Testing the Bose

dsonyay62

:
2013 CX-5 Touring, FWD, Tech Package, fog lights, Bose, Moonroof
Wow..

I read a few posts on testing out stereos and I've read mmore than one post where a good CD to use is Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" CD. (not a MP3 copy, but the original CD in /wav format)

I happen to have this CD (don't ask) and put it in the CD player in the car and was blown away at the difference in quality of the Bose stereo as compared to streaming music through your phone, MP3 downloads, HD radio, etc.

I also through in a CD I have of Steely Dan (Gaucho) and it sounded fantastic.

Over all I've been happy with the upgraded Bose stereo, but I had no idea it would play soooo much better original CDs.
Even though these cars don't have the subwoofer, I was very happy with the bass response and how "clear" and "crisp" everything sounded. Really nice how you can hear very subtle sounds I didn't notice before when listening to the same CDs in my inexpensive home stereo or other cars.

Also-- with CDs playing the option to turn on Centerpoint is available, I can't tell a major difference with it on or off. Not sure what to listen for with this feature.

:)

There are some great testing CD's out there. At first I was very disappointed with the BOSE audio system, because mp3's and bluetooth sound very flat, lifeless, and uninteresting. I put in my favorite test CD, and I was blown away! It was awesome! There is such a big difference in the sound quality.

I'm getting to like the Bose better w time and experience. The rear speakers have far lower sound quality than the front I believe. The further front you keep the fader the better for reasonably tight bass, otherwise it turns to mud. With using predominantly the front speakers the center point feature is fairly interesting and decent, and you don't lose all your bass when you switch it on like you do when using a lot of rear speaker, for whatever reason. It's also nice that the feature is automatically disabled with highly compressed streams, such as Bluetooth, which the manual says don't work well with it.

I have to admit the Bose radio didn't impress me much. To get any surround out of the radio I went one click from max rear speakers. I then started to hear them kick in. For Treble and Base I also had to nearly max each out. I tried different radio stations and the XM satellite and depending on signal strength got ok response. I ripped some CDs using MP3 format with max sampling rate. I tried to compare a CD Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet track 5 "Wanted Dead or Alive". It has some good base and drum punch. I ripped it to my USB drive and found that they were nearly same sounding. I then got brave and decided to crank it up so see how it responded. The volume maxes out at 60. At 55, I got real good sound quality. Not sure why you have to max the volume out to get that kind of sound, but it does. I wouldn't normally listen to it that loud all the time, but it's nice to see it can. I don't know if that would cause damage though.

I for one am very unhappy with the Bose system in the CX-5. It is probably the only thing that I do not like about the car. I feel the sound quality is very poor except at very high levels as one poster offered but at normal listening levels, it is only a little better than a good stock radio. I previously had a 2002 Acura MDX with a Bose system that sounded awesome even at low volumes and I expected that the system in a 2012 vehicle would be even better. Unfortunately this was not the case. My wife, who is not as much into the sound quality as I am even commented that she was disappointed in the sound. I really wish in this great car that Mazda would have put a little more effort in to a better sounding system.

I don't get what's so bad about it though. People just say it's bad and stop at that, what exactly is bad about it?. Is it not clear? mine is very clear, bass is just nuts, HD stations sound incredible. I have the Tech package though these may be different than stock but still Bose is Bose very high quality speakers.

Actually Bose is total crap for home theater and home audio. It's gimmicky junk. I was so disappointed when I found out the cx-5 would have bose, but I was pleasantly surprised. Especially without a dedicated sub, I think it sounds pretty good. People just think bose is good because they tell you they are good on their own infomercials.

Actually Bose is total crap for home theater and home audio. It's gimmicky junk. I was so disappointed when I found out the cx-5 would have bose, but I was pleasantly surprised. Especially without a dedicated sub, I think it sounds pretty good. People just think bose is good because they tell you they are good on their own infomercials.

bose is like apple, in that their stuff is 'ok' definitely not worth what they charge for it or the hype they build up over it

Back