rear seats headrests obstructing view

In 5500 miles I never noticed rear headrests, but I am 5'9".

I would have to say the only negative I have found with the car so far is the poor visibility of the blind spot areas. Especially on the passenger side with the front and rear passenger headrests right in the line of sight. Everything else is awesome

I would like the euro version as well.
Blind spot monitoring system is great though.

don`t you look in the mirror when you driving

Yes, and see the road and traffic out back like I do in most cars. I guess I could refocus my attention to the headrests, rear wiper and defroster grid but I prefer to focus on he important stuff when driving.

Agreed, BSM works well.

Will have to remove them or order European version,because 20% of view is obstructed .
(pissed)

I agree. This really blows especially with smallish rear window.
I'll get a camera because of this.

I'm with CX-SV on this one, I never even notice them, and I'm 5'8" with driver's seat in the lowest position.

6'1" and I never notice the rear seats. How do you have the mirror positioned?

I don't notice the back headrests either, but made sure to actually look at where they sit when I was out today. They do block a small section of the lower outside back window which creates a small blind spot, but either I never noticed, or got use to it within a day or two. And I'd like to mention that I love BSM. The first few days I thought 'meh' and didn't really look at it much, but now when I drive another car I feel like I'm missing something.

If the car didn't come with the BSM I wouldn't have bought it.
The blind spot is large. I don't feel it is because of the headrests, more so due to the D pillar.

The CX-7 was much better for rear visability, best in it's class IMO and didn't need a BSM.

Nearly all SUV's suffer from a blind spot to varying degrees, especially when a smaller low slung cars are lurking in rear quarter area. Even SUV's without the thicker D pillar have this problem, because during a quick glance often only the top of roof of low slung cars can be seen (or missed) when in rear quarter area.

I agree, the BSM feature really helps and I miss it when I drive my other 2 sedans.

It's also more than the D pillar, alot of cross overs have a bad design for a rear window.
I think the worse was the Nissan Murano and Rogue. We looked at those two a few years ago and though we loved them both, we couldn't get past not seeing anything behind us.
The CX-7 & 9 were fantastic, and it's one of the reasons we checked out the CX-5 when it came out.
We were a little dissapointed, but not enough to prevent us from buying one.

Yes, not just D pillar, but belt line and window design makes a big difference. A example of SUV that was easy to see out of (side and rear) was the 2002+ Jeep Liberty, I had one for a few years.

I like the sleek design of the CX-5 and the excellent sightlines looking forward are best in class. I have no issues with side or rear visibility since my CX-5 has BSM and rear camera, but I think both those features should be standard (safety) equipment.

agreed 100%
If they came with the Sport, I would have bought that one instead. BSM and Camera are the only reasons why I went up to touring.

Will have to remove them or order European version,because 20% of view is obstructed .
(pissed)
Im stopping buy a auto interior shop in the next few days that I heard does great work and gonna look into the pricing and removing a few inches from the bottom.

I would think that backing up into parking spots would be very hard w/o my backup cam. But I'm also not used to the size of it yet. As for driving goes, I did notice the head rests and considered having my back seats folded down when don't need them. But I did some tests and saw that whatever might have been blocked by the headrest would show up in the side mirrors, so that doesn't bother me much anymore. Blind spots during driving for shifting lanes are also small if you have your side mirrors angled correctly. I had mine pointed to high for a while and 2/3 of it was showing sky. After adjusting them down, I could see pretty much everything, but I still look over my shoulders for lane change as a habit, even with BSM.

Last edited:
I would think that backing up into parking spots would be very hard w/o my backup cam. But I'm also not used to the size of it yet. As for driving goes, I did notice the head rests and considered having my back seats folded down when don't need them. But I did some tests and saw that whatever might have been blocked by the headrest would show up in the side mirrors, so that doesn't bother me much anymore. Blind spots during driving for shifting lanes are also small if you have your side mirrors angled correctly. I had mine pointed to high for a while and 2/3 of it was showing sky. After adjusting them down, I could see pretty much everything, but I still look over my shoulders for lane change as a habit, even with BSM.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Anything that is blocked by the headrests will easily show up in the side mirrors if they are properly adjusted. I checked it out on the way in this morning to confirm, since the headrests have never been something I noticed to be an issue before.

For me, its more of a seeign behind me while driving on the highways in NY.

Back