PDA

View Full Version : Things we love about our CX-5's

nyctravis
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm starting this thread as an antidote to the complaint thread. :)

What do you love about your CX-5? Here are some of mine:

Great value/price
Excellent mpg
Sporty design
Great handling
Top IIHS ratings
Mazda's high reliability ratings

plemieux
07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Great price
Great MPG
Sporty design
Top IIHS ratings
Touchscreen w/ HD&Nav
It can tow
AC so good it blows snow
TPMS/BSM
Backup Camera
Push button start

Gio26NJ
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
2013 model as opposed to buying 2012
Very well designed Exterior absolute beauty, not girly like Rogue, not for the elderly like CRV
Comfortable Stylish Leather interior
Easy to use Advanced Keyless Entry (just walk away and everything locks and alarm is set)
Tom Tom Navigation (I'm a longtime TomTom user so this was nochange for me)
Push Button Start
Rear View Camera (Standard!)
High Crash Safety ratings
Bi-Xenon HID with Adaptive Front Lighting (I absolutely love this feature)
Full Power Heated seats for the cold winters
Sunglasses holder (my wife loves this of all things lol)
Dash layout and Speedometer layout is very stylish
19" wheels that really stand out and make the CX-5 look like a beast

nyctravis
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Great price
AC so good it blows snow

Ha! This is a good one. I've been loving this the last few days too :)

Macksma
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree on the AC, I had some friends in the car the other day and when I turned on the AC one said, 'well, your AC certainly works'!

joepro
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM
My wife loves the AC on this car. It used to blow on my 2004 3 and wasn't all that great on our honda civic.

Jonesey
07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
*Non-Hybrid Rev-happy engine combined with tight handling
*Six speed MT
*I can actually USE the entire powerband on real roads (too many cars are overpowered for the real world)
*Excellent compromise of available power and mpg (so many big engines have rarely used HP in spades but b/c of of big displacement they are so thirsty)

Vorret
07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Seriously lol'ed at all the AC comments :)

Vorret
07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
It can tow

Have you tried towing something with it? I'm curiousy cause some people had concern that it couldn't pull off what it advertised it could do.

War Eagle Mazda
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
living in FL...the AC rocks. the 3 that I had (2008) had the "known" issue of the AC dying when traveling at high speeds in high temp...it just froze. Typically only happened in 3+ hr of driving with 95+ Temps...the "best" time to not have AC...anyway..

handling
MPG
safety
BSM/Rear Camera
space
looks
MPG (did I already put this one in?)
comfort (AC, Seats, Everything)
the "what kind of car is that" effect...

honestly, I thought I'd never get rid of the 3's....loved them. but when I saw this with BETTER gas mileage than my 08, I could finally get a car that had space and didn't chug gas.

now I just need a "fun" car for the weekends...perhaps I can convince my insurer that I'm not joking when I ask about Speed3's...

plemieux
07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Have you tried towing something with it? I'm curiousy cause some people had concern that it couldn't pull off what it advertised it could do.

I tow my jet ski to and from the lake. Jet ski is 450 lbs and the trailer is like 250 or 300 lbs. So total is 700-750 lbs. Tow rating is 2000 lbs. It tows it fine. I don't even notice it's there. (as far as braking and acceleration are concerned)

Jcanracer
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Awesome Handling: my last Toyota had to be upgraded to do the things the CX5 does stock, like comfortably taking off-ramps at 20mph higher than the suggested speeds.
Awesome Braking: absolutely confidence inspiring the way this thing brakes smoothly and in short distances.
Skyactiv Engine: its an absolute gem, forget what the magazine reviews say, with the 6spd manual the engine's power band is usable and comfortable for any driving situation short of a racetrack, and the mileage is exceptional in a car this size without an expensive & heavy hybrid system.

emoassnolan
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Very well designed Exterior absolute beauty, not girly like Rogue, not for the elderly like CRV

Haha...this is the exact reason I picked this car. Also considered the Subaru Forester, but it doesn't look as good and feels soo technologically outdated.

I tow my jet ski to and from the lake. Jet ski is 450 lbs and the trailer is like 250 or 300 lbs. So total is 700-750 lbs. Tow rating is 2000 lbs. It tows it fine. I don't even notice it's there. (as far as braking and acceleration are concerned)

This is really good to know...

EricF
07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Excellent maneuverability/turning radius.
MPG
Clean interior
Great use of space
Handling ability
Looks better than anything else in this segment IMO
Good bang for the buck

CX-SV
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
MPG - best in class mileage for awd compact SUV
Value-competitive/attractive price
Handling/ride combo
Auto tranny w/BMW-like manual mode
Near premium car-like leather interior
Near premium car-like lux features
Styling-both exterior and interior well above average for this class
Reliability (zero defects in first 5000 miles)

Kelme
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Is not a Toyota
Great MPG (32mpg average with the first two tanks)
Simple interior (I donít need to pull out the Owners Manual to figure out how to setup the radio or the A/C)
Great price considering all the features it came with
And of course great handling.

EricF
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Is not a Toyota

I have a Toyota and in many ways prefer driving it over the CX.

drsw
07-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I love this car. It has a fabulous manual shifter! Love the handling, love the gas economy and the space. It is a very easy car to use. My hubby is jealous!

edwardzik
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Not many of them on a roads
Mpg (87 gas)
seats
dashboard
6speed m/t

safoo
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
+1 @ Not many of them on a roads. I haven't seen another one on the road yet.
Great MPG
Uses 87 Gas
Love the minimal interior & dash
Seats are comfortable and supportive
Price was reasonable
Like the aggressive design - doesn't feel outdated
Love having a 2013 car

speedtrader
07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
The rear cargo cover attaches to the liftgate so it's up and out of the way when loading.

Keanman
07-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Turns heads - I see people doing double takes and staring constantly.
Fuel Economy - It isn't even broken in yet and it's on par with my old 3.
High body molding - Should be great for preventing chips and rust.
Drives like a car.
Retractable cargo cover is extremely functional.
The AT transmission down shifts very well to decrease speed when descending steep hills.

dsonyay62
07-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Ha! This is a good one. I've been loving this the last few days too :)

AGREED. I live in the New Orleans area (Slidell) and I'm very impressed with the A/C. The deeply tinted glass from the rear doors to rear hatch help out too. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned where I have to adjust the temp to a "warmer" setting after the inside cools down. Impressive.

dsonyay62
07-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Xenon lights are excellent.
Privacy glass
Seats (cloth) are very comfortable
Bose stereo sounds great (especially with CDs)
MPG rating is not hype.
Tom Tom is easy to use and the display is excellent.
Terrific handling and ride quality... far better than our older CRV.
Athletic body style.
Auto tranny shifts excellent.
AC is excellent... in southern La this is very important.
Rear seating. Very roomy.

mobd
07-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Agree with all your posts....

I really, really love the lights and warning thing on the side mirrors ~ blind spot warnings, I guess that's what they are called. Love them!

PurplMyst
07-06-2012, 05:26 PM
MPG (that's the reason I first started looking at it)
6-speed manual transmission
Safety ratings
USB port that connects to the radio is hidden in the center armrest.
Radio & info controls mounted on the steering wheel (this is totally new for me)

I love that my CX5 is close in interior size as my much-loved Protege5, but I now sit higher up & don't cringe at every pothole I see.

nation845
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
The thing I like the most so far is that everything so far just seems to work out and work well.
- beautiful interior and exterior
- great mpg
- connected ipod in center console
- awesome BT streaming audio (my first car with this)
- great BT call quality
- best navi unit I've used (fast, easy to read, lots of options)
- cloth seats don't get so hot! (my first car without leather and I will try to never go back to leather)
- the AC is very nice (quieter than my last car, yet stronger and colder)

TheLoudHorn
07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
+ The sharp and crisp manual transmission, love it!
+ Exceptional handling and driver feeling, love it more!
+ KM/L or MPG as the yanks call it.
+ Xenon lights
+ Exterior is beautiful!
+ Space
+ That AC is just too cool (cool)
+ Color, that Met Grey is as cool as the AC!

- A bit unbalanced with blue lights in the dashboard, and red lights on the clock/ac/welcome lights/door insignia lights.
- Wind noise of the mirrors at high speeds
- The buttons on the steering wheel look and feel a little cheap.

elmarto
07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
After only a few days with mine, so I can't yet attest for MPG, but here goes:

1) The look. The first time I saw it in an ad or something I knew I had to get one. I always had 4+yr old cars before that one, so it was a first buying a new car. I guess you could call this love at first sight ;^)
2) Hands-free phone. Never had this before. Love it!
3) Sound system is really nice. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.
4) Seats are REALLY comfy
5) Wonderful handling.

Oh and that smell that can only come from a new car :^)

The only downside right now for me is I wish the satellite radio add-on wasn't so difficult to install :^(

CX-SV
07-17-2012, 10:47 PM
I have a Toyota and in many ways prefer driving it over the CX.

I've had 2 Toyotas and find the Mazda to be more fun to drive, therefore I prefer it.

His comment "because it's not a Toyota" I think means the Mazda is far less common and is unique compared to typical garden variety Toyotas everywhere.

EricF
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I've had 2 Toyotas and find the Mazda to be more fun to drive, therefore I prefer it.

Well, good for you.

I like them both for different reasons. The CX can do one thing better than my toyota. Get better gas mileage. And while its a tad more fun to drive on the street, my toyota is a hell of a lot more fun off road. And it can haul and tow a lot more (I'd LOVE to see a CX haul 4 quads to the dunes in Glamis!! hahaha), and the seats and seating position are better IMO. So, for me, they both serve their purpose.

Are there a lot of them? Sure, but it just means they built a great product... Just like mazda did with the CX. Pretty soon, the CX is going to be as common as a RAV4. I guess if you want something no one else on the block has, you can always get an Aztek. LOL

CX-SV
07-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Well, good for you.

Are there a lot of them? Sure, but it just means they built a great product... Just like mazda did with the CX. Pretty soon, the CX is going to be as common as a RAV4. I guess if you want something no one else on the block has, you can always get an Aztek. LOL

Thanks, it's very good for me.

Lol, I don't want a Azztec (even if they might become collectible lol) or a common Toyota. Btw, the Rav4 easily outsells the CX-5 by a 3 to 1 ratio, so no worry about CX becoming as common as the very common Rav4. Realistically, not happening.

Toyota builds quality vehicles. And I actually enjoy my premium Toyota (Lexus) product, it's a 306hp IS350 (sport package w19's, T1R's, f-sport lowering springs) and it's even more fun to drive than the CX-5! Nobody on my block has a IS350 or a CX-5, just lots of Toyotas and Mercedes.

mddriver
08-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Thought I'd bring back this thread since I just got my CX-5. Things I love after the first 200 miles:
- Styling - Its what brought me here in the first place. Then I found out about the ...
- MILEAGE - MILLEAGE - MILEAGE. Coming from a 12 year old PT Cruiser, geting almost 30 MPG is awesome and thats only about 40% highway miles.
- Metropolitan Gray - Struggled with what color to get, went from blue to red, thought about white and silver, but liked the way the gray works with the black trim and the Touring wheels, and the gray is sometimes green, sometimes blue, all depending upon the light.
- Back Up Camera - not something I was that excited about, but really like it.
- Same with the Blind Spot Monitors - great on the highway.
- Noise - its so quite at idle that my wife thought it had stalled when she stopped at a light.
- Basic Radio - sounds just fine to me. I always think it has a lot to do with speaker placement and the shape of the car. My wife's Saturn Outlook has the upgraded radio but sounds dead.
I'm sure there be more to like as the miles rack up. A few minor complaints, but I'll find that thread later.

V8toilet
08-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Love 35-36 MPG with disciplined driving and not just highway. Its easy to beat the EPA #'s
Awesome 6 speed transmission with manual like feel.
13-1 compression ratio with 87 octane fuel and Atkinson cycle abilities to save fuel during low load conditions.
Good for a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder low end torque so I can accelerate without revving it to get going. Its like the mini me of my old DOHC Toyota V8.
Light on its feet handling with no understeer, its actually neutral.
Confidence inspiring brakes with excellent feel.
Standard stability control that lets you have fun before reigning in..
The best power steering I have ever experienced. Is this really an SUV? Feels like a sports car on stilts.
Comfortable ride good for long distance driving.
Upscale looking interior especially given price point.
lots of standard equipment for the money.
Decent Am reception, most don't have that anymore. Almost as good as my 11 year old truck was.
Sharp good looking exterior.
Rear seats that actually fit people and cargo at the same time.
The best forward visibility of an SUV except maybe Subaru.
Highest fun to drive factor of any SUV for the money.

Macksma
08-11-2012, 05:43 PM
I will admit that everyday at some point while I'm driving I think, 'I really like this car'.

CX-SV
08-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I will admit that everyday at some point while I'm driving I think, 'I really like this car'.

Same here.

ReManG
09-09-2012, 12:06 PM

I will second this ^

If I were Homer Simpson, this car would be a drivable donut.....mmmmmmmmmmm

CX-SV
09-09-2012, 12:41 PM
8K miles / 6 months since purchased, I can say this car is amazing. I'm very finicky too.

katmar
09-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Metropolitan Gray... and the gray is sometimes green, sometimes blue, all depending upon the light.

I love that too, I keep joking about it being a chameleon, lol.

A couple other delights that surprised me:

1) That little burst of acceleration you get pulling out from a stoplight, even when barely touching the throttle. After all the "it's underpowered!" reviews, that really surprised me. It makes urban driving so much easier! I'm constantly zooming ahead of everyone else at stoplights even though I'm not trying to be racy or anything.

2) The swivel headlights are fantastic. I feared they'd be a gimmick, but they're actually super handy when you're all alone on a twisty country road at night, as you can see into the bends (and see deer) much easier.

3) The AWD isn't just for possible snow, it's actually also great when pulling out from wet or messy dirt/silt-covered intersections. No need to think about balancing wheelspin or anything, you can just mash the pedal (if needed) and it just goes.

4) The transmission is a delight. I wasn't sure about it at first, it seemed rather finicky about giving up 6th gear. But either it adjusted to me or vice-versa, because we get along just fine now. I once thought I might end up using the manual mode a lot, but I now I don't feel any need to (except maybe in snow, etc.).

5) The power overall is more than I'd expected. Maybe the reviews just had my expectations low, but I'm finding it to be fun and zippy both when fighting my way through urban craziness and enjoying winding country roads.

It's only my one-week anniversary, but I'm lovin' it more and more every day :)

sdpadsfan
09-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I love that too, I keep joking about it being a chameleon, lol.

A couple other delights that surprised me:

1) That little burst of acceleration you get pulling out from a stoplight, even when barely touching the throttle. After all the "it's underpowered!" reviews, that really surprised me. It makes urban driving so much easier! I'm constantly zooming ahead of everyone else at stoplights even though I'm not trying to be racy or anything.

2) The swivel headlights are fantastic. I feared they'd be a gimmick, but they're actually super handy when you're all alone on a twisty country road at night, as you can see into the bends (and see deer) much easier.

3) The AWD isn't just for possible snow, it's actually also great when pulling out from wet or messy dirt/silt-covered intersections. No need to think about balancing wheelspin or anything, you can just mash the pedal (if needed) and it just goes.

4) The transmission is a delight. I wasn't sure about it at first, it seemed rather finicky about giving up 6th gear. But either it adjusted to me or vice-versa, because we get along just fine now. I once thought I might end up using the manual mode a lot, but I now I don't feel any need to (except maybe in snow, etc.).

5) The power overall is more than I'd expected. Maybe the reviews just had my expectations low, but I'm finding it to be fun and zippy both when fighting my way through urban craziness and enjoying winding country roads.

It's only my one-week anniversary, but I'm lovin' it more and more every day :)
I have a touring FWD so I don't know about the swivel lights or AWD, but I agree with everything else . . . especially #s 4 and 5. I have never before owned an automatic and was really nervous to purchase one, but this tranny is anything but a slush box. I always swore I would never buy a 4 banger with an auto yet I absolutely love my CX-5. My friends and family were shocked that I bought an automatic, but I have no regrets whatsoever!

Gio26NJ
09-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Just came back from a nice little trip and yes I friggin love this car.

CX-5um
09-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I have a touring FWD so I don't know about the swivel lights or AWD, but I agree with everything else . . . especially #s 4 and 5. I have never before owned an automatic and was really nervous to purchase one, but this tranny is anything but a slush box. I always swore I would never buy a 4 banger with an auto yet I absolutely love my CX-5. My friends and family were shocked that I bought an automatic, but I have no regrets whatsoever!

I also agree with #4 and #5. In city driving I don't even use the manual mode anymore since the Automatic is quite good in getting the car to sift through traffic/slower cars if needed. That and go Pads/Chargers!!

CX-SV
09-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I also agree with #4 and #5. In city driving I don't even use the manual mode anymore since the Automatic is quite good in getting the car to sift through traffic/slower cars if needed. That and go Pads/Chargers!!

The automatic does adapt well to sporty driver. When I use manual mode (not that often) it's usually for engine braking in hills/mountains.

katmar
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Lovin' the bottom-hinged accelerator pedal! Now that I have one, it seems like the "right" way to do it ;) This is such a "driver's car!"

I just passed 1,000 miles already, after only 2 weeks of ownership because I can't stop taking long, curvy routes home just for the fun of driving it ;)

CatButler
09-18-2012, 09:03 AM
It's funny about how everyone remarks about the AC, it's easily the coldest AC I have had in the last 20 years with the smallest engine. It's the only car I have ever had that I can't stand on the lowest setting. I've seen articles about the Skyactiv engine and transmission desgin, I want one about the AC, because it's awesome.

prhac
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
It's funny about how everyone remarks about the AC, it's easily the coldest AC I have had in the last 20 years with the smallest engine. It's the only car I have ever had that I can't stand on the lowest setting. I've seen articles about the Skyactiv engine and transmission desgin, I want one about the AC, because it's awesome.

It is excellent. My previous car was the VW Tiguan. The CX5 is much better at distributing the cold air. By that I mean, in the Tiguan you seemed to need a vent pointing directly at you so there was a direct 'breeze'. With the CX5 the cold air seems to permiate around the cabin - if that makes sense. I think it has better positioning of vents and the fan doesn't need to be as high.

Jcanracer
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Lovin' the bottom-hinged accelerator pedal! Now that I have one, it seems like the "right" way to do it ;) This is such a "driver's car!"

Gotta say I disagree with this. It makes heel-toe downshifting impossible for me, and that used to be one of my favorite things to practice on my previous car. Granted its not something I would do often, but I fear that I will lose this skill if this is the only manual car I drive for the next 5-6 years :(

Bclar
09-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Me to....5000 miles later and no defects or issues of any kind. Now if I could only find a remote start for this car??

katmar
09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm lovin' the compliments I keep getting about the car! So many people... coworkers, neighbors, total strangers... have commented on how pretty it is. Even people who have no idea it's a new car have felt compelled to ask what it is and comment on how much they like the look.

I'm surprised, I mean *I* certainly adore the car, but I kinda figured everyone else would see just another SUV and not pay it much attention. But it sure seems to be a bit of a celebrity :)

Zeal-Girl
09-22-2012, 01:46 AM
I agree Katmar... I returned to work after extended leave with my new car and have had constant questions and postive remarks about it, also a lot of looks and pointing from other cars.

What do I love abou my CX-5 (in no particular order):

- bi-xenon headlights that seem to peek around the corner.
- the discreet washer that washes the above headlights.
- heated seats...mmmmmmm
- sunroof... always wanted one, now have and love.
- i-stop. Silence at traffic lights!
- keyless entry, I just walk near the car and press a button, to lock I just walk away.
- leather seats, give it such a good look and feel.
- good deep cup holders.
- no 'dead area' yet for the keyless ignition.
- love running my i-river thru the centre console, it permanently lives there now.
- Bose 9 speakers (headbang)
- rain sensing wipers and auto headlights.

Did I say I love this car, the zippy engine, the low fuel consumption and the overall zoom-zoom.

Two small not so loves... the horn is pathetic, it's so well mannered! WTF! The vibration in the side mirror. First world problems

(bowdown)

Alpenrock
09-24-2012, 09:24 PM
First of all GAS mileage
2nd My smooth driving
3rd Blind Spot Monitoring system
4th Bi-Xenon headlights Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with automatic headlamp leveling
5th 19" Alloy wheels
6th CD Player (MP3 capable) with Bose premium audio system including 9 speakers with Centerpoint and Audiopilot
7th best of all is I like how the real time Kmpl lets me know what impact everything I do has on the Kmpl. I have already started changing some of my habits

8th is the best backup Camera

Triton46
09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
May have already been mentioned...the cruise control keeps it setting after a stop/start. :)

Gio26NJ
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Great in Hurricanes! drove over two bridges 60MPH gusts (from reports on the news) CX-5 stable as ever (alright)

IHeartGroceries
10-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I love the firm, positive feedback of the E-power assist steering. It is extremely similar to the feeling in my Speed6, which features R&P engine RPM sensing power assist. It is kinda weird how close they feel, considering they are vastly different systems. But, I really think Mazda nailed it, especially considering electronic assist is famously flat and loose feeling in lower end makes.
It is also very nimble and balanced, despite having a weight distribution of around 58/42 f/r.
Lastly, they have created an amazingly light weight vehicle. By comparison, my porky Speed6 weighs around 3600 lbs., which is several hundred pounds heavier than the CX-5 (FWD). I can't believe that. Even the AWD CX-5 weighs considerably less! That is a monumental achievment. Now, if the new 6 really weighs ~3,000 lbs (300 lbs less than current model), that is truly impressive.

MikeM.
10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I posted some of my likes in an earlier thread but I keep discovering new ones as the ownership continues. I LOVE this car!

I was picking up some lumber at the local home improvement store and I intended to get some 1x2's and 1x4's in 8 foot lengths so they would fit inside with the hatch closed (it was raining). As I carried them out to the parking lot I realized I had grabbed the 1x4's in 10 foot lengths! I thought I was going to have to go back inside and have them cut two feet off the ends. Imagine my surprise when they fit inside with the hatch closed!

I made sure the model I bought had the 40/20/40 seats (for snow skis and snowboards). I can take 3 others skiing with all the gear inside but the 40/20/40 feature is handy for much more.

I also love the cargo area. It fits my 5hp gasoline pressure washer and two extra long hoses without taking up even half of the cargo area (with the rear seatbacks in the "up" position)! I also like the 12V outlet that is back there. On trips I bring my 12V cooler chest for milk, cheese and beer and I never have to worry about getting ice (or having it melt in the bottom of the cooler).

I appreciate that the power windows can be closed without needing to continue to hold the switch in the "up" position. My 2010 Ford F-150 is not so nice. When I leave a ferry toll booth or card gate I need to continue to hold the switch on the Ford until the window closes. The Mazda window zips right up with just a click of the switch. It's the little things like this that make this car so easy to own.

I've been noticing how big the car is on the inside for how easily it parks in tiny spaces. This is really handy when parking spots are few and far between.

I LOVE the sound of the little 2.0 Liter 4 cylinder engine - it positively purrs and has plenty of power once one learns how to use it.

I really like how easy it is to get into and out of the CX-5, my Volvo S80 is too low and my F-150 4x4 is too high - the CX-5 is just right. I'm sure I'll appreciate this more and more as I get older. My elderly mother was loosing strength in her final days and I could see how much easier it was for her to get in and out when I took her shopping. That was priceless. She was amazed at the push button start (and I don't think I was able to convince her that it would not be easy for a thief to break in and drive it away).

I love the grippy rubber on the dashboard. When I am in an area with marginal cell phone reception I can put my rubber covered cell phone on top of the dash for clear reception and it sticks there like glue (even during emergency braking).

I'm not much into how a car looks as long as it gets me where I'm going with comfort, ease and efficiency. But I'm really enjoying noticing all the other motorists who appear captivated with my pearl white CX-5 at stop lights and intersections. Small children seem especially attracted to the looks as they cruise by in their parents big SUV in the adjacent lane with a look of "wow, that's a cool rig" on their little faces. Their eyes and expressions tell the story.

Fit, finish and quality. Maybe this comes from being built in Japan, the land where workers feel a real responsibility to their larger family, their employer. To let their employer down would disgrace their family. This is the first new car I've owned that, did not have at least one little item that required the dealers attention in the first 2000 miles of ownership. I sense this bodes well to the next 10 years.

Yes, I am a very happy camper with my new CX-5. This is my first Mazda and I can't imagine I would be so pleased had I opted for any of the competitors models. Thanks to all the early adopters on this forum that convinced me the Mazda was the right choice for me.

MazdaDriverNJ
10-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Great in Hurricanes! drove over two bridges 60MPH gusts (from reports on the news) CX-5 stable as ever (alright)
Have to agree with this one.. Had to run some errands today and felt quite confident in the car with this weather [hurricane Sandy touching down the east coast].
I have to agree and "like" all the features mentioned here already. I especially like that the car is light and the doors close easily; compact size that fits into small spaces. I think I got 2-3 feet of space back in the garage after my previous car!

watermelon
10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Have to agree with this one.. Had to run some errands today and felt quite confident in the car with this weather [hurricane Sandy touching down the east coast].
I have to agree and "like" all the features mentioned here already. I especially like that the car is light and the doors close easily; compact size that fits into small spaces. I think I got 2-3 feet of space back in the garage after my previous car!

Just got 29.5mpg with 100% city driving.
Interior space is nice and roomy, i find it just right.
Love the remote key, auto UP window feature, and 3-click turn signal option in particular
still love the manual shifter
car still feels incredibly light-footed and easy to drive hard.

miki69
10-30-2012, 07:38 AM
I agree with the most points mentioned above, however what I really like about CX-5 (comparing and coming from CX-7) is the "tech package". Finally you have decent screen, finally you have BMW-like parking sensors with graphics, all controls are where they belong and you don't have 10,000 idiotic buttons. Those are the things I have really missed in CX-7, definitely a huge leap forward for CX-5...

I definitely see CX-5 (I call it Japanese BMW (yippy) ) as a strong alternative for premium models like X3/Q5.

Cheers,
Miki

Snacks
11-26-2012, 06:12 PM
1. love the MPG's, especially coming from a 2000 Jeep Cherokee which felt like near the end of its life got 14 MPG lol
2. body styling is beautiful and yet aggressive
3. interior is very roomy and looks well built as opposed to "plastic-y"
4. for all the put downs about HP in the reviews, I'm happy with it, could it use more pep? sure but I'll take the added MPG's.
5. love the tech. (can't tell if I have a sport w/ extras or a touring lol)

this thread made me wish I had upgraded more.

CatButler
11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree on the AC, I had some friends in the car the other day and when I turned on the AC one said, 'well, your AC certainly works'!

The heater is pretty good too. I was driving to work today with the outside temp @35 F and it was too hot with anything above 1 click on the heat side. It also starts blowing hot air a lot quicker than other cars I have had.

Zeal-Girl
11-30-2012, 10:13 PM
The heater is pretty good too. I was driving to work today with the outside temp @35 F and it was too hot with anything above 1 click on the heat side. It also starts blowing hot air a lot quicker than other cars I have had.

On Thursday I was driving home and it wa 43 C (109F for you guys)... hot hot hot. Air con worked a treat without even putting it onto climate control. And driving up a hill it was not at all sluggish.

Love my CX-5.