring in the Lounge & Welcome area of this forum certainly seems to say nothing else is required on the wheel (rim) for the TPMS to function...if I am reading this correctly how can the dealer be so wrong?

Well I continue to be a bit confused, the question re tire monitoring in the Lounge & Welcome area of this forum certainly seems to say nothing else is required on the wheel (rim) for the TPMS to function...if I am reading this correctly how can the dealer be so wrong?

You need to get your dealer to read the following second bullet at this site:
http://www.royalpalmmazda.com/truly-revolutionary.aspx

Dont think the CX-5 has TPMS sensors. I had new rims put on yesterday.. No sensors in the OEM rims. Driven like over 100 miles since, no warning lights.. looks like TPMS.. Atleast not in the grand touring

Grand Touring in Canada does not have sensors mounted in the wheels. It's an indirect system that measures wheel speed.

Pretty nifty they incorporated TPMS from referencing wheel speed sensor input. But, seems obvious. Why wasn't this done a long time ago?
The ECU already factors in their input (in part) for various forms of traction control and ABS functions.

Skinnier and a bit lower to the ground, not a good combination for snow. No point with so little difference in size.

Any particular reason you want to go to a smaller tire size from 225/65r17 to 215's?

Tires 225/65R17 all-season tires (GX, GS)
225/55R19 all-season tires (GT)

The 215's are slightly cheaper and a narrower tire is better for cutting through snow. In regards to the difference in height, it's only 1/4" so no impact on ability to get through deep snow.

Back