Black nose piece

Keanman

:
2013 CX-5 GX FWD (Touring)
Anybody else notice the black nose piece looks out of place on anything other than black or white? It should be chrome or body color. Not only that, it is recessed a bit which makes me think there should be something covering it.

I'm hoping there's going to be an insert or something released OEM or AM to change this.

I think it's pretty carefully integrated into front end design (and the shiny black color works with the black mesh of grill and complements the shape of the grill as a whole), chrome or body color was not chosen by Mazda because it would not look right.

Take a look at some of the concepts for the cx 5. They had chrome in the front.

Yes, but not best and final "concept". mazda-minagi-cx5-concept.jpg

I think it looks fine. Chrome would be obnoxious, and painting it the body color would make it appear to cut the emblem in half. You could paint yours if you don't like it.

True. That concept looks hot btw. Love the line in the headlight.
Had they kept it, would be a perfect spot for led DRLs.

Love this car. Can't wait to see what the rest of the line up will look like with the new design language.

I like that feature on the other colors, think it makes the front end of the car, first thing that I noticed. Pretty much a certain thing that someone will come out with a chrome cover for that piece, not my style. Look on eBay, that stuff is already starting. Someone has little chrome pieces for that now, looks like a chrome mustache. (eek2)

True. That concept looks hot btw. Love the line in the headlight.
Had they kept it, would be a perfect spot for led DRLs.

The "wing" does carry into the headlights, just doesn't seem as prominent as the concept. I'd have to say that turning that character line into LED DRL's would be an awesome DIY project. Anyone want to try it out?? :)

I guess it must just be me. That concept pic just pointed out to me what I don't like about the nose piece. It doesn't match the molding around the trim like it does on that concept. The lone piece of gloss black looks out of place on my vehicle. It fits in perfectly with the concept because the body molding is also gloss. At least now I understand why the piece is there.

As for it being chrome or body color looking weird, I somehow doubt that. The last 7+ years of Mazdas had that same piece chrome or body color and they look perfectly fine. They all do the same thing with the Mazda logo. Plus if it was chrome, it would make the little bit of existing chrome that you barely notice on the grill stand out more.

Edit: I did some looking around and while I can't find a full piece to cover the black, I think this looks pretty sharp.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
^ , No thanks, that extra stick-on chrome piece ruins the intended styling treatment with grill chrome sweeping into headlights.

It looks OK to me.

Attachments

• protector.JPG
    protector.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 313
Back