A place for the Garmin GPS

Hellcat6

:
2013 CX5 Touring, Zeal Red
Hi all,

I don't have my car yet, it is still "in transit" so maybe a couple of weeks yet. Decided against the GPS so I will be using my Garmin. Wondering where you all are mounting your GPS. Anyone using the cubby that is in front of the shifter, just under the center stack? I know there is a power outlet in there so it seems to make sense, maybe tilted slightly toward the driver. Not sure if it is big enough to take a GPS. Looking down could be an issue but I mostly use the verbal cues from the GPS. Anyone try it? Other ideas? Thanks!

I attach mine to the windshield using the suction that the Garmin comes in with. Could just be me but it does seem to fall off quite regularly (though not frequently), especially the longer I'm in the car. I'm thinking it's due to the angle of the windshield. Anyone else experience this?

I suppose the dash works too but I prefer being able to see everything in the dash while driving.

This past weekend, I did use the cubby in front of the shifter to prop up my Garmin. It fit pretty snuggly when I placed it at an angle towards me. However, it did become dislodged once when I went over a bump or made a sharp turn, but most of the times, it stayed in place. Another drawback is that it is not in the best place for a quick glance since it is so low. I've used the suction cup holder in the past, but it is a pain to attach and then detach and hide when getting out of the car. I also try to wipe away the circle left by the suction cup on the glass since that's also a dead giveaway to thieves, so it's a bit of an inconvenience. I have seen another gps holder that is basically a weighted bean bag that you place on the dashboard and has the same attachment mechanism as the suction cup holder, but just the weight and friction of the bean bag keeps the gps from sliding off the dashboard (in normal driving conditions). I might get that if the cubby-prop method doesn't work out.

P.S. I have the 1490 with a 5" screen, so if yours is larger or smaller, it will fit differently in the cubby.

Last edited:
Do thieves really want gps devices anymore? I just leave our mounts on the window 24x7 but then again i dont live in the ghetto.

Do thieves really want gps devices anymore? I just leave our mounts on the window 24x7 but then again i dont live in the ghetto.

How nice that you live in UtopiaVille. For the rest of us, all it takes is some bored kids to decide that maybe they can get $20 on eBay for that nice GPS unit left out in plain sight to ruin our day (and car window/door).

Thanks everyone for the comments. Hooked, thanks, those were pretty much my thoughts on putting the GPS there. I like the idea of that spot as maybe I could get away with leaving it there, not as obvious as the dash or glass mount. The mount shown by Wheelie is an interesting alternative that I will look into. Anyone have any experience with the bean bag mounts in this car? Guess my concern would be does it really stay there in normal driving, would be fairly easy to pull it down and stash it someplace quick when parking.

I have a bean bag Garmin I used in my prior car and use in my second car and have been suprised how well it stays in place in normal driving. That said when I get down on the Corvette it goes flying. I got the Tom Tom in the CX-5 so have not tried it but I think it will work OK.

this works very well for me, mounts into the cd player slot. who uses cds anymore anyways?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

41627WqW8dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

this works very well for me, mounts into the cd player slot. who uses cds anymore anyways?

Wow this is great, thanks for sharing. I'll definitely have to look into this. A few questions:
-Does this damage your CD player in any way?
-How easy is it to mount/dismount, assuming you put your GPS away when you're parked?
-Related question: do you mount/dismount the entire mount, or only the GPS?
-I have a Garmin in which the charger connects through the back, as opposed to the sides (model is Nuvi 1450). Will this be a problem at all when attaching it to the mount?

Would appreciate any answers. Thanks in advance.

I was going to get one of those instead of the $40 droid 4 oem window mount when I got my new phone (because moto cant keep their docks the same from model to model (old phone was droid 2))but decided against it because there is no way to get it so it doesnt cover the screen. That screw thing will get in the way. Do you have a photo of it in your car?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments. Hooked, thanks, those were pretty much my thoughts on putting the GPS there. I like the idea of that spot as maybe I could get away with leaving it there, not as obvious as the dash or glass mount. The mount shown by Wheelie is an interesting alternative that I will look into. Anyone have any experience with the bean bag mounts in this car? Guess my concern would be does it really stay there in normal driving, would be fairly easy to pull it down and stash it someplace quick when parking.

My parents use the bean bag mount for their garmin and it stays put pretty well. Additionally, the CX-5's dash has a slight rubbery texture so that should help also.

I picked up one of those CD mounts,..... works well, and does open just wide enough for the Magellan 1700 model GPS (big screen)

pic:

Attachments

• GPS mount sm.JPG
    GPS mount sm.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 211
Back