Bottom Plastic Cladding

:
CX5 Automatic Blue
Not sure about the correct term but we all have the black plastic around the entire bottom of the CX5.
In a picture of a concept car it was really shiny and it looked great.
Can I make mine shiny using tire foam or tire shine spray. I know it will make it a little shiny but does anybody know if there will be any negative long lasting effects.
Any advice on products to use?

From the other car forum I frequent when I asked for a good protectant:

all products for treating the black vinyl and rubber parts on a car are a blend of glycerin, silicone, mineral oils, plus maybe some eye-of-newt, toe-of-frog etc. The main difference is in the liquid carrier, which will be either water based or solvent based. The water based carrier helps spread out the product and clean the rubber, leaving the glycerin etc on the surface of the rubber looking nice and glossy. As it is not actually bonded to the rubber it will dissipate after a short while, leaving the rubber cleaner, but back to its natural state. The solvents in the solvent based carrier products penetrate into the rubber opening up pores that allow the glycerin etc to sink in and stay in place longer. BUT, this is like crack-cocaine because these solvents break down and dry out the vinyl and rubber leaving them shabby looking when the glycerin etc evaporate. You reapply more product to regain the black luster, but the solvents open up and crack the rubber more. This becomes your life on drugs! Read the label or look up the product fact sheet and stick with the water-based products.

Someone also mentioned Mequiar's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner 40, and Aerospace 303. I haven't tried either yet. I have Slick's Trim Cleaner and it's water-based. It's good, but it doesn't take out wax residue like some of the others I've used(Autoglym HD wax left some nastiness where I didn't protect good enough)

Not sure about the correct term but we all have the black plastic around the entire bottom of the CX5.
In a picture of a concept car it was really shiny and it looked great.
Can I make mine shiny using tire foam or tire shine spray. I know it will make it a little shiny but does anybody know if there will be any negative long lasting effects.
Any advice on products to use?

You could Plasti-dip and their glossifier product.

Black gloss vinyl would work too.
Will take a lot more time than plasti dip though.

Hey cx in winnipeg. Im in winterpeg too. Not too many of us with a cx5. I think ive only seen 3 other cx's so far. One is in the parkade at work. What model and color did you get?
Edit, i see yours is blue. Dont think ive seen a blue one here yet.

Last edited:
I live in winnipeg too, St-James area. I have a silver GS awd with a captain morgan sticker in the back windown. I've seen 4 so far but none blue.

Hey cx in winnipeg. Im in winterpeg too. Not too many of us with a cx5. I think ive only seen 3 other cx's so far. One is in the parkade at work. What model and color did you get?
Edit, i see yours is blue. Dont think ive seen a blue one here yet.

Yep had to get blue, I have only seen 3 in the three months I've had mine. I have a GX with conv package. But I don't have a parkade at work.

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax worked for me. It's wide use includes protecting high voltage power lines to protecting boats to protecting car's paint.

I applied a the recommended very very thin coat (to avoid residue) on the black plastic sections and it provides great shine/protection.

I used Meguires Ultimate Black. Use it sparingly in areas you touch like the trim on the door pillars. It's greasy and leaves fingerprints when touched if you use too much.

Any thoughts on Rhino lining the stuff? I like the look, just would be a more aggressive look and more protective I would think.

Any thoughts on Rhino lining the stuff? I like the look, just would be a more aggressive look and more protective I would think.

My thought, not necessary or worth the expense.

This dark plastic is durable and scratch resistant already.

btw-Welcome ReMangG. How's the new CX-5 so far?

Thanks CX-SV, So far it looks like Mazda has an ad agency that is dead on. I only have about 1500 miles on it so far, and no disappointments at all.

The only thing with the body molding is that it is not black, but a dark grey, and I had a Jeep Cherokee years back that the trim faded badly on. The upkeep on it was frustrating to say the least, the silicone/glycerin/goop mixes never lasted, and shone up the paint after a rainstorm, only below the trim though. We were seriously considering the black color, but the molding made it look less appealing with the color. We went with silver and thought that looked great with the trim. I have had far too many older cars, and looked at this as something to watch for....a "how will this look in five years" kind of question. Of course nowadays, there are many more options to select from.

Back