Adding a Turbo

elev8

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 AT AWD GT-Tech
I wonder if it's possible to add a turbo onto the gasoline CX-5.. I can't wait for the turbo-diesel. Don't know much about cars, any support appreciated!

It is possible with high compression engines. Here is the new FR-S that is turbocharged By the aftermarket (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9942)...granted they run 12.5:1 ratio which isn't as high as ours. I just don't see the aftermarket making any kind of turbo application since this is geared for fuel economy, and yes I know that fuel economy can get better with turbocharged applications. But all of this being said, as was said earlier...it can be done with enough $$$.

Is this going to be the wishlist thread? lol
Anything is possible with enough money. Question is, do you want to spend $5000 or more on a custom turbo setup running low boost with conservative tuning so as to avoid stressing the engine while gaining a few more horses and losing fuel economy? Since most users on this site will answer no to that, I don't think the aftermarket will respond well to requests for turbo kits. Not to mention, there is no aftermarket engine management for this car yet, so you would not be able to tune fuel delivery or ignition timing.

You could throw some nitrous on it. Unlike turbo's and superchargers, nitrous works well with high compression. But it would be more trouble than its worth for street use.

A turbo would be awesome. But unlikely. Really, i wish there was some way to just add 20 or 30 hp. Easier said than done.

Throw the Mazdaspeed3 engine in it. That comes with a turbo built-in. Hmmmmm, not a bad idea. Not bad at all... And if it had more of a real full-time AWD maybe biased more toward the rear to avoid torqe steer ... since we are wishing.

A turbo would be awesome. But unlikely. Really, i wish there was some way to just add 20 or 30 hp. Easier said than done.

Remember when Toyota offered the first gen MR2 with a very small supercharger (engine code 4A-GZE)? I still think that is doable in this car. A small rotrex or other centrifugal supercharger limited to 4 or 5 psi would do the trick. Just need piggyback ecu for tuning.

so other than the air filter, as of yet we have no aftermarket options for boosting power?
$5000 for a custom turbo set up will be too much.. but i would definitely spend $2000+ for a substantial power upgrade i.e. 30-40 hp+torque at lower revs
can we expect an ecu flash at some point? i have no idea where to find a rotrex supercharger or if this is feasible.

also- anything apart from an ecu flash will void warranty, right?

so other than the air filter, as of yet we have no aftermarket options for boosting power?
Corksport has an axle-back exhaust in the works, Autoexe also has a panel (air) filter and axle-back exhausts. Other than that, I don't think there's anything out there yet.

$5000 for a custom turbo set up will be too much.. but i would definitely spend $2000+ for a substantial power upgrade i.e. 30-40 hp+torque at lower revs
can we expect an ecu flash at some point? i have no idea where to find a rotrex supercharger or if this is feasible.
Remember, with motor-sports You have to PAY to PLAY.
Most forced induction kits (for other cars) are over $4000, the exceptions are used kits and incomplete kits (which require you to supply more parts, such as engine management). Then tack on installation costs and dynotuning time which can get pricey...

also- anything apart from an ecu flash will void warranty, right?
Almost everything mentioned in this thread is a warranty killer. ECU flash would void your warranty too if they could prove you did it.

Last edited:

Only thing I could think of is an ECU mod to possibly gain 15 hp or so. Then again gas mileage may go down.

Only thing I could think of is an ECU mod to possibly gain 15 hp or so. Then again gas mileage may go down.
15-20hp MAYBE possible with intake, exhaust, jdm/euro 14:1 pistons and a programmable ECU tuned for 93 octane... but you're already near or over the $2000 mark for all that together.
$1000 for every 10hp gained sounds about right in this segment of small displacement engines.

There's no way anyone is going to get 30-40hp out of this engine without nitrous, or spending an insane amount of money.

Mazda did everything they could to give us what we have. If there was anything left, we would have had it. Sure, we may squeak 2hp out of an exhaust, maybe a couple more from a flash, but IMO its not worth the $$$.

There's ALWAYS something left. All car manufacturers leave a good bit of safety margin for bad gas and dumb owners- find a way to tune that out and you'll definitely get some power back.

Back