Playing with Vinyl

Jwlj

:
2013 CX-5 Touring
I ordered a bunch of samples from Metro Restyling.
$1.99 for 4" x 8"

Below are pictures and colors from their website.
In the post below I will provide a bunch of pictures of it applied in our cars.
Ignore the crappy install job. It was a test to see how they looked in our CX-5.

3M DI-NOC Bubinga Gloss Wood Vinyl
qoeyir.jpg

Of the 3 wood patterns, I liked this one the best.

3M DI-NOC Birds Eye Maple Gloss Wood Vinyl
j7xfsh.jpg

Turned out okay, not great.

3M DI-NOC Light Birds Eye Maple Gloss Wood Vinyl
xogsv5.jpg

I did not like the look of this one at all. It could be how and where I placed it and the amount to stretching that was required.

White 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber DINOC Flex Wrap CA-419
24l3381.jpg

This one had a great texture to it as well. The only problem I saw was when I stretched it out. The checker pattern became distorted and lost that cool look.

3M 1080 G12 Scotchprint Gloss Black Vinyl Wrap
2s9y7ix.jpg

3M 1080 G10 Scotchprint Gloss White Vinyl Wrap

It looked like peeling latex paint up close.

3M 1080 G212 Scotchprint Gloss Black Metallic Vinyl Wrap
1eanuu.jpg

Had hints of metal in it. Similar in effect to our White Pearl Paint. Could be a good compliment to the white body if you were to put it over the black plastic trim that is around our car. This one was slightly transparent when I removed the backing. When applied no sign of the covered color came through.

3M Scotchprint 1080 Brushed Black Metallic Vinyl Flex Wrap 1080-BR212
293hb3p.jpg

This one had a cool texture to it. It might be a pain to clean in the car though. The brushed parts would probably hold onto dog hair and fuzz balls.

Last edited:
As I mentioned above, disregard the poor fitment. This was testing to see how the colors looked in the interior.
I rushed through this as it was HOT outside and playing with the heat gun didn't do me any favors.

358pcsp.jpg

2lmq887.jpg

15d5jjq.jpg

2cmro9j.jpg

25f2804.jpg

14jujw9.jpg

1zps9i0.jpg

23uvf5t.jpg

After I removed all the vinyl I figured i'd to mess around and re-use some of the stuff

34gt3jd.jpg

This was the first time I've played with the stuff. Rushed through the process to get out of the heat and beat the rain storm.
If/when I do this I will take my time and do it right.

For those that were looking at dash kits and were curious about what else might look good, bad, iffy... I hope this helps somebody.

Side note, I thought I ordered black CF vinyl.. turns out I ordered black CF fabric. It looks pretty cool, might be worth it to try and make a parking/E-brake boot with it if I go CF inside.

Last edited:
Looks like you've got a black interior. My personal choice would be the...

White 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber DINOC Flex Wrap CA-419 however its only because a brushed aluminum film wasn't listed.

Last edited:
There are a lot of vinyl at the site I ordered from.
The brushed black was pretty cool stuff.

I think I'm going to order a few different colors and do my interior a number of times and see how it comes out.
It'll be a while though.

I really liked the White CF stuff. Great texture. My only grip is how the pattern turns out when it's stretched.

My short list are

Bubinga Gloss Wood
White CF
Brushed Black

I might pick up some other colors later. I figured 7 was enough to start with.. would have been 8 had I got the black CF vinyl vice fabric.

On the exterior I'm thinking either the Gloss Black or the Gloss Black Metallic. That'll depend on how I tint the windows. I'd really like to have a seamless gloss look on the windows and window trim.

There are a lot of vinyl at the site I ordered from.
The brushed black was pretty cool stuff.

I think I'm going to order a few different colors and do my interior a number of times and see how it comes out.
It'll be a while though.

I really liked the White CF stuff. Great texture. My only grip is how the pattern turns out when it's stretched.

My short list are

Bubinga Gloss Wood
White CF
Brushed Black

I might pick up some other colors later. I figured 7 was enough to start with.. would have been 8 had I got the black CF vinyl vice fabric.

On the exterior I'm thinking either the Gloss Black or the Gloss Black Metallic. That'll depend on how I tint the windows. I'd really like to have a seamless gloss look on the windows and window trim.

I am thinking about bulk buying some vinyl for my car, do you think they would give us a discount if we buy in group or large amount?

Not a woodgrain guy but the 3M DI-NOC Bubinga Gloss Wood Vinyl really looks sharp.

I am thinking about bulk buying some vinyl for my car, do you think they would give us a discount if we buy in group or large amount?

I'll send them an email tomorrow, I'll also contact a few other companies as well.
We might get a deal if we keep referring their site here I dunno.
Better check with the list of vendors for this forum. Might be deals for us already.

Not a woodgrain guy but the 3M DI-NOC Bubinga Gloss Wood Vinyl really looks sharp.

I think so too. I was afraid it might have been a little too dark, hence the two lighter shades of wood.
My wife really liked the of the dash kit pics posted here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816465-REMIN-Wood-Dask-Kit-Installed

Just thought it was a little too much going on. Asked if I could do something similar.
That was the closest I could find to the burl.

The CF stuff does look sporty though. I was concerned that the white inside matching the body color would be a little too Fast and the Furious. Actually turned out okay.
Maybe a mix of white and black cf would look good.

I just went through our vendor list for Mazda247

1. Username: Jackelope (barry@bdtgfx.com)
Offering: Custom Cut Vinyl, Magnetic Lettering, Logos/Art and Xpel Protection Film for your Mazda!

4. Username: Blue Batmobile (bluebatmobile@san.rr.com)
Offering: Custom Vinyl Overlays for your Mazda!

I remember seeing bluebatmobiles stuff on 8th civic.
He had a website at one point if I remember. I guess you PM him your order vice ordering it through a site as he does custom cuts and he can't put every single option online.

Here is his photo album:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/BlueBatmobile2005/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ12

I found this site, http://autovinylsolutions.com/3M_1080, looks like they have a lot of options. I'll send them an email and see if they would sponsor us or give us a deal.

I looked at those guys as well.
Metro Restying had a better size sample for what I intended to do. There are ALOT of vinyl guys out there selling 3M stuff, even more selling generic, self brands, or other name brands.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816465-REMIN-Wood-Dask-Kit-Installed

The CF stuff does look sporty though. I was concerned that the white inside matching the body color would be a little too Fast and the Furious. Actually turned out okay.
Maybe a mix of white and black cf would look good.

Yeah hold off on the white as my second thoughts are it may look tacky 6 months from now. I'm a fan of brushed aluminum on black. I've got this same identical interior in my VW CC.

Dash3.jpg

Looking at the white,.. I can't help but think about all the pictures of the Chevy Camero's and Chrysler P.T. Cruisers. So many pictures with body color matching dash trims. Our car is not a race car, nor is a POS Chrysler product. ;)

The texture of the CF felt cool though.
Just a heads up,.. the Vinyl stuck to the gloss black trim piece pretty well. Might not need the primer there. Think I could do a longer term test and not worry about dealing with messing up the trim.

I do have a discount code that the provided me with if nothing else works.

Good to hear! I saw that Metro sells paint protection film but it doesn't specify what brand. Do you know if its Ventureshield, Scotchguard, etc?

The top picture has an Avery logo on it.
So, I assume it would be found here.
http://nano-fusion.net/

The bottom doesn't really hint. Could be an in house brand? Or the same thing minus the logo in the picture.
I suppose you could call and ask?

Metro Restyling
Customer Service: 1-888-488-4695
mon – fri 10am – 6pm est
sat 11am – 4pm est
sun closed

Last edited:
I'll find out, also I am working on another company who might give us a deal. Well at least she is willing to sell a precut Ventureshield film for the hood, full bumper, fender, mirrors, and door scoops for around $250. If anybody is interest in buying with me let me know! Maybe we can make her come down even more in price.

Passing on the venture shield. Already have somebody scheduled to install it.
Metro Restyling hasn't e-mailed me back. Not surprised as they are pretty big and probably don't need anymore people promoting them.
I will go for some 1080 or DI-NOC though.

I'll find out, also I am working on another company who might give us a deal. Well at least she is willing to sell a precut Ventureshield film for the hood, full bumper, fender, mirrors, and door scoops for around $250. If anybody is interest in buying with me let me know! Maybe we can make her come down even more in price.

I should have waited a few weeks!! that's essentially what I got + door edge guards for $250 so they should definitely come down in price or add in the door edge guard film also.

As for the vinyl I would like to put some around the radio bezel as I already see some scratches there. The white vinyl looks real nice would like to put that around the steering wheel also.

I'm getting scratches in the drivers door handle trim. My tungsten wedding ring is wreaking havoc on that silver trim piece.

Back