Review after 3 days

Velodog2

:
Cx5 touring
I have the Touring AWD with Tech. It wasn't necessarily the car I wanted, but after looking at everything else out there, and my wallet, and needs (AWD, cargo capacity, better than average reliability), it was the car I got because it represented the best compromise I could find. I talked a bit in the "What other cars did you consider" thread about the CRV and Tiguan and won't repeat that story here.

Anyway, my test drive impressions have mostly stuck with me, and echo what is obvious to everyone else - the handling is good, period. Not just for a SUV, but for any car. Let's not get crazy - it's not a sports car, and I'll repeat here what I said in the other thread that I though the Tiguan was better - but it has a great balance and road feel, and the seating position, seats, and steering wheel are almost as good as you can get within reason. I love this about Mazda because it was something any company could have achieved, if they'd made the effort, except they didn't. Things like this don't necessarily cost more to manufacture. Overall, the styling, handling, and build quality is very mid-range "Japanese" which I won't try too much to describe except to say that none of it could easily be mistaken for a German vehicle.

There is lots of tech - on mine at least - much of which is more along the line of being gizmos than things that add meaningfully to the actual driving experience, for me at least. In some ways all these toys cheapen the experience. Again this is just my perception and some things, like the bixenons, are awesome. I wish some of the money spent on these gizmos had gone into better build material quality, or maybe a lockable transaxle if that's even possible on a vehicle like this. The quality of some of the "features" seems compromised excessively as well: the moonroof is tiny and so far back it's hard to even see from the front seat, the Bose sound system is fairly meh for a decent vehicle these days (even when compared to other vehicle Bose systems I've owned), and the navigation system interface is annoying as hell and not worth even bothering with for someone used to what's available on smartphones. Unfortunately I paid for these things, some of which were necessary to get to the bixenons.

I'm "getting" the whole Skyactiv idea finally. Beyond the engine mods, the weight savings acheivements are amazing, as this area has already been worked and worked and worked by the best engineers in the world for literally decades. So to make significant strides is, again, amazing. The minor documented issues like hood and mirror shake are probably the result of these weight savings efforts, but to push the envelope risks had to be taken and compromises accepted that before had always been rejected. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but I suspect that some part of the handling excellence and my ability to sometimes forget I'm driving a little SUV are due to these weight reductions, and maybe chassis stiffening that went along with them.

I finally figured out that the engine reminds me of the Honda engines from the eighties and nineties - underpowered but willing and eager to try anyway. And in fact the whole driving experience is more like my beloved old Si Civic hatchbacks than anything else I've driven since. Those cars, and this car, were fun as long as you were willing to whip them like a rented mule. So that's what I've been doing. The Civics didn't mind being whipped and hopefully the CX-5 won't either. They were manuals which made them easier and a little more fun to whip, but I plan to learn the ways of the manumatic shortly. In some ways this overall driving experience makes the CX-5 seem a little behind the times, but maybe that's not all bad.

thank you for taking your time to post your experience. I hope you'll have a great experience with your purchase, as I have with mine. Have a great week.

Good post. Real reasonable comments. Have not seen too many Maryland folks on here. What dealer did you buy from and how was your experience with them?

Our 2007 Altima had hood shake. The hoods on these cars are very lightweight aluminum.. and I'm pretty sure the hood on our CX5 is the same. It never bothered me at all. I never noticed it much unless I concentrated on it while driving...

I'm enjoying my 5. Thanks for tje writeup

Thanks everyone, I enjoyed writing it. I expected a little more push back on some of the more negative comments, some of which I'm not even sure were completely justified. Incidentally, if you want to see an area where they took some weight saving measures poke around under the dash and carpet on the passenger side ... just sayin' ...

Good post. Real reasonable comments. Have not seen too many Maryland folks on here. What dealer did you buy from and how was your experience with them?

I ended up buying from Fitzgerald in Frederick. They were ok I guess, given the bizarro circumstances I encountered. When they went to value my trade, the car wouldn't start. I suspect the fuel pump, which had blown a fuse a month earlier, finally died. I was stuck, and got $2000 less for it than I had been offered at other places, where it was of course still a self-powered car. The fact that they still gave me $3100 for an old car that wouldn't run is probably a plus on their side, and that they were all quite cordial through the stressful situation another (for me, and them, as it was 104 degrees outside while we were all trying to get the thing to start) . This was ultimately the reason I did not get the Tiguan, which was already a little pricey for my budget, and with sketchier reliability prospects.

The only real complaint I would register against them is that on my first visit they made it clear that the prices posted on the internet were their final prices, which was ok as they seemed reasonable, but when I came back to buy I found out that if I wanted to take advantage of the 0% financing on the Tiguan that 'final price' would increase by $1,000. This is apparently a typical mfr offer (0% or $1,000 off) which I'm not familiar with as I haven't bought a car new since 1984, but there was no mention that this $1,000 bonus was already incorporated in the price on the website and I felt a little manipulated. No matter in the end, but the first nail in the coffin of the Tiguan.

Edit: Out of curiosity I checked their web prices again today, the day after the 0% or $1000 offer ended, and they haven't changed. So now they are either clearly misrepresenting themselves, mislead me, haven't updated their website, or whatever else may be causing this fishy smell in here. All irrelevant now, but I guess this pricing confusion is part of my "experience with them".

Last edited:
Thanks for the dealer info. Fredrick is a little out of my way. I am north of Baltimore and the Towson location of one of the three Heritage Mazda dealers is not too far from me. I pass it just about every day so I can keep up on their inventory. They post some decent Internet Prices, usually around $1300 below MRSP, but the fine print, in addition to tax, tag, title, and $199 processing says they have a Destination Charge. Not sure what that is since the Total MRSP already includes a Destination Fee. Anyone have experience with this? Haven't had the chance yet to actually ask someone there what the Charge is.

Reasonable review, thanks.

Not sure about the vague build quality concerns. I currently own Lexus and Mercedes and find they have slightly better build quality at a much higher price.

But comparing Civics (or Benzes, Lexuses) to a compact awd SUV, not very comparable.

Not sure about the gizmos concerns, I find the tech included w/GT tech package to be competitive.

Not sure about the behind the times concerns. CX-5 is more a sign of the times, showing the technology to get best in SUV class gas mileage. It's selling very well as a result.

Last edited:
Reasonable review, thanks.

Not sure about the vague build quality concerns. I currently own Lexus and Mercedes and find they have slightly better build quality at a much higher price.

But comparing Civics (or Benzes, Lexuses) to a compact awd SUV, not very comparable.

Not sure about the gizmos concerns, I find the tech included w/GT tech package to be competitive.

Not sure about the behind the times concerns. CX-5 is more a sign of the times, showing the technology to get best in SUV class gas mileage. It's selling very well as a result.

My issue was with build MATERIAL quality, not build quality, if I am interpreting you correctly. A lot of the plastic trim on both the inside and the outside could be better quality. No problems with the build quality and have yet to find a flaw.

The tech is quite competitive, and I understand in a "check the box" culture where we compare things by their feature list that this is important. I am saying that I would personally trade some of the marginally useful "tech" like push button start, or rain sensing wipers, or auto-dimming mirror, etc. for better materials, or a lockable transaxle, or a sport mode in the transmission for example. It's also possible I didn't get the most appropriate trim level/packages for me - but it ended up being a bit of a forced decision.

I edited out some comments that would have paralleled yours concerning the CX-5 being behind the times, or a sign of the times, or both. Something like "what's old is new again". Light, (semi)tossable, underpowered vehicles with emphasis on efficiency while salvaging the fun-factor are what resulted from gas shortages in the seventies, and higher gas prices and (hopefully) concerns for the environment in the 10's. The basic formula still works, and an old civic Si is what driving the CX-5 reminds me of. This time around it's an SUV with AWD instead of a hatch because that's what a lot of pple expect their vehicles to be these days.

Last edited:
Velodog2 - Thanks for the clarifications.

It's no wonder I thought you meant build quality when you used the words "build quality". I find the plastic trim to be typical of this price range vehicle, but not as nice as Lexus.

I see what you are saying about tech content. For me the GT was only way to go, I like the goodies (except nav voice command which is crappy) and I'm used to them in other cars.

Good points about SUV versus hatchback, the compact SUV market is considered high growth.

I am saying that I would personally trade some of the marginally useful "tech" like push button start, or rain sensing wipers, or auto-dimming mirror, etc. for better materials, or a lockable transaxle, or a sport mode in the transmission for example. .

I agree! I'm not lazy enough to require the need for auto headlights, auto dimming mirror, or auto wipers. I can turn the dial myself that's located 2" away from where my hand already is. Unfortunately, the demographic for people who buy these cars are a bunch of pussified dads and soccer moms who wouldn't know the difference between a transmission and a trasvestite.

I'd love to see mazda get rid of these items if they would made the car RWD! That would be amazing, especially with the diesel!

I agree! I'm not lazy enough to require the need for auto headlights, auto dimming mirror, or auto wipers. I can turn the dial myself that's located 2" away from where my hand already is. Unfortunately, the demographic for people who buy these cars are a bunch of pussified dads and soccer moms who wouldn't know the difference between a transmission and a trasvestite. I'd love to see mazda get rid of these items if they would made the car RWD! That would be amazing, especially with the diesel!

Very little Mazda CX-5 content here, and I doubt your assessment of loaded CX-5 buyer demographics is accurate, although I guess it's expected... Diesel would be nice.

Very little Mazda CX-5 content here, and I doubt your assessment of loaded CX-5 buyer demographics is accurate, although I guess it's expected... Diesel would be nice.

Uh, the whole point involved the mazda and their packaging.

The demo I depicted was the entire CUV market, including "fully loaded" CX5.
Do you think the demo for a "fully loaded" CX5 is drastically different than a base model?

Uh, the whole point involved the mazda and their packaging.

The demo I depicted was the entire CUV market, including "fully loaded" CX5.
Do you think the demo for a "fully loaded" CX5 is drastically different than a base model?

Uhh, missed the demo with "pussified dads and soccer moms who wouldn't know the difference between a transmission and a trasvestite". Sounds like booze or substances are needed to appreciate your demo or get the whole point, lol...

Uhh, missed the demo with "pussified dads and soccer moms who wouldn't know the difference between a transmission and a trasvestite". Sounds like booze or substances are needed to appreciate your demo or get the whole point, lol...

Ok, I'll break it down. No drugs needed.

Unlike the old days, where guys did "man stuff", and they were cool for knowing their way around a car, and if they didn't they were mocked and laughed at, nowadays guys don't even know how to change a spare tire, or change their oil, (thats where the pussified statement comes into play) and women want something thats safe to strap their kid into using gear that would rival what Buzz Aldren used when he blasted into space. So when they're shopping for cars, ESPECIALLY A CUV, things like blind spot detection gets more points than a limited slip diff, or if the car has a 50/50 weight balance.

Can't blame Mazda, its just the 99% of people who are the "demo" don't know, or don't care.

Last edited:
^, Some breakdown (or flashback maybe), in more ways then one, lol.

And now back to the CX-5, thankfully.

^, Some breakdown (or flashback maybe), in more ways then one, lol.

And now back to the CX-5, thankfully.

flashback? To what? 1997? LOL Hardly.

To the OP: sorry for hijacking your thread. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Ok, I'll break it down. No drugs needed.

Unlike the old days, where guys did "man stuff", and they were cool for knowing their way around a car, and if they didn't they were mocked and laughed at, nowadays guys don't even know how to change a spare tire, or change their oil, (thats where the pussified statement comes into play) and women want something thats safe to strap their kid into using gear that would rival what Buzz Aldren used when he blasted into space. So when they're shopping for cars, ESPECIALLY A CUV, things like blind spot detection gets more points than a limited slip diff, or if the car has a 50/50 weight balance.

Can't blame Mazda, its just the 99% of people who are the "demo" don't know, or don't care.

Lol, I gots to admit I like this post. Dead on.

And oh yeah, that blind spot detection. Oi. In the city it was beeping constantly as I was working through traffic until I remembered the blessed off button. Glad I paid for the off button. Would pay extra for two in case the first one fails.

flag.JPG

To the OP: Sorry for diversion.

Enjoy the new CX-5 on July 4th!

And speaking of weight distribution I noticed this afternoon that Mazda put the battery in the rear of the engine compartment. Who else would worry about weight distribution in a CUV but Mazda?

Back