more tomtom problems

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech
well here's a new one, today, on 3 seperate routes, teh screen would randomly show navigation backwards, as if you were looking out the rear window, not the front window...
have a couple short vids i'll upload and post tonight to show it

and of course the idiots at tomtom support say its not the software and to take it to mazda....

Have you updated the software and maps on the TomTom? I had a problem with mine locking up which was resolved (so far) with an update.

just whenever
on 3 different routes would flip back and forth some times (usually when making a turn)

i'm really tired of the crappy software from tomtom....

stromdriver, maybe you have a faulty SD Card. Didn't someone say earlier that the some cards were recalled when the vehicle first came out. Although now that I'm thinking about it, I think they were from NZ and not the States.

Interesting that you're running into all these Tom Tom problems strom. You may have a faulty unit. I use this thing on a reular through Jersey City and NYC with tall buildings that are sure to screw up any signal yet this thing works great. Never ran into these issues, Mazda should look into it and provide a new unit if that keeps up in my opinion.

Interesting that you're running into all these Tom Tom problems strom. You may have a faulty unit. I use this thing on a reular through Jersey City and NYC with tall buildings that are sure to screw up any signal yet this thing works great. Never ran into these issues, Mazda should look into it and provide a new unit if that keeps up in my opinion.

the problems aren't with the reception of the gps signal, its the software tomtom wrote for this device thats shoddy, ill conceived and tempermental, my wife's cx5 has alot of the same problems mine does so its not just me

I've used the GPS a lot and just want to add my input that I have never had any problems either. I use it multiple times a day (I rely on GPS for work to visit clients.) I agree with the other guy that you probably have a faulty unit, it's not bad software really, because I love the software, it's just a glitch or something.

it hasn't done the reverse thing again in a few short trips
but the software is definitely poorly executed, they surprisingly fixed the immediate navigation to whatever poi it thinks you said, but the voice recognition still sucks, and the lack of poi keyword searching thru voice, and the lack of poi sub categories in the touch screen are really short sighted

and like i already said, its not just me, my wifes cx5 has a lot of the same problems with the nav that mine does, we purchased our vehicles a few months apart (mine earlier, her's later)

Not implying anything, but I think it's kind of interesting you are having the same problems with 2 CX-5s but I don't think it's very common, or at least not very many posts on here among all the other fluff.

Not implying anything, but I think it's kind of interesting you are having the same problems with 2 CX-5s but I don't think it's very common, or at least not very many posts on here among all the other fluff.

which problems are you referring to?

Navigation direction

I have found a similar issue with the GPS either following a route or just having the the gps in map view. One day the map will show in reverse (driving backwards not being able to see upcoming street names). This occurs in both 2D and 3D view. The following day it will be ok. Later that day it will reverse again without even touching the screen) Regardless of what I do I cannot change it manually. The map setting option in 2D "change to direction of travel" doesn't make any difference either (route or no route). And if anyone asks it isnt like other Garmin or Tomtom gps's which you can set to face North. Of course when I go past the Mazda dealer it is working as expected (moving forward). I would love to know how to fix this.

Being a computer guy it looks to me like its a heat issue. See the pink colored artifacts? That usually indicates over heating.

Edit: I looked again on my pc after posting this on my phone and I take back my statement. It doesnt look like artifacts

Last edited:
I have read quite a few complaints on the nav system, not many consistent problems with the CX5 but this seems to be one people complain about. There was a recent software update that fixed the issue of the nav going where it thinks you said without asking for verification. Did that update fix the issue of not being able to change destination while moving? If not, that one is a show stopper for me. Understand the safety part but what if you have passengers?

Stormdriver, are the pictures enough to get your dealer to look into this issue?

Someone posted a link to a US Government Regulation soon to require no nav unit to allow address entry while moving for safety reasons (big brother is watching out for us AGAIN). This is a new unit that appears to have applied that reg in advance, as it does not restrict address entry outside the US. In the US if you want a unit that does not restrict address entry while moving you better get a protable unit now and probably not update it...

Being a computer guy it looks to me like its a heat issue. See the pink colored artifacts? That usually indicates over heating.

Edit: I looked again on my pc after posting this on my phone and I take back my statement. It doesnt look like artifacts

also a computer guy and thats not artifacts, its the overlays of teh route over the maps, poor graphics....its always like that

I have read quite a few complaints on the nav system, not many consistent problems with the CX5 but this seems to be one people complain about. There was a recent software update that fixed the issue of the nav going where it thinks you said without asking for verification. Did that update fix the issue of not being able to change destination while moving? If not, that one is a show stopper for me. Understand the safety part but what if you have passengers?

Stormdriver, are the pictures enough to get your dealer to look into this issue?

you can change destination but only by canceling your route and starting over

dealer cant do anything about it, i've informed them of all the problems i've ahd with it and that i was already dealing with mazda corporate on it
they aren't happy with them either, guy even said the other day he wished they never changed vendors (from garmin that they did deals with previously)

you can change destination but only by canceling your route and starting over

dealer cant do anything about it, i've informed them of all the problems i've ahd with it and that i was already dealing with mazda corporate on it
they aren't happy with them either, guy even said the other day he wished they never changed vendors (from garmin that they did deals with previously)

My car is still on a train, it's a touring without the nav. Was thinking about getting it, really like the idea of it being built in. But with the price to add it, the reported problems and limitations and my preference for Garmin I decided against it. BTW, does it have lifetime maps and traffic? So I got myself a Garmin 2595 for half the price with lifetime maps and traffic and terrific voice command system. Downside is that it is not in the dash and the phone options are nearly useless since the volume is too low to hear calls and Garmin is ignoring the problem. (shrug) I'll get around that with the bluetooth in the CX5. I know some of you don't have problems with the TomTom and are happy with it. Good luck Stormdriver, hope you get some resolution.

Back