Mazda survey - pricing insight on future changes to the cx5

nizzy1115

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
I got an email last week from mazda about a survey from them. It was very similar to the JD power survey. Here are some interesting things I took from it.

Future additions if enough demand:
$2800 extra for the diesel engine
$400 for leatherette or $800 for leather
$300 for idle stop
$800 for regenerative braking system (capacitors)
smart headunit capable of texting, surfing web, pandora integration, has own data plan possibly free with ads

I got the survey this weekend too. It appears to be a marketing study by Mazda to judge what options the present owners prefer and are willing to shell out for those options. The $2800 extra for diesel option seems to be steep. Of course they also listed the options of turbo charging and EV. May be after the results are in they will make up their mind and make those options available in 2014.

I got the same survey. Yes, the $2800 premium for diesel seems a bit steep (at least for US market, because diesel fuel often costs more than premium gasoline), but close to what I expected. It's nearly a $5000 premium in the UK.

I think 2800 premium for diesel isn't too bad considering that VW has a 5k price jump for their Golf in NA. On top of that, the golf doesn't get better power by choosing the diesel over the 2.5, just better mileage. Now, will people be willing to pay that for Mazda who isn't really renown for their diesels??

Just answer yes so that they bring the damm thing :p

Last edited:
Maybe the diesel and regen braking.
Couldn't care less about about leather or more infotainment stuff.
I actually often against the grand touring because it came in leather only.

I've only seen regen braking on hybrids. What does it offer to a non-hybrid?

BTW, I'd opt for no on all of the above.

BTW, I'd opt for no on all of the above.

It's a low cost (comparatively) and innovative idea.
While breaking, capture kinetic energy into a big capacitor. Use the captured electrical energy to supplant the battery.
This, in turn, reduces the load on the engine to charge the battery, which improves fuel economy as well as improve available low-end torque and preserve brake pads.
It is low cost, because there is no electric motor, expensive / heavy battery.

Since this is marketing campaign, you can't tell if $2800 is the real price. It is possible other Mazda owners get similar survey with different numbers (e.g. $5K for diesel).

It's a low cost (comparatively) and innovative idea.
While breaking, capture kinetic energy into a big capacitor. Use the captured electrical energy to supplant the battery.
This, in turn, reduces the load on the engine to charge the battery, which improves fuel economy as well as improve available low-end torque and preserve brake pads.
It is low cost, because there is no electric motor, expensive / heavy battery.

Since this is marketing campaign, you can't tell if $2800 is the real price. It is possible other Mazda owners get similar survey with different numbers (e.g. $5K for diesel).

So the regen battery takes place of the alternator?

So the regen battery takes place of the alternator?

Not sure about this; either they have one with dual function (getting it's mechanical energy from either engine or wheels) or two.
I think you'd still need engine based charging as a fall-back, e.g. if the break has not been pressed for long enough.

While your braking or decelerating, the car uses its engine to help decelerate the car (engine braking). Pretty sure the CX-5 already does this. With regenerative braking, it uses the energy made from the alternator while braking to charge a capacitor. This capacitor is then used while your stationary on the i-stop system (so not using the battery to power the electrics, using the capacitor) and is also used while you accelerate. Until the thing goes empty. While you accelerate, the cars equipped with the regen braking have a varying alternator. If the capacitor still has charge, the alternator will go in a "mode" that requires less energy to turn it. Cars with only I-stop use the batteries energy to power the electrics while the engine is stopped. When the engine turns on again, it has to not just power the electrics, but also recharge the battery.

Last edited:
Basically in laymans terms, it is similar to a hybrid, but has no batteries and only enough juice to help acceleration from a stop for a few seconds before it runs out of juice. So you're not going to be driving around town below 30mph only on battery power.

The gas engine is still working while accelerating, just not as hard.

It provides faster acceleration and much better city fuel economy since most economy is lost accelerating from a stop.

It uses a larger alternator (24 volt) that kicks in during engine braking to charge the capacitor and supply electrical accessory power with energy that would otherwise be burned in brakes. Then the capacitor (with voltage reduction) is used to supply electrical accessory power while it last so the alternator can idle and not rob power from engine during driving. In stop and go it helps a bit as engine braking is used a lot. On level highway at constant speed, no engine braking, no help. It is a seperate system from start stop but combined they save more in city driving.

Thanks for the explanation. It seems like a lot of expensive parts, plus an upfront expense for not much payoff.

A leather option on touring models and diesel both sound good. Add in a 2.5L for $1500 and I'd be happy.

I was glad they asked about cloth quality. I added I'd prefer the option of manual
Tranny on all trim levels as well as offering only the advanced keyless system.

I would like to see the diesel option too but not at that price. Even though I did pay about 8000
USD for the diesel engine in my F350 :)

Good survey

I also mentioned the manual transmission preference with some options available.

You can see my choice...I love torque and fuel efficiency.
CX-5Survey.jpg

Back