Wheel Machining Advice Sought

Lando

:
Save the manual transmission
I'm pretty happy with the ride on my 5 with the 17" base rims so I probably will not be going with bigger wheels. My question pertains to a set of Acura TSX wheels that I want to use for winter tires. The lug spacing is good, but the offset is 45 mm, and the centerbore is 64.1 mm. Since the offset on the 5 is 50 mm, will that be ok?

The centerbore on the 5 is 67.1mm, so I will have remove 3mm in diameter or about 1.5 mm radius. this seems like a very small amount, and the metal thickness of the Acura wheel in the area that needs to be machined is only about 3mm, so I don't think the wheel will be affected structurally. I have found a machinist to do the job and have been told this is a fairly common thing. What I am looking for are expert opinions about the offset and the bore increase.

I mounted one of the Acura wheels with its current 45 series tire and snugged up the lugnuts just to see what it would look like. Talk about wheel gap, it was hilarious. It looked like a cartoon. At least it would be easy to put on tire chains.

I assume the machinest is experienced and working for a good custom wheel shop, should be okay. The better shops do this kind of machine work in house.

Tires are completely wrong (size, load rating, speedo accuracy, gearing, etc.)

That's right. I would save the tires for my wife's Acura when her tires are ready for replacement.

The machinist would put the wheels on a lathe and remove about 1.5 mm from the inside radius. I would be there and test fit each wheel. I will need to buy 20 Honda/Acura lug nuts with the round base instead of the cone shaped Mazda nuts.

Lando - did you do the wheel modification?

Back