Going Towing with the Cx5

CorkSport

2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Authorized Vendor
:
All Mazdas!
The Cx5 tows a small trailer well.

Cx5-CorkSport-Towing.jpg

We installed the Mazda accessory tow hitch and wiring adapter.

-Derrick

Looks like a nice combination. What does the trailer weigh loaded? The trailer also looks to have a fairly smooth and rounded frontal area to help with the wind resistance.

The Cx5 tows a small trailer well.

Cx5-CorkSport-Towing.jpg

We installed the Mazda accessory tow hitch and wiring adapter.

-Derrick
I am curious, is it a Manual or Auto transmission? Man that trailer looks small! My wife was thinking about a little trailer like that. How about a pic of the inside for reference? :)

The Cx5 is a sport model with a manual gearbox. I will see if I can find the weight on the trailer.

-Derrick

The trailer is >1000lbs. I dont have a scale weight for it though. The person doing the towing said it dropped about 10mpg at freeway speeds.

-Derrick

Awesome! I've been thinking about a CX5 as my next vehicle and its good to see someone else towing with it. I'd feel more comfortable if it were rated for 2,500 lbs since my trailer is going to tip the scales just over 2,000 fully loaded but it should handle it. I'm waiting to see if they adjust the towing capacity for the diesel version (if it ever gets released in the US).

Caravan.jpg

Here another combination.
I tow mine last weekend. It goes very well but when you want to pull it uphill you need to down shift one or two gears to maintain speed.
Fuel consumption was on the way through was 13l/100km with lots of headwind. Coming coming back without wind was 10,8l/100km.
The weight of the caravan loaded was 1300kg. My cx-5 is a petrol 2.0L manual with 165PK.

Last edited:
I towed a pair of motorcycles about 130 miles on Sunday. The gauge read 25.3 mpg. I'm pretty impressed with that considering a forerunner I recently borrowed got less than 18 mpg for the same task.

Last edited:
In the UK the Diesel is rated to tow 2000kg.

The 165ps petrol I think is 1800kg.

If towing with a petrol the 2.5 will be the better option.

I'm not sure why U.S. ratings are so much lower. It could be the highway speeds we travel at, required crash tests, average temperatures, or it could just be politics used to sell larger pickup trucks. Anyway, we don't have the diesel yet in the US. I'm patiently waiting. However I'm a bit unimpressed with what Mazda has to offer when it comes to manual transmissions. We can only order the 2.0L motor front wheel drive in the base trim package. I'd really like AWD, 2.5L, and stick shift with leather. I'll wait a little longer and maybe send them a letter and tell them to get their act together.

Back