Help! Paint Quality Question

luvmycx5

:
2013 CX5
Hi all CX5 owners...weird question to post/ask here. As I always do with all my cars, I washed it this past weekend with my Griots Garage products and when I rinsed off the soap/water to my shock and surprise I had FOUR spots in the shape/size of a US dime that were completely bare! The paint actually popped off! What are your thoughts? Paint defect from Mazda? I will wait to get some response here within a day or so prior to visiting my dealer where I purchased the car about 3 months ago.

Help! (eek)

That's not good! I haven't done a full detail on mine yet, but now I'm scared because the paint does look fragile.

Never heard of that. Please report back with what service department at dealer thinks...

Mazda paint is notoriously thin.

However, it seems as though my CX-5 is especially thin, even compared to my 6.

6,500 miles on the odo. and the hood paint has already been decimated by stones.

Wow...makes me nervous...Mine is only 3 weeks old now but we have some rough winters with salt, sand and stone trucks that are all over the roads all winter. Ill be sure to stay clear if one is in front of me.

Wow I would be heading to the deal asap. There is no reason you should lose paint just from washing your car, that is ridiculous.

Does anybody have any experience with clear shield? I've never really known anybody to get it so I'm not sure how it looks feels etc. and if it actually protects your bumper, hood and mirrors. They claim to but you know....

Chime in if anybody knows. I'm due for my first wash and not willing to tear off pieces of paint trying to get bugs off my hood.

http://solargard.com/us/Auto/Clearshield

Does anybody have any experience with clear shield? I've never really known anybody to get it so I'm not sure how it looks feels etc. and if it actually protects your bumper, hood and mirrors. They claim to but you know....

Chime in if anybody knows. I'm due for my first wash and not willing to tear off pieces of paint trying to get bugs off my hood.

http://solargard.com/us/Auto/Clearshield

Yes, I installed the 3M VentureShield on my car a short while ago. It's basically this stretchy material that has an adhesive side to it. Many videos of how to apply out there.

Here's how mine came out http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816886-CX-5-Clear-Bra-anyone/page4

I did this outside in the sun since I don't have a garage. Results would of probably been better in a garage. I've had no problems so far, it looks great, can't notice until you get close and already has saved from a little rock chip that I waxed right off the film the other day.

To update you guys here...my local Mazda dealer forwarded the pictures they took to their regional manager/quality person whoever they say it is and waiting to hear from him/her. They outright said it is a dealer issue and not to worry they will absorb the expense (s*** of course they better have!). My concern is that it isnt "new" --after only 4 months it will need a hood and roof panel paint job! (wow) ...cant say I am totally happy. I would in my fantasy world would love to hear them say "no problem...pick out any other CX5 from our inventory to get that new experience again"... crossing my fingers. Here are the pictures, hopefully they are easy to view, I labeled the three pictures for the three different paint issues.

Attachments

• Mazda Hood.jpg
    Mazda Hood.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 475
  • Mazda Hood_2.jpg
    Mazda Hood_2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Mazda Roof (front of sunroof).jpg
    Mazda Roof (front of sunroof).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 434
Thanks for the update. That's crazy that it happened from a car wash. I hope it gets worked out for you and I hope the rest of us have better luck.

Yes, I installed the 3M VentureShield on my car a short while ago. It's basically this stretchy material that has an adhesive side to it. Many videos of how to apply out there.

Here's how mine came out http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...a-anyone/page4

I did this outside in the sun since I don't have a garage. Results would of probably been better in a garage. I've had no problems so far, it looks great, can't notice until you get close and already has saved from a little rock chip that I waxed right off the film the other day.

Very nice job. I'm thinking of getting it done at an auto shop where their tinting my wifes Jetta (might do the cx-5 later).

How much does it run you to buy? Just want to have an idea of how much extra the auto place is going to try and charge me.

Wow, from that pic I do not think it is thin paint but rather a cleaning problem at the bare metal stage when they painted that did not let it bond to the metal. Paint may be thin, no doubt but it would have the problem all over the car if it was just short changed on paint. Could have been a bad batch of paint too that was not mixed right, not primed correctly or a problem with the electro charge during painting. What ever the case it is good to hear that they are taking care of it.

I had mine completely covered in 3M Ventureshield when brand new:
Complete Surface Systems - CX-5

I am VERY happy with the results. I've since washed and waxed my car on numerous occasions. I've done nearly 10,000km of driving (including highway with stones).
Absolutely no paint damage.

The coating feels exactly like paint to touch (not an orange peel finish like 3M's original product and the reason they purchased the Ventureshield product as their own).
Furthermore, it works with wax in a similar way.

Mazda paint is notoriously thin.

However, it seems as though my CX-5 is especially thin, even compared to my 6.

6,500 miles on the odo. and the hood paint has already been decimated by stones.
Totally agree. Does not inspire confidence! I don't know thickness (or thinness) of paint comparing to competition (Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai..), but it does chip off easily. I thought Mazda would come with something like Nissan did (scratch shield paint on new Murano)

Cheers,
Miki

Back