PDA

View Full Version : rear seats headrests obstructing view

edwardzik
07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Will have to remove them or order European version,because 20% of view is obstructed .
(pissed)

CX-SV
07-22-2012, 02:00 PM
In 5500 miles I never noticed rear headrests, but I am 5'9".

edwardzik
07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
In 5500 miles I never noticed rear headrests, but I am 5'9".

don`t you look in the mirror when you driving

algo
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I would have to say the only negative I have found with the car so far is the poor visibility of the blind spot areas. Especially on the passenger side with the front and rear passenger headrests right in the line of sight. Everything else is awesome

Jwlj
07-22-2012, 07:23 PM
I would like the euro version as well.
Blind spot monitoring system is great though.

CX-SV
07-22-2012, 09:06 PM
don`t you look in the mirror when you driving

Yes, and see the road and traffic out back like I do in most cars. I guess I could refocus my attention to the headrests, rear wiper and defroster grid but I prefer to focus on he important stuff when driving.

Agreed, BSM works well.

gova
07-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Will have to remove them or order European version,because 20% of view is obstructed .
(pissed)

I agree. This really blows especially with smallish rear window.
I'll get a camera because of this.

Jcanracer
07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm with CX-SV on this one, I never even notice them, and I'm 5'8" with driver's seat in the lowest position.

Jwlj
07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
6'1" and I never notice the rear seats. How do you have the mirror positioned?

Macksma
07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't notice the back headrests either, but made sure to actually look at where they sit when I was out today. They do block a small section of the lower outside back window which creates a small blind spot, but either I never noticed, or got use to it within a day or two. And I'd like to mention that I love BSM. The first few days I thought 'meh' and didn't really look at it much, but now when I drive another car I feel like I'm missing something.

Jwlj
07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
If the car didn't come with the BSM I wouldn't have bought it.
The blind spot is large. I don't feel it is because of the headrests, more so due to the D pillar.

The CX-7 was much better for rear visability, best in it's class IMO and didn't need a BSM.

CX-SV
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Nearly all SUV's suffer from a blind spot to varying degrees, especially when a smaller low slung cars are lurking in rear quarter area. Even SUV's without the thicker D pillar have this problem, because during a quick glance often only the top of roof of low slung cars can be seen (or missed) when in rear quarter area.

I agree, the BSM feature really helps and I miss it when I drive my other 2 sedans.

Jwlj
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
It's also more than the D pillar, alot of cross overs have a bad design for a rear window.
I think the worse was the Nissan Murano and Rogue. We looked at those two a few years ago and though we loved them both, we couldn't get past not seeing anything behind us.
The CX-7 & 9 were fantastic, and it's one of the reasons we checked out the CX-5 when it came out.
We were a little dissapointed, but not enough to prevent us from buying one.

CX-SV
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes, not just D pillar, but belt line and window design makes a big difference. A example of SUV that was easy to see out of (side and rear) was the 2002+ Jeep Liberty, I had one for a few years.

I like the sleek design of the CX-5 and the excellent sightlines looking forward are best in class. I have no issues with side or rear visibility since my CX-5 has BSM and rear camera, but I think both those features should be standard (safety) equipment.

Jwlj
07-31-2012, 02:16 PM
agreed 100%
If they came with the Sport, I would have bought that one instead. BSM and Camera are the only reasons why I went up to touring.

mixmasterlove
04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
(pissed)
Im stopping buy a auto interior shop in the next few days that I heard does great work and gonna look into the pricing and removing a few inches from the bottom.

Okeano
04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
I would think that backing up into parking spots would be very hard w/o my backup cam. But I'm also not used to the size of it yet. As for driving goes, I did notice the head rests and considered having my back seats folded down when don't need them. But I did some tests and saw that whatever might have been blocked by the headrest would show up in the side mirrors, so that doesn't bother me much anymore. Blind spots during driving for shifting lanes are also small if you have your side mirrors angled correctly. I had mine pointed to high for a while and 2/3 of it was showing sky. After adjusting them down, I could see pretty much everything, but I still look over my shoulders for lane change as a habit, even with BSM.

cleverusername
04-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Any pictures of "European" headrests? Can they swap with US stock?

TreyP
04-22-2013, 08:37 AM
I would think that backing up into parking spots would be very hard w/o my backup cam. But I'm also not used to the size of it yet. As for driving goes, I did notice the head rests and considered having my back seats folded down when don't need them. But I did some tests and saw that whatever might have been blocked by the headrest would show up in the side mirrors, so that doesn't bother me much anymore. Blind spots during driving for shifting lanes are also small if you have your side mirrors angled correctly. I had mine pointed to high for a while and 2/3 of it was showing sky. After adjusting them down, I could see pretty much everything, but I still look over my shoulders for lane change as a habit, even with BSM.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Anything that is blocked by the headrests will easily show up in the side mirrors if they are properly adjusted. I checked it out on the way in this morning to confirm, since the headrests have never been something I noticed to be an issue before.

mixmasterlove
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM

For me, its more of a seeign behind me while driving on the highways in NY.

CX-SV
04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
This is exactly what I was going to say. Anything that is blocked by the headrests will easily show up in the side mirrors if they are properly adjusted. I checked it out on the way in this morning to confirm, since the headrests have never been something I noticed to be an issue before.

Agreed, a non-issue after 17K miles and over 1 year of driving the CX-5 rear seats in up position. Therefore I will retain US-spec rear headrests because I do want to have my passengers protected from serious whiplash injuries.

ekcooper
04-23-2013, 04:59 PM
I actually didn't notice them, but I took them out anyway. I rarely have anyone in the back of my car and I'm always putting the seats down for the bikes or dogs or whatever. They just got in the way. And, I love the blind spot monitoring. I don't find the car too difficult (my wife has a Nissan Altima Coup and I can't see a thing out of that car!), but the BSM is still really cool.

mixmasterlove
04-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Went today and they said that the leather was spray glued to the foam and basically it would cost about $400 to do it, sooooooooo off to the storage bin in my trunk they go. Lol

rcs914
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Just as an FYI - both of them will fit perfectly within the spare tire rim under the rear deck.

mixmasterlove
04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Just as an FYI - both of them will fit perfectly within the spare tire rim under the rear deck.
Thanks

ekcooper
04-23-2013, 10:25 PM

That's where mine are! That, and a can of flat tire repair.

Okeano
04-24-2013, 09:11 AM
For me, its more of a seeign behind me while driving on the highways in NY.

That's what I'm saying. The headrests aren't blocking anything directly behind you. Whatever gets covered by those show up in the side mirrors. Try it in traffic next time.

ta240
04-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm a big fan of seeing more rather than less out of a car whichever direction I'm looking. Cars are bad enough with their small windows for styling purposes so it would be nice to have the headrests slide down and more out of the way. Between mirrors, camera and windows there are a lot of things to look at when backing up or changing lanes so more chances to see that motorcycle or small child the better. As mentioned they are a safety item so I'd be worried about altering them and ending up with an injured passenger. But it would still be nice if Mazda updated the function on them as it would be a win win. Those that want less between them and the outside view would have it and those that don't care wouldn't notice.
It is another one of those things that is opinion and will vary from driver to driver. I think technically you could turn the car into a cargo van and remove the inside rear view mirror and still see everything from the various sources so there is always more or less visibility available.

transylvanian
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
After test driving the CX-5 and the 6, I had my measuring tape to check the fit of the kid seats. I ended up measuring the pitch distance between the headrest posts of both cars and the were nearly identical. If the headrest post length from the 6 is adequate you could buy and install those instead.

mixmasterlove
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
After test driving the CX-5 and the 6, I had my measuring tape to check the fit of the kid seats. I ended up measuring the pitch distance between the headrest posts of both cars and the were nearly identical. If the headrest post length from the 6 is adequate you could buy and install those instead.

I'm gonna look into them tomorrow. thanks. I'm wondering now if they have the red stiching also???

transylvanian
05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
I just measured the post pitch distance: 120mm. Post length is 155mm. Black sticking on the headrest (although my seats do have the red stitching they did not continue this on the headrests)

mixmasterlove
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Thing I figured out a way to fix this lil problem of mine..... just found this pix from outside the US:

http://www.sensethecar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Mazda-CX-5-2012-Interior-4.jpg

If any member can get me the 2 outside rear headrests, I will pay them through Paypal AND if they have kids I will send them some goodies from my site: lollipopmoon.com. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks

Texas Mazda Fan
05-08-2013, 11:04 PM
I removed mine. I bought a nice box to put them in. If I ever have rear seat passengers, they can install them.