Opinion Needed: Mazda CX-5 Seats

Hi all,

I am hoping to tap into your expertise! Thank you in advance for any help!

In a few weeks, my wife and I are going to buy a CX-5.

We really like the Touring with Bose/Moonroof --- but my wife (who'll be using the car to haul around the kids) is worried that the cloth seats won't hold up well with active kids. (Tears, stains, etc...)

We're hesitant to go with the GT trim just for the leather seats.

So I guess my question is -- if you were in my situation, which would you go with:

1) Get the Touring and stick with the cloth seats because they will hold up reasonably well

2) Get the Touring and see if Mazda will upgrade it with the leather seats in the GT

3) Get the Touring and get seat covers from a third party

4) Bite the bullet and get the GT, even though you aren't all that interested in the other GT upgrades because the price difference will be insignificant compared to buying a Touring and upgrading the seats

5) Something else...

Im not sure where you are located, but I know that in Canada all dealerships can add leather seats to any model.

Its usually cheaper then getting it done with a third party, and this will be added to your car loan.

Hope this helps

My choice is number 5, bite the bullet and get the GT, it's very nice. Also the top of the line GT should be good at resale.

GT adds other worthwhile features, so I also agree it is worth the added expense in other ways.

However, if you're trying to pench pennies, I don't think it is worth it just to have leather. It has been my personal experience that leather upholstery does not hold up any better than cloth.
It does clean a little easier. But, if you really want it to last, it needs proper periodic conditioning. If you are buying for longevity, I don't see it.
But it smells and looks nice. :D

it seems that since you're not into all the extra upgrades in the gt, then it's less incentive to get it. less money potentially expensed on the cx-5 that can be applied to seat covers?

awmenard: that's interesting about leather as an option to any car. does the same hold true the other way around -ie. choice for fabric seats with upgrade options?

my choice would be #3.

i would think it would be easier to clean/wash or replace aftermarket custom seat covers if they broke down or were stained, versus depending on no covers in general & in light of active kids.

i got the touring for completely different reasons. while i love the extra exclusive amenities of the gt, i sacrificed that choice upon purchase because i was not willing to live with leather seats.

my personal choice were mostly due to:

1. i don't like the smell & texture of leather especially in a hot day. it's less breathable despite the holes they put in the design. i used to associate leather smell in a hot car with getting car sick.

2. i love a black interior, but leather gets hot in hot climates versus fabric.

3. bundled options: i disagree with how leather is marketted as 'luxury' as a forced bundled option. it's the primary reason i ended up not getting a rav4 or a vw tiguan at the time(such as moonroof only with leather seats, wth); and why i eventually got a cx-5 instead -> comparatively better options with fabric. (side note: regardless of personal preferences to fabric or leather, owners should have a choice on what features would suit them. right now, it's like buying a tv cable package -all or none.)

4. scotchguard

5. i can get covers for them with utility features like pockets and overall protection and various fabric options to offset some potential reasons of why to get leather in terms of durability. in your case, do they even make custom leather seat covers?

Getting fitted leather covers are way cheaper than the price jump from Touring to GT, and look just as nice. If my significant other wasn't so insisting on getting everything, that's the route I would have taken. Plus if the covers wear out, you can just get new ones.

I would go for the GT but i think the cheaper alternative is to scothchgaurd the seats as puddle.jumper suggested if you're sticking with the cloth seats.

Awmenard, I might be misinterpreting your comment but Mazda doesn't give you the option to upgrade your cloth seats to leather. If the dealership is offering an upgrade to leather seats then it will be some deal that they have with a third party upholsterer.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Really helpful stuff!

In case anyone is interested, I got a quote from a Mazda dealer for a leather seat installation for a Touring: $1,395. (As rmac noted, it is a third party).

After the Bose/Moonroof addition, depending on the final quotes that we get for a GT, the price difference between the Touring with leather seats and the GT might be negligible....

Update: Wife and I went with the Touring and had the dealer, through a third party, install leather seats.

This ran us $1,100 (sadly, I'm not sure if this was a good price), but still about $1,000 cheaper than going with the GT.

Sounds like you did what is a very good compromise. I think oping for a GT just to get the seats would have been a mistake. Enjoy your great vehicle

Congrats on new CX. It's important to get exactly the vehicle you want.

I am also looking into this. I want to buy my fiancee a 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD but would like to get leather but I want to save by not getting all the other GT add-ons. Did the OP find this worthwhile and what are others' thoughts? I am also a little worried about the longevity of the leather in the Florida sun but we plan to have kids soon and worry about destruction/staining of cloth seats. Thanks everyone.

Update: I just spoke with the dealer regarding adding leather to the Touring and got this reply:

"it is done by a third party and it is a lifetime guarantee on the leather. Also the leather does not have to be exactly like the Grand Touring, it is your choice on how you want them. You can get them perforated or non. It is totally up to you."

I am not a leather expert but I am guessing perforated catches dirt more easily but breathes better.

Update: I just spoke with the dealer regarding adding leather to the Touring and got this reply:

"it is done by a third party and it is a lifetime guarantee on the leather. Also the leather does not have to be exactly like the Grand Touring, it is your choice on how you want them. You can get them perforated or non. It is totally up to you."

I am not a leather expert but I am guessing perforated catches dirt more easily but breathes better.

Looks like a response from a auto salesperson, don't give it much weight.

I've had both.

There's little between them, but I prefer perforated, but my experience is with the UK weather.

Back