Bug screen.

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
Has anyone put any sort of bug screen behind the honeycomb grill to protect the rad fins? After just a few hiway trips i already have some damaged fins from bugs. Any tips on where or how to mount a screen between the grill and rad?

Installed Gutter Guard on the bottom screen- now provides excellent protection. I'm trying to figure out how to install one on the top "honeycomb section". You can buy Gutter Guard at Homedepot for under $10.

Installed Gutter Guard on the bottom screen- now provides excellent protection. I'm trying to figure out how to install one on the top "honeycomb section". You can buy Gutter Guard at Homedepot for under $10.

thanks for the tip. i actually did this the day after you posted, but i wasn't yet registered on the forums. still lurking then. i've finally got around to uploading pics to see what it looks like.
ry%3D480

unfortunately the local home depot doesn't carry gutter guard. the employee said it's more popular in the midwest and east because of the weather there versus here... so, i searched a local ace hardware store and found it.

steps i did:
1. make a template made from a roll of paper for both the top and bottom grills. i made sure the templates were symmetrical by folding it in half before cutting it out. i then checked fitment to the grill.

2. cut the gutter guards based on the templates using wire snips.

3. the tricky part -especially the top grill:
it appears there's special tools you need to take apart the covers in order to access the back area. i gave up on that since i didn't have the right tools.
so, what i did instead was roll up each section and stuffed it through an opening near or at the center and rolled them out. for the top grill i squeezed the gutterguard down right by the hood latch & radiator. those with hefty forearms might ask someone else to help them out with that. i also had assistance using coat hanger wires bent into hooks that let me manipulate the guard and hold it in place while i tied it down.
ry%3D480

4. i had black wire ties that came in a roll which i used to tie the gutterguard to the grill. i tied them diagonally where a vertical and horizontal piece met so that the ties don't move around.
ry%3D480

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the tips and pictures! I will be doing this as soon as possible. Wasn't sure what these things were but they look great.

since i was posting from memory and did this back in july, i have a minor correction in the procedure and a few other points:

1. for the top grill, i managed to get it up there via the lower intake/grill & squeezed it up to the upper section. you start this by placing the gutter guard into a roll shape with enough flex to squeeze it through a vent hole. (i thought it was the upper hood latch originally because that was during my first attempt. plus, the way i did it is less invasive than removing flaps & covers & accidentally stripping the special screws.)

it helps to have skinny arms to push it upward, and coat hanger wires with small hooks poking through the honey comb section to help it along.

essentially i was fishing it into place after i noted where the center of the gutter guard was.

i anchored that portion with wire ties and gradually rolled it out to one end. i then did the same thing with the other end, working my way from center outward.

2. the center of the upper grill portion won't be perfectly flat due to a bulky portion behind the mazda badge. optionally you can cut a small cavity in the center that would provide a more flush fit, but i didn't do this. with trial and error you can put this into the template pattern when cutting out the gutterguard. the challenges would be to not cut out too much or too little in order to align the eventual fit.

3. also you can use tin snips, which are much easier to use than wire snips.

The holes look a little large in the gutter gard. Do you have a lot of bugs and small stones/sand get through? What do you think of putting regular window screen in front of the gutter gard?

Last edited:
The holes look a little large in the gutter gard. Do you have a lot of bugs and small stones/sand get through? What do you think of putting regular window screen in front of the gutter gard?

functionality-wise, i would recommend trying regular window screen. it's a much better protection.

the reason i chose gutterguard is not only aesthetics but also one might think that the larger holes would provide better airflow to the radiator when driving in a hot desert. it's a middle ground of sorts, especially since the cx-5 as far as i know does not have a temperature gauge, only a warning light. i wish it did.

for everyday city driving it's great. for long trips and trips facing more debris & bugs, adding an additional window screen would help too. i would think that the gutterguard might be able to provide better structural/rigid support for the window screen tied down when it faces wind resistance.

since installing it, i've been everywhere. it might have been a good idea to add the windscreen as well during those long trips. small bugs and debris still get through but overall the radiator is much better protected than without, it as you can see. these pictures were taken today:
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The temp light gives you four states; blue - cold; unlit - good; red blinking - hot, slow down; red solid - very hot, stop. I think the airflow driving at speed will be fine, the issue is when in hot slow traffic with air on. I am thinking that slightly lower airflow with unbent cooling fins will be better that unrestricted airflow with bent, clogged fins...

thanks for the temp light info. i prefer to pay attention to the behaviour of a needle temp indicator... but i suppose it's something i have to get used to versus an analogue gauge.

i see your point on the pros/cons. i'll make a note of it to install an additional removable window screen(time permitting) before driving in more prone areas.

thanks for the tip. i actually did this the day after you posted, but i wasn't yet registered on the forums. still lurking then. i've finally got around to uploading pics to see what it looks like.

steps i did:
1. make a template made from a roll of paper for both the top and bottom grills. i made sure the templates were symmetrical by folding it in half before cutting it out. i then checked fitment to the grill.

2. cut the gutter guards based on the templates using wire snips.

3. the tricky part -especially the top grill:
it appears there's special tools you need to take apart the covers in order to access the back area. i gave up on that since i didn't have the right tools.
so, what i did instead was roll up each section and stuffed it through an opening near or at the center and rolled them out. for the top grill i squeezed the gutterguard down right by the hood latch & radiator. those with hefty forearms might ask someone else to help them out with that. i also had assistance using coat hanger wires bent into hooks that let me manipulate the guard and hold it in place while i tied it down.
ry%3D480

Glad to be of help but it looks like you took it a step further. So for the top grill, you installed it in sections (rolled up between the the stock grille). Do you recall what size sections you eventually cut them into? The coat hanger trick to keep it in place is clever. I might as well get this project completed

Last edited:
Glad to be of help but it looks like you took it a step further. So for the top grill, you installed it in sections (rolled up between the the stock grille). Do you recall what size sections you eventually cut them into? The coat hanger trick to keep it in place is clever. I might as well get this project completed

actually by "sections" i meant the bottom section for the lower grill, and the top section for the top grill. the cutting i did was only for the outer shape of the grill portions. they're essentially one piece for either the top or the bottom.

both top and bottom pieces had to go in the same way, through a hole in the bottom grill. then, i got the top grill section to the top grill area with help from coat hangers and skinny arms.

once the top grill piece is in the top grill area, i started by tying them at the very center to anchor it. i then rolled it(one piece) out on either side with the hanger wires as i was tying them. i made sure my ties were roughly evenly spaced out and tied to a corner angle.

i hope this clarifies what i did.

Last edited:
Puddle.Jumper, great job, I will upload my pics of the lower grill cover I made. I have a question though, does anyone know what the removable part on the grill is for? There is one on both sides.... see the picture below

attachment.php

This does allow some more room for tools, so maybe it will help on these installs.
If you go look at it, the clips holding it in are on the inside, slip your finger through the grill and pop it off....

Last edited:
actually by "sections" i meant the bottom section for the lower grill, and the top section for the top grill. the cutting i did was only for the outer shape of the grill portions. they're essentially one piece for either the top or the bottom.

both top and bottom pieces had to go in the same way, through a hole in the bottom grill. then, i got the top grill section to the top grill area with help from coat hangers and skinny arms.

once the top grill piece is in the top grill area, i started by tying them at the very center to anchor it. i then rolled it(one piece) out on either side with the hanger wires as i was tying them. i made sure my ties were roughly evenly spaced out and tied to a corner angle.

i hope this clarifies what i did.

Oh I see. I may try a similar technique for the top grill. thanks.

Vielen Dank Pistensau, I was thinking it was for tool access, but there is nothing close to where they are that would require it.

Back