CX5 mpg update and rented an Escape!

thegrapeguy

:
2013 Mazda CX5 GT
I've got 6500 miles on my CX-5 AWD (Automatic transmission w/ Tech) and my gas mileage has settled in at around 29 mpg. Gauge says 29.5 but by my way of calculating (Miles driven divided by gallons needed to fill up) it's always a little less... That's with an average speed of 37 mph and mostly suburban driving. I find that highway driving does not get me the highest gas mileage since I drive 75 mph and usually have my family with me (weight). Maybe about 28 mpg.

So I go on this trip to Colorado and my rented Chevy Impala breaks down and they trade it for a new White Ford Escape. I'm not sure if it was the lower power one or the higher power but my guess is the higher power one because it had a lot of power. Felt like a V6 going up those mountain roads. OK so the body style and interior don't give me the same thrill as the CX-5. Kind of too "fake futuristic" on the dash and "clunky" on the outer styling. Sound system was crap compared to the Bose. The seats are squishier than the CX-5. When I got home I felt so much better in the firm well supported CX-5 seats. I don't know the mpg I was getting but it had to be less. I blew through the tank very quickly. So let's just say the styling isn't the CX-5, the mpg isn't the CX-5 but here's where the Escape wins...

The Escape has a more commanding view out of a bigger front window and I like that. The seats though squishy were still comfortable and "cockpit-like". Aside from gas mileage the car's comfort and visibility weigh in as the 2 most important factors for me in choosing a vehicle. The power was nice but I paid at the pump for that power so I can live with less power to save money. The Escape's engine was quieter as well. The CX-5 has a "buzzy" engine and I've gotten used to it. Plus I use the manual shifting a lot. The Escape's auto transmission is the more plain DRIVE, LOW choices. The CX-5's is quite handy when you need some extra power to pass or go up a steep hill.

I went on a trip to Stowe, Vt with the CX-5 and went up the steep, dirt, mountain toll road. It was rough with many turns and lots of steeps. The CX-5 did great in Manual mode.

So all in all I'd still choose the CX-5 but the Escape has a good feel and the futuristic dash and clunky styling would not be a deal breaker for me.

Nice comparison. I am with you on the fuel savings over power. The power curve of the cx5 reminds me a lot of a modern inline 4 cylinder motorcycle engine. Loves to be revved and has a burst of power up top.

Back