High pitch sound from air intake when engine shuts off

Swayne

:
CX5
Hi all

new to fourm, new mazda owner.
Notice on CX5 in garage when I shut off engine, heard a low volume but high pitched sound. Open hood started and stoped engine, sound was comming from small box on lower air intake hose. Sound lasted for about 20 to 30 seconds, then an audible click sound (relay?). Happens every time.

Anyone know if this is normal? Thanks

just about every car does this. most have the sound muffled by the intake tubes.

when you turn the engine off, at least one of the cylinders will have some amount of compression pressure left inside it. the sound is the pressure release.

Sounds indicative of the servo motor in the throttle body performing a cycle once the engine is shut off. I believe most Mazda's do this. Or, since they have used drive by wire anyway...

There is also the possibility of a hissing from evap system functions, or the cooling fan staying on for a time after engine shutoff, if ECT is above a pre-determined threshold.

i somehow think it is something electrical, not mechanical. Because it also makes that high pitch sound when u not only when you turn on and off the car, but also when you just turn on and off the accessories. Always wondered what it was as well.......

Back