New Ford Escape better MPG than CX-5?

Sinnister

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GS
So my CX-5 GS non AWD (sport AT in the US I guess) is 3 weeks old and I'm loving the fact my L/100KM / MPG is killing my old Nissan Altima's, but I just saw the Escape commercial claiming best in class highway MPG with ecoboost. Is this creative advertising or could it be true? No mention of trim level or what the rated vs actual tested MPG numbers were. But it got me curious.

Also I can see a fatal flaw in their foot proximity technology. Most people by nature are uncoordinated and don't pay attention. A open foot due to flip flops or sandals can really get cooked on a hot tail pipe while trying to open that hatch.

When we first saw the car at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show, we were intriguedthis was a thoroughly modern-looking crossover that has a whole host of bells-and whistles, from a trick Curve Control system to a rear-hatch that opens with a swipe of your foot below the rear bumper. Thats all surface and PR speak, though. We wanted to drive it for ourselves.

http://www.carpages.ca/blog/2012/04/24/ignition-2013-ford-escape/

A quote per driving.ca in regards to the CX-5 "As rated by Transport Canada, front-wheel-drive models equipped with the standard six-speed manual transmission get 7.8 litres per 100 km in the city and 5.7 L/100 km on the highway. All-wheel-drive models with the six-speed auto have a fuel economy rating of 8.0 L/100 km in the city and 6.4 L/100 km on the highway."

Same site, about the Ford Escape "Fuel economy for the 4WD model is rated at 9.8 litres per 100 kilometres in the city and 6.9L/100km on the highway"

HWY --> Mazda AWD = 6.4, Escape AWD = 6.9
City ---> Mazda AWD = 8.0, Escape AWD = 9.8

As I plan on mostly city driving, I'd rather have the Mazda.

Plus I can do without these kinds of issues:
http://www.driving.ca/Ford+recalls+2013+Escapes+over+risk+engine+fire/6964256/story.html
http://www.driving.ca/Ford+recalling+more+than+Escape+crossovers/6940285/story.html

The thing about the new Escape is that it has several different engines. The smallest one is a turbocharged 1.6L engine which is paired with an automatic transmission and can get 33 MPG highway (only 23 mpg city) per the US EPA numbers. So when Ford says best highway mpg in "it's class", they are talking about the 1.6L auto which has the best highway mpg in the US for an automatic SUV (the auto CX-5 got 32mpg highway)

When Mazda talks about the best highway mpg in it's class (including hybrids), they are talking about the 26 city/35 highway 6MT which has the best highway mpg in the US for ANY SUV (automatic or manual, hybrid or not).

Last edited:
CX-5 has best overall / "combined" gas mileage rating. CX-5 is most fuel-efficient vehicle in its class.

Gas mileage actual data reported by major publications including CR, C&D confirms above.

I don't see the exhaust tips as a safety issue, they are double-walled (not nearly as hot as single-walled) and inset, probably for good reason.

^^Thats actually good to know they thought of that because they dont need anymore recalls so early into their roll out.

Escape (2013) sales are very strong even with the recalls, over 20K units a month in US.

I don't see any new Escapes around the NJ Turnpike/Garden State Parkway that I take everyday nor have I seen another CX-5 to be honest. With all those sales you would think that the Escapes would be everywhere. I do see many many CR-V's and Nissan Rogue's though.

How many of those 20k units are purchased for fleets ?

As much as the big 3 talk about lowering dependence on low margin fleet sales, it's still probably 20%+.

Escape is doing well from a retail sales standpoint.

How many of those 20k units are purchased for fleets ?

I would think that most of those sales are old Escapes being sold at a discount. I could be wrong though since I've seen a fair amount of new Escapes.

A question that's a little off topic; is Mazda still having trouble producing enough CX-5s for the demand?

Still see a lot of previous generation escapes running around.
I've seen 20 or so new models.
As for the cx5... I'm up to 3 sighted.

Rogues and crvs still are sporting the previous gens.... So there are a lot more sightings

I have a friend that LOVES the new escape. I don't see why the escape 1.6 ecoboost engine is a much better choice than our skyactiv-g. It needs premium gas to achieve a hp/torque performance that is similar to our skyactiv-g. Also from what the numbers say, it also consumes more gas then the skyactiv-g. The car is also approximately 300 pounds heavier too, unless I am mistaken.

The 1.6L turbo is slightly quicker and that Escape just over 200 pounds heavier (i've driven it). It's a nice fairly smooth engine. Gas mileage is significantly lower as reported in all road tests.

Last edited:
Back