I feel so stooooooopid!

Lando

:
Save the manual transmission
So I'm rotating the tires on my BSU's (Beloved Spousal Unit's) Acura today and I have my compressor and impact wrench out and my tire pressure gauge. I got done and checked the tire pressure on the Acura and then just for the heck of it checked the pressure on my CX-5. Holy p** p**! Every tire on the CX-5 was over 40 lbs and one was 45lbs. No wonder my gas mileage has been so good! Despite several posts on this topic, I never checked them once in the month I've owned the car. Duh.

Yeah, they come that way from factory for some reason. There was another thread about it. Should probably be a sticky so people know to drop them down asap.

Yeah, they come that way from factory for some reason. There was another thread about it. Should probably be a sticky so people know to drop them down asap.

The reason for overinflated tire is due to the strapping during shipping. They are strap so hard and tight on boat, train and delivery truck that they need to be overinflated to prevent flatspot on the tire and exagereted travel of the suspension.

I checked pressure (cold first thing in morning) just after delivery on my CX, 2 pounds over, just where I tend to keep the tire pressure. So it seems my dealer did its job of prep.

Guilty here as well. I know they're over-inflated, but I've been trying to eek out the last ounce of MPGs out of the CX5, so I just left them as is.
I'll drop the pressure this weekend, what should they be 36?

because over inflated tires will get less traction and cause the center treads to wear faster than the outer treads. In addition to the fact that tires heat up and pressures build while driving and if they build too high they will burst.

Agreed, running extremely overinflated tires is not recommended.

Back