Rear spoiler

meeshow

:
'13 Black Mica CX5 6MT
Anyone else bothered by the plastic inserts that connect the spoiler to the rear glass? i removed one and the glass is cut leaving a gapping hole underneath. Any ideas on how to remove and possibly install flat insert or have the plastic match the appearance of the spoiler, not just rough plastic like it is. Thanks.

How did you remove it? was it screwed on or taped down?

If you can post a picture of the gap so we can take a look

I'll post the photos later tonight. Aerodynamics? Really does it make that much difference? Look at the Ford Edge, the Nissan Rogue and such. same tapered rear end, but just a spoiler over the glass. there is no 2 sided tape, to completely remove the insert, you need to remove the spoiler. I was just unclipping it at the bottom never took the panel completely off. will do tonight and post.

Rogue and CX-5.JPG I'm not touching it, it's there for aero purposes (yes every little bit makes a difference as it's carefully done in the wind tunnel, especially the rear area of a hatchback configuration that can have a lot of unfavorable turbulance) and it doesn't bother me. I don't want to remove and leave gaping hole or have a warranty-voiding experience. It's hardly noticeable against the tinted glass, well-integrated, see attached pic, white Rogue and white CX-5 side by side, of which IMO CX-5 is better looking from this angle.

Last edited:
lr iphone pic 041712.JPGIMO, Mazda made the right choice in paint treatment (blacking out the piece), see attached.

As a result of the treatment the upswept small rear window seems to flow into the roof spoiler.

I'll post the photos later tonight. Aerodynamics? Really does it make that much difference? Look at the Ford Edge, the Nissan Rogue and such. same tapered rear end, but just a spoiler over the glass. there is no 2 sided tape, to completely remove the insert, you need to remove the spoiler. I was just unclipping it at the bottom never took the panel completely off. will do tonight and post.

I've read an article somewhere where they talk about the rear spoiler design. It is aerodynamics and contributes to the fuel economy of the car.

I clearly understand that it has aerodynamic attributes. I wasn't saying it didn't. Mazda thought long and hard on how to squeeze every mile out of this vehicle. I wasn't saying remove them and have gapping holes either, I'd rather not. It's more noticeable on a black vehicle where the blacks are off a few shades. On the white, (when it's clean and shiny - I agree it doesn't look so bad). None the less this post wasn't about aerodynamics, it was about treatments or options to address the different color or removing them.

Yes, removing them creates issues with aerodynamics, gaps/holes and style.

The black treatment is well integrated and matches black finish of side window pillars/trim, no accident.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere. maybe ebay, chrome covers for these possibly Carbon fiber look covers as well, I don't remember, they don't bother me so I didn't look too hard

Back