Aftermarket HID kit installation

milkyxj

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD
I put in my DDM Tuning 5000k HID kits today, did the low beams and the fog lights. Here is a guide for anyone else wanting to do it. Install took about an hour for both sets. Do the passenger side headlight first, it's easier. On the headlight bulb wires, the green is positive so match it to the red on the wiring harness.

Tools Needed:
HID kit (I two of these http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit)
Double sided mounting tape
Zip Ties
Phillips Head Screwdriver

Kit laid out on the table with bulbs and ballasts
IMG_20120706_153708.jpg
attachment.php

Remove the white plastic ring but leave the orange one
IMG_20120706_161544.jpg
attachment.php

Access bulb next to windshield washer filler
IMG_20120706_154052.jpg
attachment.php

Driver's side with ballast mounted. Access bulb through the area in the picture. Ballast mounted with double sided tape.
IMG_20120706_161316.jpg
attachment.php

Last edited:
Continued

Passenger side HID ballast mounted
IMG_20120706_161327.jpg
attachment.php

Access fog light bulbs here. Take out the 4 screws and pull down to access. Same on the other side.
IMG_20120706_163710.jpg
attachment.php

HID bulb mounted in fog light housing
IMG_20120706_162919.jpg
attachment.php

Driver side fog light ballast mounted. Used double sided tape and a zip tie. Mounted to the same spot on the passenger side.
IMG_20120706_163525.jpg
attachment.php

Finished product in daylight.
IMG_20120706_164756.jpg
attachment.php

Last edited:
is this on a car with the halogens or with the xenons? (with tech package or without tech packcage)???

The car is without tech package. Here are some night time pictures. Bulbs are 5000k, the biggest difference I see with the fogs on is off to the sides but the low beams are a huge upgrade. I plan to drive with just low beams on highways.

Low beams only
IMG_20120706_221209.jpg
attachment.php

Low beams and fogs
IMG_20120706_221222.jpg
attachment.php

Low beams and fogs and high beams
IMG_20120706_221231.jpg
attachment.php

Low beams and fogs from about driver's eye level
IMG_20120706_221314.jpg
attachment.php

Last edited:
Oh ok me too.. i already got my DDM 8000k hid kit for the low beams in the mail today (havent installed it yet). Do u think it is worth the time and money for the fog lights too? I want to do fog lights too but is it really worth it in your opinion?

Its not about the $54 ... Its about is it really worth unscrewing the bottom on both sides and installing and mounting and all? Is it harder to install than low beams? Or easier?

The fogs are easier to do than the headlights because you can see up into the bumper and see what you're doing. It's only 4 screws to remove, really easy. I ordered mine with my headlights so was $84 to do both sets.

Oh ok. Did u disconnect the battery before doing all this installation?

What about this that bushidoboy said in your other thread???

"HID wont fit in the fogs
The fog lights have a metal deflector inside them, so the HID bulb wont fit properly (the HID bulb is about 1/4" longer than the H11). I debated to take apart the fog and remove the deflector...then figured it be cleaner and easier to just put yellow H11 bulbs in the fogs. If they make special short HID bulbs for this issue then let me know."

Is this true or did yours fit fine? Im in the United States and so is bushidoboy... Are u in the U.S.???

I was wondering the same thing with the fogs. You didn't have any issues installing them?

The pics look really good, and doesn't look like there is any blue. How does it look in person? Is it pure white, or any blueish tint to them? I can't decide if I want the 4500 or 5000k. I don't want it to look like a ricer.

I did not disconnect the battery during my install but it would be safer to do so. The fogs fit fine, I was worried about it after reading his post but the DDM bulbs are the same length as the OEM bulbs. The 5000k color is slightly bluish, almost like a factory Acura bulb. In my opinion the 6000k would be too blue.

Okay i should be installing my low beams on monday and i will post some pics. Just ordered another slim kit for the fogs so whenever those come in i will install

What about this that bushidoboy said in your other thread???

"HID wont fit in the fogs
The fog lights have a metal deflector inside them, so the HID bulb wont fit properly (the HID bulb is about 1/4" longer than the H11). I debated to take apart the fog and remove the deflector...then figured it be cleaner and easier to just put yellow H11 bulbs in the fogs. If they make special short HID bulbs for this issue then let me know."

Is this true or did yours fit fine? Im in the United States and so is bushidoboy... Are u in the U.S.???

If you get your fogs retroed they will fit.
Here is a gallery of retro fogs.
http://hidillusionz.blogspot.com/search/label/SHOWCASE · FOGLIGHT RETROFIT

Also, here's a pic I found on HIDPLANET

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...d-fail-gallery&p=381771&viewfull=1#post381771

I'm sure my posts will be disregarded because a retro is too expensive and it's easier to buy ebay BS that will die in a few months and blind everybody.

Milkyxj installed ddm hid kit on the fogs and it fit fine no problem so i dont think its that big of a deal

HID videos

Milkyxj installed ddm hid kit on the fogs and it fit fine no problem so i dont think its that big of a deal

Without a retro the HID bulbs in a halogen reflector don't distribute the light like they would with a projector. The little shield inside our fog housing helps alot with the glare. Here is a video of me driving by my house with the fogs on and one with them off so you can judge if they're too bright in the halogen housing. The bulbs are 5000k in color and don't look as blue in person as they do in the video.

Without fog lights

Last edited:
My only question is that the ddm hid kit bulbs will fit and work properly in the mazda oem housing right????

Both videos look exactly the same.

Sorry, somehow it put up the same video twice. Should be fixed now. Mike, the DDM H11 bulb fits into the fog lights with no modifications, it is the same length as the OEM bulb and works fine.

Back