Anyone know how to adjust headlights?

BranCKY3

My headlights are extremely low for some reason, they point at the ground about two carlengths in front of my car. Are they adjusted with the silver bolt on the back of the housing?

if they're off take them back to the dealer and have them check it to make sure

have you used projection headlights before?

.... Yes I've used projection headlights before, what does that have to do with anything? I haven't used the CX-5 headlights before. My last three cars had projectors - two of which were completely adjustable and one of which had an auto-leveling system, which the CX-5 doesn't seem to have (without tech package at least)

I'm looking for the way to adjust these myself, as I don't have time during the week to go out of my way to the dealership and wait.

.... Yes I've used projection headlights before, what does that have to do with anything? I haven't used the CX-5 headlights before. My last three cars had projectors - two of which were completely adjustable and one of which had an auto-leveling system, which the CX-5 doesn't seem to have (without tech package at least)

I'm looking for the way to adjust these myself, as I don't have time during the week to go out of my way to the dealership and wait.

i asked because there have been other similar posts from people that just weren't used to projector headlight systems, i was attempting to clarify, sorry for disturbing you (rolleyes)

Not sure that the owners manual would tell you though as I don't think they would recommend anyone adjusting the headlights themselves. For safety sake, I'd rather have the dealer adjust the headlights and have it properly aimed.

i asked because there have been other similar posts from people that just weren't used to projector headlight systems, i was attempting to clarify, sorry for disturbing you (rolleyes)

No worries, sorry if I came off as being annoying. I'm coming from the Volkswagen enthusiast community, where EVERYTHING is done yourself instead of the dealer because chance are you've reflashed your ECU and don't want the dealer to know (sssh)

For anyone wondering the same thing I was, the silver bolt / nut (10mm) is used to adjust the height of the headlights.
I believe the proper way to adjust is to drive as close to a wall as possible and mark your cutoff point. Then, assuming you're on a flat surface, back up ~25 feet and adjust so the cutoff point is level with your original marks. This is what I did and I have not gotten a high-beam flash from oncoming traffic yet.

s'ok, i came from that same community, i had an 03 passat, and first thing i did was to pull relay 17

You can re-aim them. Though, if you don't know what you're doing, I would advise you to allow somebody who does to do the job. You won't find instructions to do it in the owners manual. Perhaps, a WSM would have instructions, however.
Our CX-5 was involved in a collision only a couple months after we bought it. Needless to say, it need an entirely new headlamp assembly. Re-aiming the projectors was on the bill, but they didn't do a very good job.
Ideally, the driver side is aimed low, so as to avoid blinding oncoming drivers, while the passenger side is aimed a good deal higher.

...For anyone wondering the same thing I was, the silver bolt / nut (10mm) is used to adjust the height of the headlights.

Thanks for your followup comment. It was very helpful and easy to adjust. I just lowered mine a little bit.
On rainy days, the light seemed too dark so I first replaced the bulb tonight with a 4000K color and brighter burning bulb. It was still not as bright as I wanted, so I lowered the throw a little bit.

Bulbs were only https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned), and I didn't want to go HID or LED.
4000K, lifetime rated 310 hours which is pretty short. If it lasts me 2 years, I'll be happy. The colors are slightly whiter than the stock which is a nice touch too.

Back