Extra rust protection

Vorret

:
CX-5 GS FWD
My girlfriend just came running (almost!) in my office because the girls she works with told her we should pay to get a rust treatment on our car, we have not received our CX-5 yet and honestly it seems kinda useless since there's an 8 year guarantee on rust.

Just curious if it's an extra that's worth it.

My girlfriend just came running (almost!) in my office because the girls she works with told her we should pay to get a rust treatment on our car, we have not received our CX-5 yet and honestly it seems kinda useless since there's an 8 year guarantee on rust.

Vorret you probably know how the condition are here in Qubec, If you plan on keeping your car more than 5/6 years it's probably worth it but if like me you trade in every 4 year or so it's useless.
I know some guy's will tell you it add value upon re-sale but i dont think it's money you can get back.

We want to keep it for as long as possible, I guess it's not a bad idea but wouldn't it be cheaper if we get Canadian Tire to do it or there's a big difference between what the dealer would do vs aftermarket?

We want to keep it for as long as possible, I guess it's not a bad idea but wouldn't it be cheaper if we get Canadian Tire to do it or there's a big difference between what the dealer would do vs aftermarket?

Any quotes for the rust protection from the dealer?

No, I hadn't thought about it until my girlfriend came in my office an hour ago. Guess I'll give them a call

No, I hadn't thought about it until my girlfriend came in my office an hour ago. Guess I'll give them a call

Ive never rust proof any of my car but im not sure the dealer is the best way to go. Im almost sure they will be the most expensive quote you can get.
As for Canadian tire i wouldn't go there either, i would probably go with "Antirouille metropolitain" or big name like that.
Also dont go with the kind of "gel" they offer now apparently it brings bad oddor inside the cabin. Go with the good old liquid oil stuff.
Just my 2 cent's.
Also if you plan on keeping your ride for a long time it's probably a good idea.

Mazda put a box in my car that will prevent rust. It is attached to the battery in the engine bay. I don't know exactly how it works but it charges the car a certain way so that rust can't form. I got it for free because the dealership made a little mistake while selling me the car. Someone on this
site can probably explain how this little box works better than I. I am curious whether it actually works.

Well there is the rust protection that I got. It was $800 and was the electronic rust inhibitor. Installs in the engine bay right to the battery, It does not stop rust but slows down the creation of rust. What it does is create a high level very low voltage positive charge on your car, by doing this rust cannot work as fast (think about running in water) so it prevents the positive or negative ions from being stolen from the steel and creating rust. It will still happen though. The reason I bought it is that it is 100% guarantee if you ever get rust they will fix it transferable to new owners if you sell it. But it must be installed at the dealership, you cannot go to Canadian Tire and install it yourself and get that guarantee. I payed $800 for life time rust guarantee I don't care if the little box works or not. I have heard they don't even work at all, So I essentially bought a $800 rust protection. This does not protect against if i scratch my car up from the kids or a bike scratching the paint. But it protects against those rust spots around decals that didn't get sealed properly and rust on the frame of your vehicle.

I have always used Rust Check, applied yearly just after Remembrance Day. Does it work? My 13.5 y/o Volvo S70 has no visible rust while spending each winter in Ottawa. I keep my cars longer than average - until there exists no trade-in value. For me it is worth it and I will have my CX-5 (arrived in Vancouver Monday) treated in the fall.

Brian

In the USA...a good quality body repair shop can apply undercoating which helps it last alot longer. Years back, I think I paid about $200 for my GN and it looked appealing underneath while protecting the car.

i just did rustproofing yesterday with FXAuto. its a wax based preventative rust proof and they offer 60$ reapplication every year. not bad considering its peace of mind.

Wax based treatments have been shown to actually promote rust. This is because the wax dries and cracks, letting in moisture and trapping it in. That is why these are usually not recommended by automotive associations. No rust proofing has ever been proven to work at all, but if you must, go with oil or grease based treatments since these will fill back in bare spots automatically and not trap moisture. Be aware though that oil based treatments will attack rubber and plastic. I know this from experience, as all rubber fittings on my treated Protege 5 ended up sagging badly. BTW, the protege ended up a rust bucket despite annual treatments...

I didn't know anything about the rust protection (live in the US). I have already had to repair nearly a handful of rust spots on the 2014 model after just a year of ownership from little chips to the paint from debris on highways. It does rust very easily.

Back