i'm surprised ne one is buyin CX

veejayy

:
rx-8
So i rented a CR-V 2012 AWD and drove around and then drove to Mazda to re- test CX.

The dealer was crowded with old and young driving or buying the CX.

Why??

i thought the American public had given up on cars that provide meaningful feedback and engagement to the driver!

going from the Honda to the cx for a test drive n then back to the honda showed how far honda has fallen in an attempt to engage the driver! The CX felt like an engineer had decided that it was his/her job to integrate the car with the driver. the honda was an appliance.

Thankfully there are still the Mazdas and the Bimmers who try. i just thought most people didn't give a s*** but at least for the people at the dealership and on this board they do.

I prefer the CX-5 over CRV but I tend to be selective with a not so typical history of automotive ownership.

But the CRV consistently sells 4 to 5 times as many CRV's in the US market alone, no doubt a extremely successful compact SUV.

Honda has built a great reputation with their reliability so it is no surprise they outsell any opponent. But they're not advancing, using the same engine they've had 10 years ago (but I guess they say if it ain't broke don't fix it) and the body styling is one of the biggest fails ever. If this SkyActiv takes off for Mazda they may have earned themselves lifetime buyers starting with us...

Yes we know how dated Hondas and Acuras are. It was really obvious when Acura pretended to be a premium car division, without automotive technology like direct injection, 6/7/8 speed advanced auto trannys, DOHC sixes/eights, etc. (not to mention lack of styling but with a beak).

4208 CX-5's sold in US in July 2012, 2nd best-selling Mazda model. Of course CRV, Escape and Rav4 sales are 3x to 4x or more. This is a hot segment (compact SUV/CUV's).

Much in the same way that Miller beer sells more than others, not the best but the least offensive.

Yes, I think the more demanding drivers will tend to choose something other than the top-selling CRV.

As it is, CX-5 demand far exceeds original forecasts in all major markets, so sales are somewhat constrained by supply.

Its simple. Most people don't even know what kind of car they drive. Mazda is so far off of their radar, they never even consider it. They hear about honda and toyota reliability, and resale value and stop looking. They could care less if it drives like a cardboard box. To them, a vehicle is a tool to get someone from point A to point B. Personality is not required.

Lol, it's as simple as a bunch of clueless Honda owners driving highly boosted turbo CRV's and not even knowing or caring what they are driving....

Its simple. Most people don't even know what kind of car they drive. Mazda is so far off of their radar, they never even consider it. They hear about honda and toyota reliability, and resale value and stop looking. They could care less if it drives like a cardboard box. To them, a vehicle is a tool to get someone from point A to point B. Personality is not required.

Very well put. Owned 1 Toyota, great car and +100 on resale value but not a drivers car.

Well, CR-V has been selling for 17 years. I still see CR-Vs from 10 years ago on the road and many look like new cars.

CX-5 is great indeed, but many prefer reputation over a newcomer with new engine, tranny and new everything. Even though I have 2007 Honda Odyssey Minivan and was thinking of getting a new CR-V, I went with MT CX-5. No regrets here as I do love the car.

Let's wait and see how our brand new CX-5s will hold in 5, some in 10 years. Perhaps then we will be able to justify why so many bet on Honda's reputation and make a safer purchase so to speak.

I looked at and drove the CRV, and decided on the CX5 for the following reasons.

Six speed automatic in CX5 versus five speed in CRV
Wide center arm-rest instead of narrow fold down ones as in CRV
No extension on sun visors when using for side glass in CRV
Parking brake pedal in CRV instead of handbrake lever in console. Clutters up the footwell (I wear size 15's)
It would have cost me $3,000 more dollars to get a power driver's seat in the CRV.
Better handling in the CX5

I thought long and hard about getting a Crv or rav4.. But mpgs didn't compare, the new rav4 wasn't out and the Crv is fugly. Maybe Honda will get it right with them moving their design house to the us for next gens

I barely thought of new CRV, gave some thought to Sportage, considerable thought to new Escape.

I personally like the CX better too, but that doesn't mean the new CRV isn't a damn good car and stiff competition. Compared to the CX, it makes 20% more power, has a smoother/quieter engine, is noticeably quicker, and has more room inside. The tests so far also say it is more comfortable. The only areas it falls behind compared to the CX are the handling and a small mileage penalty. There are a lot of folks who are not going to drive their SUV aggressively and are happy to make the handling tradeoff for a faster, smoother, and more spacious SUV.

And Honda's reputation and resale value are proven. The CRV has been, hands down, the most reliable small SUV for the last decade.

To call these folks buying the CRV "clueless" is silly. They're just making a different tradeoff.

- Mark

I had a 4 spd CRV for quite a few years when I lived in Europe and loved it. I liked it enough that when I started looking at buying a car I started with the CRV. It was bland and I crossed it off my non-existent list. I almost bought a sportage but was concerned about the real world mileage people were reporting on a forum. Then I saw and drove the Mazda and my decision was made. All I had to do was wait patiently for the one I wanted. I enjoy driving it every day. I would, and did, give up the extra power that I don't seem to need, to drive a car I enjoy. I am so happy with my purchase.

To call these folks buying the CRV "clueless" is silly. They're just making a different tradeoff.

- Mark

No kidding. Go back and read the clueless remark, it's hardly a serious remark.

Back