rear bumper fog lights/reflectors.

Blue zoomer

:
2013 cx-5 touring
Any information on how get rear bumper fog lights in place of the empty light housings on American spec CX-5s? I belive other markets have red fog lights in the rear bumper inplace of the reflectors.

Isn't that why the reflectors are there? I don't think I've ever seen rear fog lights on a car before.

Actually, my '99 Volvo sedan has one. There is a rear fog light switch in the dash which when activated takes one of the rear brake light bulbs (the car has 4) and turns it constantly on. This makes the car sooner to see when being overtaken from the rear in fog by other vehicles. I think it's a really good idea.

Brian

My Jetta had one , darn useful to have in foul/foggy weather. The lower the mounting position the better. i too would love to add a rear fog light if anyone can come up w/a aftermarket kit.

Isn't that why the reflectors are there? I don't think I've ever seen rear fog lights on a car before.

Standard equipment on all Mercedes cars (including US market) one rear fog light as others described. Far more visible to cars approaching from back in fog than reflectors.

If your headlights are barely penetrating the fog, how close do you think you would be before your headlights lit up the next cars reflectors and came all the way back to your eyes through the fog? That is why they are powered rear fogs.

Any information on how get rear bumper fog lights in place of the empty light housings on American spec CX-5s? I belive other markets have red fog lights in the rear bumper inplace of the reflectors.

I've been thinking about removing them and doing an DIY job.
Found some good LED's that would cut through the fog I think.

Thanks for the info Jwlj. I had hoped to get the factory rear fog lights that are installed on CX-5s in other markets.

Haven't found a part number yet.
Email a dealer in europe for a P/N? Best chance I think.

I was going to post the following in a new thread until I came across this thread. Now that the CX-5 has been out for awhile, maybe someone has some current info.

Rear Fog Lights should be standard equipment but because the USA gives almost everyone a license to drive, there are a lot of idiots behind the wheel. Which is why they don't require all cars to have rear fog lights. Some of those idiots, and I've seen many Audi drivers who do this, don't know the proper use of Rear Fog Lights and they drive with them on when there is no reason to do so. They are properly used during conditions of limited visibility so that an idiot who is driving at excessive speed under adverse conditions, hopefully will see the brighter Rear Fog Light (same intensity as brake light) and not smack into the rear of an unsuspecting motorist.

On the BMW's that I've owned, I replaced the stock US Spec light switch with a Euro one which enabled the use of the rear fog lights since the bulbs were already installed, but were just used under panic braking situations.

I'm on a mission since I think this is one of the most important safety features of a vehicle when used properly.

Here's a pic and you can see the space for the bulb in the lower left corner of the lens (pay no attention to the tacky chrome trim (loser)):

Chrome-rear-fog-light-cover-Lamp-Cover-trim-for-2011-2012-Mazda-CX-5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not on a mission, but I will ask the British CX-5 owners in that thread.

Some of those idiots, and I've seen many Audi drivers who do this, don't know the proper use of Rear Fog Lights and they drive with them on when there is no reason to do so.

ahhh, never thought of that problem. I've always thought the idea behind rear fog lights was a good one. But I could see that happening a lot, especially when so many drivers seem to think lights are a decorative item on cars:

They are great when they are on all the time and purple :)

Then there's those that aim their fog lights as high as they will go because "they don't light up far enough down the road" and then drive with them on all the time.

Or my favorite, tinting taillights; because, I guess, it is so annoying being able to clearly see brake lights in the bight sun. And there's no real reason for lights on the back of a car.

Back