How to clean black plastic trim?

Dan PA

:
2013 CX-5
I'm having trouble cleaning the black plastic trim that goes around the wheel wells and bottom of the car/bumper, recommended products or techniques?

What exactly is it that you are trying to clean e.g. mud, tar etc ? If it's just that the trim has lost it's shine, try Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel.

Turtle wax ICE detailer's spray. Can use it on the entire outside of the vehicle, paint and black plastic trim.

Go to a site like auto geek.net and look at some of their exterior cleaners and protectants. As soon as I got my CX-5 home I put a paint sealant on the paint and a sealant specifically made for the black trim. This will protect it from UVA/UVB rays and fading/cracking over time and will keep the paint in great shape longer than a typical wax will.

Aerospace 303 or Black Wow has always worked well for me. Aerospace 303 has great UVA/UVB protection.

Turtle Wax Black Spray Detailer, this is what I use both in between waxings on the vehicle and the trim. For people who don't have a black CX-5 of course you would only use this on the trim.

u might think crazy ......try creamy peanut butter with microfiber cloth .....rub it all around then after 10mins use clean microfiber cloth rub and u'll see the shine...no need to buy chemicals stuff which may harm the paint .....oil from the peanut butter does the job....i did it and it really came out nice..

Last edited:
arm and hammer magic eraser is the best. I had built up wax on my plastic and tried acetone, goo gone, you name it and the only thing that worked was the magic eraser.

Sal

u might think crazy ......try creamy peanut butter with microfiber cloth .....rub it all around then after 10mins use clean microfiber cloth rub and u'll see the shine...no need to buy chemicals stuff which may harm the paint .....oil from the peanut butter does the job....i did it and it really came out nice..
Just tried it. Left it for 10 minutes, went outside and the kids had eaten the car!

I'm having trouble cleaning the black plastic trim that goes around the wheel wells and bottom of the car/bumper, recommended products or techniques?

I use my motorcycle cleaner/polish called Orignal. It comes in a Black and Pink spray can. Works great on paint and plastic, also removes bug splatter off of the shiney front plastic.

Just tried it. Left it for 10 minutes, went outside and the kids had eaten the car!

hahaha!!! That's great!

I have been using Mother's Back to Black on exterior plastics for over 10 years now. A kid who detailed motorcycles back in high school recommended it to me. Been using it ever since.

Back