CX-5 Lowering Springs

Gwynne_

CorkSport is in the process of developing lowering springs for the CX-5. We installed some sample springs on Friday. Dropped it about 3" in the front and 4" in the rear respectively.

CX5LS.jpg

We would love to get some feedback from the forum on the ride height.

Thanks!

WOW you had to drop it that many inches to get it to look like that?
Don't get me wrong, I love the look! But knowing that you had to drop it that much, questions will arise regarding ride quality, and strut longevity.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look! But knowing that you had to drop it that much, questions will arise regarding ride quality, and strut longevity.

Ride quality is like stock. Struts will likely loose some life. They are at the bottom of their travel.

wow! that is really low. So these are totally different from the AWD springs that drop 1.25" in front & 1.75" in the back.
I just put 20's on my MT sport, and I've got a lot of wheel well to eat up, but 3" & 4" seems like a lot. especially if I'm going to have to change the struts after a few thousands miles.

IMG_20120729_203301.jpg
IMG_20120729_203245.jpg

What are you using to correct the camber???

I have same concerns about ride quality, handling on bumpy surfaces (due to 1/2 or more of the suspension travel eliminated), shock life.

Sure looks cool, great for cruising parking lots.

Do the bump stops get cut?

Great for LA drivers, but I have to put chains on a couple of times each winter, so not for me.

personnaly I think the drop is too much, half of that would be my max for the Cx-5 (1.5 and 2 inches).

I also agree that the drop is too much on this type of car. 1.5-2.0 seems more reasonable for real world use of speed bumps, frost heaves, potholes and load carrying. Bring it down a little and maintain the ability to absorb a bigger bump.

I'd also want to know spring rates and how they change from stock. I'd like a stiffer spring to minimize sag when I put a couple hundred pounds in the back or on the hitch.

LOOKS fantastic at that height. what do the control arms and drive shafts look like that low? i can't imagine the angles are good for the CV joints. can you post a couple of driveline pictures at that height?

I also agree that the drop is too much on this type of car. 1.5-2.0 seems more reasonable for real world use of speed bumps, frost heaves, potholes and load carrying. Bring it down a little and maintain the ability to absorb a bigger bump.

(iagree)
Corksport, how about making 2 sets of springs?
One can be an aggressive package with the drop mentioned in the first post (and can be an excuse to sell other suspension mods)
The second can be half that drop for people who still need to drive in the winter or are concerned about strut life.

Eibach does this often and calls one the Pro-kit (less aggressive drop, stock struts) and the Sport-line (lower drop with a suggestion of aftermarket struts)

(iagree)
Corksport, how about making 2 sets of springs?
One can be an aggressive package with the drop mentioned in the first post (and can be an excuse to sell other suspension mods)
The second can be half that drop for people who still need to drive in the winter or are concerned about strut life.

Eibach does this often and calls one the Pro-kit (less aggressive drop, stock struts) and the Sport-line (lower drop with a suggestion of aftermarket struts)

I will bring the suggestion to our engineers. If we were to start with one though, it sounds like we may want to start with a less aggressive drop

lowering springs on a brand new car is kind of leaping into unknown territory. Lowering it to the point where people begin to doubt the ride quality is more like a blindfolded jump off a cliff.
Start small!

btw, Has anybody test-driven the sample springs?

The car is still daily driven.

Lowering springs are already made that only drop it an inch. Why not test the limits before making the same old spring. I doubt we had several suggestions for lowering springs that lowered quite a bit. If no one wants them then we will probably never pursue this. At least the person that has to drive the car everyday will be happy.

The spring rates were modeled after stock. the ride is stock feeling just much lower. This car really needs some large wheels now. Luckily in Vancouver, Washington we see two days of snow a year. And that is a harsh winter. I want to test the MPGs to see how much of an improvement, if any, there was.

Brydon@CorkSport

Thanks for the early report, certainly worth experimenting. Given the stockish spring rates, concerns about reduced wheel travel dealing with larger bumps are more of a concern than snow clearance.

I agree that 1.5-2 inch drop would be best, I tow a small fishing boat and would be worried about wheel clearance with the added weight on the back with a 3 inch drop.

I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of this - I measured and I have 3.5" between top of tire and bottom of black trim.

Back