Map can't be used with this device error

rlp2955

Hi all. I just downloaded the latest map update on the SD card from tomtom home using Latest Map Guarantee menu. Downloaded fine with no errors. I also had a couple of other updates like gpsfix, etc. When I inserted back in sd slot and started up, I am getting a "can't use this map with this device error'. Anyone seen this before and know how to fix? The map update was definitely the right one.

have you tried these instructions in the tomtom forums?
http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Built-in-car-navigation/Tips-Updating-Mazda-CX-5-Nav/td-p/278423

i ended up downloading maps then putting it in the sd card a few times because the first few times the software on the computer needed to be updated to the latest version of tomtom home. i think i ended up doing incremental updates in version numbers(annoying), that i had to make sure that was the latest, first. finally, i had it push the content to the card.

have you tried these instructions in the tomtom forums?
http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Built-in-car-navigation/Tips-Updating-Mazda-CX-5-Nav/td-p/278423

i ended up downloading maps then putting it in the sd card a few times because the first few times the software on the computer needed to be updated to the latest version of tomtom home. i think i ended up doing incremental updates in version numbers(annoying), that i had to make sure that was the latest, first. finally, i had it push the content to the card.

I ended up deleting the map from inside TomTom Home and reinstalling. I had read on another forum that if you download the new maps first and then run other updates second that it causes issues. That must have been what happened to me. All set now.

I ended up deleting the map from inside TomTom Home and reinstalling. I had read on another forum that if you download the new maps first and then run other updates second that it causes issues. That must have been what happened to me. All set now.

So, what's the proper sequence? And was the update done from the car or from your home computer?

So, what's the proper sequence?

it appears that you have to make sure to have the latest software version of tomtom home for your computer; then via the software, download the map updates & transfer it to your sd card.

And was the update done from the car or from your home computer?

the update requires you to take the sd card from the car and use your own computer to do it, because there is no way it can update without some way of retrieving the data. there's no network connection readily for that.

so, after the updates are finally in the sd card via the computer and the car is off, plug the sd card back in & start it up. follow the prompts on the touchscreen and after a few minutes it should have the latest updates applied.

for more specific details on this you can refer to the link earlier in this thread, the navigation manual and/or the tomtom or mazda forums regarding cx-5 or nb-1 (the oem navigation name). but basically that's the overview of how it goes.

Last edited:
Back