Angel Eyes

Andy409

:
Mazda, CX-5 Touring
Has anybody thought about installing angel eye kit for their CX-5? I noticed that the low beam has a perfect circular silver bezel that would be awesome to mount a kit on!

cx-5 headlight.jpg

I had thought about it, however I feel that they are played out. Way past the flavor of the month.
If you do try, I would go for the xB LED rings by TRS.
The site lists White and Amber.
They come in other colors, you will have to contact them for other options.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=14906

Positives
1) Naked, no diffuser opening it up to alot of different placement possibilties
2) Very even light. Appears to have no gaps between the leds due to their size

The only downsides are
1) They are naked, if you want a diffuser have have to supply it.
2) White color has a yellow phospor coating

Read this thread about them.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?45605-Morimoto-XB-Led-Angel-Eyes
Alot of really great pictures in that thread. There are ALOT more pictures and colors posted through out that forum.

2wexwev.jpg

2yjojg2.jpg

qpj6dh.jpg

140znk6.jpg

m73mvd.jpg

34q79ds.jpg

2k1sll.jpg

10zr5as.jpg

Thanks! They look great, I sent an email to ask if they would know what size would fit CX-5s. If time and $$ allows here is what I was planning on doing for the headlights.

1) Angel Eyes
2) Tinting or removing the yellow turn signal reflectors (probably smoke them a little darker)
3) Switchback white to yellow LED signal lights ( I am wondering what these would like as DRL with the angel eyes and high beam drl all engaged)
4) HID kit, 4500K range, for low and fog
5) Xenon look alike halogen for high beam so that I can match the DRL as close to white as possible

Thanks! They look great, I sent an email to ask if they would know what size would fit CX-5s. If time and $$ allows here is what I was planning on doing for the headlights.

1) Angel Eyes
2) Tinting or removing the yellow turn signal reflectors (probably smoke them a little darker)
3) Switchback white to yellow LED signal lights ( I am wondering what these would like as DRL with the angel eyes and high beam drl all engaged)
4) HID kit, 4500K range, for low and fog
5) Xenon look alike halogen for high beam so that I can match the DRL as close to white as possible

#2 Have you considered making a clear acrylic copy and replacing it?
#4 If you follow my posts at all, you'll see I'm pretty vocal about the PnP HID kits. If you are going to have your headlights opened up anyway have you thought about replacing the lights with one of the mini's on TRS?
They are pretty easy. Remove the bulb, insert projector in from the front and lock the washers on the back. put in new HID bulb.

I'll be looking foward to the pictures with your Angel eyes installed.

#2 Have you considered making a clear acrylic copy and replacing it?
#4 If you follow my posts at all, you'll see I'm pretty vocal about the PnP HID kits. If you are going to have your headlights opened up anyway have you thought about replacing the lights with one of the mini's on TRS?
They are pretty easy. Remove the bulb, insert projector in from the front and lock the washers on the back. put in new HID bulb.

I'll be looking foward to the pictures with your Angel eyes installed.

What are min's on TRS? I have actually thought about maybe buying the OEM HID light assembly at one point (whistle)

Whew... It took me a while to get caught up on all your post about PnP in halogens. I kinda wish you continued your plans with the retrofit on HIDPlanet to see how they came out haha (first) but I understand where you are coming from. I am also now starting to be reserved about putting PnP as a halogen substitute, but honestly I am even more reserved about retrofitting. Not sure if all the cutting and modifying can be justified with the cost and time required. I say this because for those who purchased vehicles without an option of an OEM HID headlights installed at factory have only retrofitting to "do it right". But CX-5 comes with HID as an option, granted a $2000+ option, and I am thinking the best route would be is to just purchase an OEM HID headlights and install it myself.

This of course would only be reasonable if the price is right and if it is possible to simply interchange the headlight assembly. So... does anybody know if you can simply switch from halogens to HID?

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do my headlights.
I've changed the idea some what... It's now even more involved but if I can pull it off I think it would look killer.

Also waiting to see how the XStrips come out from TRS.

As for retrying... If you don't know how there are instructions on trs and hidplanet.
If you dont want to, or are missing the tools, time etc.... You can pay somebody to do it. I can help you find people if you want. Be prepared to pay for their time though.
I think all you need for the factory headlights is a harness... I think you can order the one from Mazda otherwise you can make one or have one made. Bixenon headlits are $700+usd each. At that point, might as well do a retro. You can get a quad for less than that.

I'm really glad you took the time to read up on the PnP / halogen issues.
I've really only posted a little bit as to why it's a bad idea.

Currently Hidillusionz is doing a group buy.
Discount on parts from TRS using their Morimoto line, and discount on the labor.
They did the retro on my last car, I can post a link for you about it if you like.

Give them a call.

http://hidillusionz.blogspot.com/2012/07/morimoto-hid-retrofit-group-buy-event_13.html

Last edited:
Has anybody thought about installing angel eye kit for their CX-5? I noticed that the low beam has a perfect circular silver bezel that would be awesome to mount a kit on!

View attachment 196374

Hey man,
Did you ever get the Angel eyes? And if so, where did you get them? And how easy were they installed? I was looking at: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=14906
But I'm completely unsure how they would go on just because there aren't any area's on the Halogen headlamp for them to really be clipped to. So that only leads to them having to be mounted? Any thoughts? Thanks

-Travis

Back