When the CX-5 Diesel version coming to US market?

gotdi

:
Golf, TDI
All,

Would someone please let "us" Diesel lovers know when the CX-5 Diesel version is coming to the US market? When I search Google there is still not much out there on this subject..

Thank You!!!

What I'm reading says the first Mazda to get it will be the 6, next summer. Nothing about the cx-5 yet beyond "maybe."

Hope you get it soon. It really is the near perfect match. You'd love it. The diesel with manual transmission is expected to be the most popular model by far in the UK, despite diesel being more expensive.

US Guys - Are diesel cars not common in the US? Why? So much better, More Power, More Torque. I'm on my second diesel now, Only got into them 2.5 years ago. Always had Petrol up until then. I would never go back now.

US Guys - Are diesel cars not common in the US? Why? So much better, More Power, More Torque. I'm on my second diesel now, Only got into them 2.5 years ago. Always had Petrol up until then. I would never go back now.

Besides trucks, the only popular diesel has ever been the vw jetta tdi. Biggest reasons there haven't been more is strict emissions issues, public perception of them emitting soot and not being environmentally friendly, extra cost of the engine option, and high price of diesel fuel compared to regular gas (petrol). I think with these new lines of "clean diesels", fuel prices staying near regular gas prices now, and government regulations backing down, they have a real good chance of succeeding.

I forgot to mention, many fear them since not a lot of gas stations sell diesel as well...but that too is changing.

I've read that the diesel produced in North America is not of the same quality as in Europe as it is produced differently due to our refineries set up with a focus on gasoline. Mazda will have to tweak their engine designs to run optimally on our NA formulations. That is the gist of what I read FWIW. Truth or not, who knows?

Diesels are very popular in this part of Canada, but the overwhelming majority of them seem to be VW and big pickups. My Dad has a VW Golf diesel and its an awesome machine. I would gave strongly considered a CX5 diesel if it was offered here.

It sucks not having many choices for diesel cars in the US... especially when you have grown up in the UK, and know what engine options the same cars get throughout Europe. I really want a CX-5, but will currently only get one if a diesel comes to the US. The gas/petrol engine is a little weak, and currently you can only get the manual in the base model, which doesn't allow for many option choices. If I could get a manual gas CX-5 with some more options, I would be happy too. I just want to stay away from the gas/auto option. I didn't really like the auto box. I currently have a Mazdaspeed3 and an MX-5. The CX-5 will replace the Mazdaspeed3, so has to either be a little peppy, or at least be a manual!

Please allow myself to quote myself:

There are lots of reasons that people bring up. The answer varies from person to person and usually includes one or more of the following:

Diesel engines are perceived to be noisy and stinky in the US.
Diesel engines are perceived to be bad for the environment, so a lot of people who are willing to pay more for a car that uses less fuel seem to prefer hybrids.
Diesel is up to 15% more expensive than 87 octane gas (which most cars use), so the payback is very long since most diesels cost more at initial purchase.
Due to some bad engineering during the late 70s and early 80s, a lot of older people think diesel engines are unreliable.
Diesel car emissions have to be as clean as gasoline, which killed the plans of some car companies, like Honda and Subaru to bring diesels here.
The emissions requirements have lowered the mileage advantage that diesels used to have over gasoline.

Another reason is that they aren't offered in many cars that are affordable. The TDi cars from VW are the only affordable diesel cars that I can think of and VW doesn't have a reputation for reliability here either. Other than that, BMW, Mercedes and Audi seem to be the majority of passenger vehicles (besides pickups) that you can get a diesel in.

So, in my opinion, consumer ignorance is the main reason.

Edit: According to some people, we also don't like wagons!

if i could get a cx5 in diesel option, i would gladly trade in the mazdaspeed3.

i love my new ram 3500 with the cummins, especially having come from a 2010 ram1500 with the hemi.

my thoughts on diesel not being popular in the US is no different than the others already posted, but i also believe the government has something to do with the prevention of more diesel cars from coming over this side of the pond. for whatever reason our government has actually put money into battery operated or largely battery based (hybrid) vehicles. so basically the entire nation has been brainwashed into thinking hybrids are not only best on mileage, but ultimately safest for the environment. lets forget about what happens to rechargeable batteries after they are done holding their charge

what kills me is how stringent they have become on all diesels, and theyve started to trickle down into the heavy duty trucks like mine. someone tell me why, in order to "save the environment" the idea was to throw a bunch of emmission devices on a diesel that not only creates more maintenance costs, but reduces mileage by a huge margin.

im a part of the cummins forums and guys there do "deletes" to their diesel particulate filters and instantly go from 15mpg highway to over 20mpg. that is a 7,500lb truck getting over 20 mpg on the highway!

not only is this bad for the consumer, it is bad for the entire US economy. essentially the US still relies on big rigs to move goods from place to place. these guys are spending more time and money with their trucks in repair bays as a result of the emmision control devices thrown on diesels as bandaids because the government said they had to do it

it's rediculus. i want a car with a diesel, but i don't want a VW. and guys in australia are getting over 40mpg in them or some s***

i want a car with a diesel, but i don't want a VW.

You and me both man! I would buy a VW TDi if there wasn't that 1-2% chance the fuel pump was going to crap the bed to the tune of $9000. BTW, that's the cost of fixing the damage and contamination that occurs, not the cost for the fuel pump alone.

Im still just utterly terrified of vw electrical systems. if i see brand new cars with tail lights out, wtf else is going on?

this also keeps me wary of audis, which is a shame because i really like the a3

Back