Fog light installation

plum

:
Mazda CX5
I have just installed the OEM fog lights and here is a little review on how I dit it for others who would love to do it.
First of all, I deceided to install them by myself because my dealer was charging me 600$ plus tax to do it. I got the fog wih the light lever at 310$ shipped in Canada from http://mazdagear.com/

To install them you can follow the manual that is very easy to understand even if you are not used to that kind of work. Here it is : http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-24809172479195/cx5foglamps.pdf

Just to remind you, this is just my way to install it and i'm not responsable on how you will do it!

At beginning, i did not remove the battery cable. For me, it was not necessary. Also, I did'nt use any masking tape or any protective cloth. If you take care and you are carefull, you will not break or scratch anything. Just take your time.

After, I did'nt remove the bumper. I have started with the left side first (driver side). I have only removed the plastic at the bottom of the bumper and manage to pass my arm between the plastics to get acces at the fog light area. I was able to remove the lamp cover by that way. Then I have installed the fog lamp in the bracket just as mentionned in the manual. I have put the bracket by the inside of the bumper to screw it. To do so, I had to make more space to work. So, I had to remove the fastener on the fender that give me a better acces to the screws. I manage to secure the bracket to the bumper that way. Then, connect the bulb and the harness clip like illustrated. Finally, I have put the lamp hole cover and restore all the fasteners and screws on the bumper.

For the right side (passenger side), I tried to do the same. It went well until I wanted to secure the bracket to the bumper. The windshield washer compartment is there and you have pratically no space to screw the bracket. I finally achieve it by hand with a wrench bit. Also, there is no harness clip to install on this side because it is already installed on the windshield washer box.

To install the light lever, just follow the manual, it is very easy. Then you check if everything works well and you have finished. The only thing is the number 6 in the operation check procedures : Turn the fog light switch to position, and check if the fog light indicator light in the instrument
cluster illuminates. Turn the fog light switch to OFF position, and check if the fog light indicator light is off.
There is no specific fog light indicator in the cluster panel. There is just the normal light on/off.

To conclude, it would have been probably easier to put the brackets with the bumber removed but if you don't want to remove it, you can install your fog lights by yourself without the help of anybody.

I thought about doing this but on my mazda3 they were totally worthless. You could not see a difference turning them on or off while driving. Is the cx5 any better?

Well, you can see a difference right in front of you on the road. Is it really worth it, I think its a personal choice. I always drove cars with fogs, so I'm used to have them. Also, I will put HID on the fogs and low beams, so it will make a big difference.

Yeah I did this on my 2004 Mazda 3i also. Love how all the wiring are already there, pretty much plug and play.
True with regular bulbs on the 3, makes no difference. I Just like the look. I modded my 3 so the fog light switch is independent of the other lights too, so drive around with just the fogs on.

Also I end up getting eBay fogs where the glass is tinted yellow, and using stock bulbs, HOLY SMOKES, that made a huge difference. I could drive at night with just the fogs and it lit up the entire street and all the houses on the side of the car!

That was however, too rice for me, so I went back to clear stock glass and put HID there, and its a bit better than stock fogs.

Back