Starting cx5 with electrical issues

brunetmj

:
2013 CX 5 AWD Touring AT
Yesterday I went to start the car but got no response from the button starter. I waited a few minutes and fortunately it worked. This however worried me. What if the button starter doesn't work?
The manual says there is a forced start. Push and hold the start button to force start.
If the issue is the car brain , not the battery, is there anything else that could be tried?
I was thinking of disconnecting the car battery to reset the car brain? Any other ideas?
Sorry I just got the car and don't know the official name for the car brain.

If the car battery is dead, the car cant start. There is a NFC chip in the remote that does not need power and can be touched to the push button start to authorize the start - but this is only if your key fob battery is dead. If the car isnt going to start with this, it isnt with a physical key either.

Sorry I should have made myself more clear . You are in the middle of no where . You test the battery with your handy volt meter and it is fine . Yet the car start button doesnt respond. What now?

I am interested as well. There is an auxiliary key in the fob.

Surely it is for more than just locking/unlocking the door lock cylinders. Getting stranded because the transmitter has malfunctioned is ridiculous...

I looked briefly the other day for a hidden ignition for use with an auxiliary key, but didn't see one...

I don't believe there is an auxiliary ignition on the cx5.
There is a procedure for a dead fob battery. I think u hold the fob against the button and press.
What I am concerned with is an electrical ignition that simply goes dead. I saw on another forum that it has happened - they had to call Mazda for a tow and was told the brain had to be reset .
I guess I will reread the manual for what they describe as force start .
I was just thinking that in an emergency maybe the brain could be reset by pulling off a battery cable or maybe even pulling a main fuse.

Good question... I kinda wonder about this too but mostly because of winter, sometimes it can be pretty brutal in Canada and you need to manually start your car, hopefully the push button won't be a curse :)

The key fob physical key is only for the door locks when your key fob is dead, and you can start the car with the NFC chip in the fob to the push button start button as described above.

Are you saying what if the main computer malfunctions on the car how would you start it with a push button start? Well how the hell would you start it with a physical key either? It'd be the same thing.

People are making some good points here.

First let me say I love this push button type ignition. It is the darn handy thing.

However after having it not respond once gave me pause for concern.

My guess this occurred because I did not push hard enough on the brake. But suppose that is not the reason as I already saw posted on another forum.

A traditional ignition is almost a diagnostic tool. That is, *what the car does after you turn a key can be used to isolate issues. In this case what if the problem is the ignition itself? *or maybe it is? *How would I know?* What would I do next? I could put a voltmeter across the battery, but then what?

I do not have a wiring diagram for this car as I tried an internet search. Is there a fuse or a relay or other electronic component that could fail, that is, *besides the key fob battery ? Is the car brain as it relates to the ignition an all or nothing thing? That is if brain fails to start the car would a reset by removing the battery cables help? I mean when my home computer malfunctions the first thing I do is restart it.

With cars built like they are today, they are so far from being like in the "Old Days" when you would jump the Starter Solenoid with a wire, or fix it by tapping it with a hammer.

If the Start Button isn't working... THEN...

There are More Issues that you have to worry about then just the starter...

More than likely it wont be limited to just that...

You could Walk...

You are worried about something that has been "Out Of Your Control" since about 2005...

There are No Cars Being Made Today that you can just start if there is some issue preventing it from starting normal.

What do you think the security system would do if you tried to start the car "Manually"

it would interlock the Ignition and Injectors.. (Like it is supposed to do)

Bump Starting a car like this wouldn't work either.

Basically, do regular maintenance and enjoy your car..

Last edited:
Well you could be right. Never hurts though to study some wiring diagrams as soon as I find some.
I have installed car security, head units and remote starters so there is usually a work around anything .
True , I may be worried needlessly but my faith in technology only goes so far.
If I discover anything that has potential I will post back.

The problem has occurred a few more times however now I have an explanation. Occasionally when I sit in the car the fob is not registering with the starting sensor . I just take it out of my pocket , put it near the button, and start as usual. Not a big issue now that I understand it.

I think I know what Brunetmj is experiencing.

Sit in the car, fob in pocket, push start button.... Nothing at first, give it a few tries then the nav boots up and radio comes on. Push again, no ignition. I've had this several times now.

I'm now getting the odd occasion when I get ignition (after lots of effort) but with foot on brake in park (auto) won't start. Dead, just the lights and radio etc. Step out the car with the key, the display then tells me the key cannot be read, but the lights are still on, seems to have frozen. All at once, clears and works.

I'm going to take it into the dealer when I get chance, and for the time being I'm using the spare fob just in case.

Can't be battery going low, car has only covered 2,500 miles so far.

Last edited:
Update...

Spare fob made no difference, and I find that if I get a starting issue, when it finally kicks in, no Tom-Tom at all, not even a beep if the Nav button is pushed.

Booked in with dealer, who replaced batteries in both fobs. Considering one fob had only been used a handful of times and less than 3,000 miles on the clock, not likely.

That night done it gain. No orange light on the push button, nothing! Try about 30 times, get out the car & back in again, and it works.

Beginning to irritate me somewhat. Booked in for second time with dealer.

Alex

You might have a consumer device that is broadcasting out of spec and interfering with the signal from the key fob.

Maybe test without any electronic devices (cell phones, etc.).

I have had keyless ignition now for near 4 years, in that time the car has failed to register twice.

On both occasions there seemed no logic, but by placing the fob nearer the dash the key registered.

Changing the fob batteries appeared to may no difference.

sorry to resurrect the dead thread....

Dear Alex,
Was this problem ever got fixed? what was the issue?
Update...

Spare fob made no difference, and I find that if I get a starting issue, when it finally kicks in, no Tom-Tom at all, not even a beep if the Nav button is pushed.

Booked in with dealer, who replaced batteries in both fobs. Considering one fob had only been used a handful of times and less than 3,000 miles on the clock, not likely.

That night done it gain. No orange light on the push button, nothing! Try about 30 times, get out the car & back in again, and it works.

Beginning to irritate me somewhat. Booked in for second time with dealer.

Alex

On the coldest day of the year my CX-5 would not start. Instead of a green key on the dash when I depressed the brake pedal I had a red one. I tried the force start. Nothing! After freezing my butt off and just before calling Mazda Roadside Assistance, it started. Had a check engine light. I called the dealer and they said they recvd. other calls from CX-5 and 6 owners with the same problem. I eventually had some start/ignition relays changed out. Apparently there is a bulletin out for temps. below minus 4 and start problems with the push button start?

Back