Autocross with CX-5?

MadMan2k

Has anyone ran their CX-5 in a SCCA or similar autocross event?
The vehicle has great handling and Mazda even demonstrated it early on at Laguna Seca, also it has been reviewed on racetracks a few times, so I would think it would be suited for autocross.
I hear that the Static Stability Factor can be a disqualifying characteristic of a vehicle, for instance the Fiat 500 is not stable enough to be allowed at some events when left stock. I haven't been able to find the SSF rating of the CX-5 yet, does anyone have that information?

Thanks

Our region denied a guy that brought out his Mazda 5 years ago... so I can guarantee you the CX-5 would be as well.

Whereas it handles and transitions well through rolling hills, I could see an inexperienced driving getting out of control with it.

Most of those are dominated by the Miata for a reason. The CX5 handles very well for a CUV but its still no sports car. It would be interesting though to see how well it could do. Keep us posted if you try.

the handling for a CUV is good, but in order for it to compete with sports cars it will need to either handle better than it does now, or have more power...or both.

I'm sure you could find an autocross event where you would be allowed to run a CX-5. Parking lot-type events with cones, for sure; high-speed events (i.e. on a race track), maybe. Based on horsepower-to-weight ratio you would likely be put in the slowest class, so not competing with Miatas.

High-speed autocross is tough on brakes and automatic transmissions. And on new stock tires. If you really wanted to run hard it would be smart to put in competition brake pads and disposable tires; the stock pads would likely be converted to smoke after a few runs if you really pushed it.

There are also clubs and tracks that offer non-competition high speed lapping where you can run at eight-tenths and have a highly satisfying experience with much less stress on the vehicle, or as much as you care to subject it to.

With that said I ran my Passat Wagon--similar power/weight to CX-5--at a Midwestern Council high-speed autocross when it was a couple years old on stock everything, didn't win anything but had a ball and no harm done.

I don't have one yet but it is at the top of my list when I buy a car next year. Waiting mainly because of the possibility of a diesel engine version. I like diesels.
I might just end up keeping my car and getting a Miata, but I have a wife and a baby and they couldn't both ride with me in it so it would be selfish fun. The cx-5 would replace my ex-cop car Crown Vic and hopefully placate my desire for a nimble, sporty car as well.
Maybe if the Mazda6 gets the diesel engine I would consider that...

Mazda advertising and press conferences do a good job demonstrating that the CX5 can be competent on the track, but that is quite a far stretch from being competitive.

I took my previous car to the track (autocross, drag, circuits with NASA HPDE) and everywhere I went, people said how my toyota matrix did well... for a minivan. I took the light-hearted ridicule in stride, but now I cannot even imagine taking a BIGGER vehicle with a worse power to weight ratio to any automotive performance events.

Yeah, when I have a new "nice" vehicle it could be nice to get it on the track once or twice to stretch it out and see what it can do, but for competition I want something that I can abuse without worry.

Get a Mazda3 if you want to do autocross. Same engine and transmission, but lower weight and lower height.

Most places forbid SUVs.

I think the SCCA rule book talks about how to measure and calculate the stability factor. I doubt it would be legal.

As they say, RTM.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012GCR-updatedJuly1.pdf
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_May.pdf

I'm sure you could eventually find a club that would let you auto-x your CX-5 but I wouldn't count on it. Even most small independent auto-x clubs defer to the SCCA in regards to safety matters. As the CX-5 is not classified by the SCCA, you are at the mercy of the their Solo Rules Section 3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES.

According to Mazda's own marketing materials, the Mazda CX-5 has an overall height of 67.3 in. and the average track width is 62.45 in. Comparing these values to the chart in the Solo Rules Section 3.1, the Mazda CX-5 clearly falls outside the acceptable range for estimated static stability factor, and it would therefore be excluded from participating. As NHTSA has not yet performed NCAP testing on the CX-5, there are no published "Risk of Rollover" ratings for someone to provide to the SCCA Regional Officials and Technical Inspectors as an alternative to the SSF.

Personally, I wouldn't want to participate in an event where the organizers are so laissez-faire about safety that they would allow a CX-5 to compete. If they don't see the inherent risk and liability of allowing a CX-5 to participate, what else are the organizers missing? While you can induce almost any vehicle to rollover, it is obvious that high center of gravity vehicles with low static stability factors have a much higher rollover risk, and that risk is unacceptable for the event organizers. A single rollover crash at an auto-x may be enough to destroy that club's vitality due to insurance, loss of venue, etc.

Back