Washing the insides of the grill

GreyRhino

:
2013 CX-5 FWD GT w/o Tech
After returning from a 2-hour evening drive through the countryside in which bugs were constantly getting splattered across my windshield (I was going at approx. 50-60 mph), I took a peek inside my grill and found dozens of bug corpses fried onto it. Took the car to the wash the next morning hoping that it would wash away the grime, but unfortunately, wasn't much of a success.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to wash out this area? I'm no car expert which is why I ask, but is it okay to spray a hose directly into that area (basically shooting the water horizontally into the grill), or will it damage the car in any way?

Any advice or sharing of first-hand experience would be appreciated.

While the engine is cool and using a gentle stream of water, no hose attachments... would do the car wonders. Periodically cleaning out the fins will help the engine cooling system as well as the AC system. Do not poke the radiator or mess up the fins but flowing cool water to flush out loose debris will be just fine.

Or just run through a touchless carwash. I have a cheap $3 one by me that I run through once a week.

Spraying water through the front is perfectly fine as long as you don't use a power washer. Keep the fins clean for better cooling. There's also a tool made for straightening bent fins.

Spraying water through the front is perfectly fine as long as you don't use a power washer. Keep the fins clean for better cooling. There's also a tool made for straightening bent fins.

Thanks for the info. Having multiple fried bugs on my radiator has been bothering me for a while. Probably normal and unavoidable, but still.

What will happen if i use a power washer/ spray-jet to clean the front grills? Can it damage the radiator grills? Sorry not really experienced in detailed car washing..

What will happen if i use a power washer/ spray-jet to clean the front grills? Can it damage the radiator grills? Sorry not really experienced in detailed car washing..

It can force the debris further into the cooling fins, jamming it full of crud. It can very easily fold the fins over, rendering them far less effective, and it could even break small thin cooling tubes/lines in between the fins if too much pressure is applied or a seam/weakness is exploited with the pressure.

It can force the debris further into the cooling fins, jamming it full of crud. It can very easily fold the fins over, rendering them far less effective, and it could even break small thin cooling tubes/lines in between the fins if too much pressure is applied or a seam/weakness is exploited with the pressure.

ok. Now i get it. Thks for the info yetti96..

Back