SkyActiv-D fuel system details

ralph33ca

Does anyone have any details of the fuel system for this engine?

Until they announced the Diesel for the CX-5, I had my heart set on the Golf TDI Sportswagen for my next vehicle. The TDI has a serious issue with the high pressure fuel pump grenading the engine which causes the whole fuel system to be replaced (8-10K repair). The current theory is that bad diesel or mis-fueling can cause the problem. The incidence is low (mostly with US gas) but that is a repair that is 1/3 of the car cost.

I hope the Mazda design is better.

Better be able to get a Diesel with manual and leather.(toetap)

Does anyone have any details of the fuel system for this engine?

Until they announced the Diesel for the CX-5, I had my heart set on the Golf TDI Sportswagen for my next vehicle. The TDI has a serious issue with the high pressure fuel pump grenading the engine which causes the whole fuel system to be replaced (8-10K repair). The current theory is that bad diesel or mis-fueling can cause the problem. The incidence is low (mostly with US gas) but that is a repair that is 1/3 of the car cost.

I hope the Mazda design is better.

Just saying, it makes no sense that a fuel system will cost more than a complete motor assembly IMO.

Not aware of the TDI issue with fuel pump gernading. Although putting gasoline into a diesel engine can be a problem.

Regardless, not sure what this has to do with CX-5 diesel....

Not aware of the TDI issue with fuel pump gernading. Although putting gasoline into a diesel engine can be a problem.

Regardless, not sure what this has to do with CX-5 diesel....

With the TDI, the HPFP destroys itself sending metal bits throughout the fuel system. At some point the engine will top running and die. The whole fuel system needs to be replaced given it now has metal bits in it (hence the high bill). Apparently, the US diesel lubricity is not as good as in Europe causing this to happen more in the US.

I am wondering if the CX-5 diesel design is also susceptible to this issue.

Can't answer your question, but all I know that this thing will not come in a diesel manual configuration in NA.

Chances are that this thing will be fine with the so called "bad diesel". I've also heard about the TDI problems with the fuel pumps and it seems to be the only diesel on the market to have these problems. If Merc and BMW are able to burn our NA oil, why wouldn't other manufacturers be able to? Just another VW problem.

Can't answer your question, but all I know that this thing will not come in a diesel manual configuration in NA.

Chances are that this thing will be fine with the so called "bad diesel". I've also heard about the TDI problems with the fuel pumps and it seems to be the only diesel on the market to have these problems. If Merc and BMW are able to burn our NA oil, why wouldn't other manufacturers be able to? Just another VW problem.

Not only BMW and Merc, but every diesel truck on the road. I'd go with a VW problem

With the TDI, the HPFP destroys itself sending metal bits throughout the fuel system. At some point the engine will top running and die. The whole fuel system needs to be replaced given it now has metal bits in it (hence the high bill). Apparently, the US diesel lubricity is not as good as in Europe causing this to happen more in the US.

For years, I wanted a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but this fuel pump issue scared me off. Luckily, the CX-5 with 6MT came out this year

Not only BMW and Merc, but every diesel truck on the road. I'd go with a VW problem

Agreed, a VW problem, not a Mazda CX-5 problem.

The DPF and rising oil level problem impacts a variety of different brand diesels and a thread was started on that issue with few responses.

This is a pretty fascinating theory, about diesel lubricity.
I don't know anything about foreign fuels, but I work in downstream distribution for Shell in Texas.
To my knowledge, there's only a couple US refineries still refining high sulfur diesel, and it is only used in railroad locomotives. There's also low and ultra low sulfur diesels, depending on where you're at.
The amount of lubricity additive that is injected into ULSD is very minute. It is a very small rate per 1000 gallons.
There is a varierty of chemical additives used throughout the country to add lubricity, but the rates are all about the same - pretty low.
Alot of distribution terminals are now turning to bio diesel as a stand in for chemical lubricity additive for low sulfur diesel, for cost reduction reasons. Though, I have no idea how much better or worse
bio acts as a lubricity additive than chemical alternatives...

I would surmise that any DI diesel engine which utilizes a high pressure pump is susceptible to eventual failure, if diesel fuel with inadequate lubricity is continously run through it. Perhaps some more than others, as in VW's TDI case.

Back