Shift delay from reverse to drive

nycx5

:
2014 Mazda 3i Grand Touring
Just started to notice when i back my car out of my driveway and then put in into drive their seems to be a delay going into drive. Anyone else experience this ? Seems to happen only when cold....

Haven't noticed this yet and I've owned mine since March when we had quite a few cold mornings. Keep us posted!

To save fuel the auto does not engage when in drive with the brake on at idle - when you release the brake it drops into gear. It gives a much smoother, quiter, cooler idle(after warmup) as the engine is not pulling against the torque converter with the brake applied and no pressure on the gas. If you take your foot off the brake and go quickly to gas their may be a slight delay for the transmission to engage but most people do not notice as by the time you move your foot from brake to gas the tranmission has time to engage. If you have your left foot on the brake and right on the gas then it is easier to notice. Net, slight delay is normal but it is worth it to save gas and brake drag/strain/wear at red lights. I have wondered for years why this has not been implemented and often shift my other car into netural when rolling up to a long light but I must drop it into gear first before giving it gas...

Last edited:
Back